Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Terry Nichols Sentenced to Life for Oklahoma City Bombing  (Read 3820 times)

jgruber

Terry Nichols Sentenced to Life for Oklahoma City Bombing
« on: August 09, 2004, 04:06:05 PM »
Justice?

Terry Nichols Sentenced to Life for Oklahoma City Bombing

Aug. 9 (Bloomberg) -- Terry Nichols, a conspirator in the Oklahoma City bombing, was sentenced to life in prison without the possibility of parole on 161 state murder counts, the Associated Press reported.

Nichols, 49, had already been sentenced to life in prison without parole on federal bombing charges in 1998, AP said. He didn't testify in either trial and asked for forgiveness in a statement submitted today, AP said.

District Judge Steven Taylor ordered Nichols to serve the 161 life sentences consecutively, AP said.

(AP 8-9)

dsong02

• Sr. Citizen
  • small. yellow. different.
    • View Profile
Re: Terry Nichols Sentenced to Life for Oklahoma City Bombing
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2004, 04:08:16 PM »
nope.

he should have fried.
'why does it hurt so much when i poke it?'

jgruber

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2004, 04:15:47 PM »

dsong02

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2004, 04:24:38 PM »
Why?

nope.

he should have fried.

i think its ridiculous that they keep a person who has caused (or conspired to cause) so much harm to live.  and at tax payer's expense.  why should i pay for him to live...yeah, he'll be in jail, but he still gets to live. thats just not right.

buster

« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2004, 04:26:13 PM »
Given the necessary precautions (i.e. the lengthy appeals process), a life sentence is far cheaper than execution.

Why?

nope.

he should have fried.

i think its ridiculous that they keep a person who has caused (or conspired to cause) so much harm to live.  and at tax payer's expense.  why should i pay for him to live...yeah, he'll be in jail, but he still gets to live. thats just not right.

dsong02

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2004, 04:27:40 PM »
but id rather pay to kill him than have him live.

thats something i would donate to...hopefully its tax deductible

Given the necessary precautions (i.e. the lengthy appeals process), a life sentence is far cheaper than execution.

Why?

nope.

he should have fried.

jgruber

« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2004, 04:28:13 PM »
That's your preference, but why is it justice?

Why?

nope.

he should have fried.

dsong02

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2004, 04:30:23 PM »
i never said that my solution was justice.  but i dont think life without parole is justice either.  i think if i were among the families of the 161 lost, id feel better.  i wouldnt care whether it was just or not...

Why?

nope.

he should have fried.

jgruber

« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2004, 04:32:48 PM »
Fair enough.  You did not say it was justice, but you hinted at it.

I suspect any of us would feel better if we had lost someone in the attack.

I'm not sure that is a good way to make public policy, but I can't disagree with the sentiment.

i never said that my solution was justice.  but i dont think life without parole is justice either.  i think if i were among the families of the 161 lost, id feel better.  i wouldnt care whether it was just or not...

Why?

nope.

he should have fried.