;

Author Topic: NYLS  (Read 17401 times)

Steve.jd

• LSD Obsessed
  • I'm edumacated now, still not photogenic though
    • View Profile
Re: NYLS
« Reply #190 on: May 08, 2006, 06:23:59 PM »
New York Law School sounds a hell of a lot more official than Columbia.

No kidding, who wants to learn the law at a school named after a third world country?

You can't possibly be this stupid. 

bobwil50 is clearly flame
HLS '09

4DClaw

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: May 08, 2006, 06:25:31 PM »
I hear there's a great school named after Thomas Jefferson. .
Georgetown

bobwil50

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #192 on: May 08, 2006, 06:29:37 PM »
New York Law School sounds a hell of a lot more official than Columbia.

No kidding, who wants to learn the law at a school named after a third world country?

You can't possibly be this stupid. 

bobwil50 is clearly flame

I wasn't 100% sure until he referenced the John Grisham novels. 

You probably have never read them.  They're good.
LSAT: 168
GPA: 3.8

Patrick Fitzgerald

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: May 08, 2006, 07:33:11 PM »
My friend once told me that NYLS reminded him of paris, in that the front steps are littered with cigarette butts, and the students are seeped in dispair. :)

Fidelio

« Reply #194 on: May 08, 2006, 07:53:56 PM »
My friend once told me that NYLS reminded him of paris, in that the front steps are littered with cigarette butts, and the students are seeped in dispair. :)

I happen to remember seeing a "Do not smoke within 10 feet of the door" (or something along that nature) sign posted at one of the doors of NYLS.

It was quite laughable.  What's more is that when I saw the folks by the front door, no one pretty much held regard for it.

dok101

• View Profile
« Reply #195 on: May 08, 2006, 10:31:46 PM »

People like to complain about how much they work.  You are sure to hear bitching when the 80 hour week rolls around, but not during a quiet 45-50 hour week. 

We have a regular work week of 40 hr. a week, but people in almost any industry regularly works 50-60 hr. a week. Epsecially for office workers, almost all have to put in 50+ hours if they want to get ahead with their career.  We don't hear insurance agents bitching about their long hours, and we don't hear investment bankers and accountants saying how bad their work is.  For one, I do know for a fact that investment bankers and accountants regularly put in 60+ a week and work regularly on weekends.  
For biglaw to have such notorious reputation for brutal hours, it must indeed has hours that far exceeds most other industries.  That of course, means 60+/week for most associates.  If the hour is 50-60, I would consider that normal, rather than brutal.  Another possibility is biglaw jobs might carry higher stress level than an let say an accounting job.  So although the hour is not much longer, lawyers feel as if they have been working all week. 

I worked for a Big 4 accounting firm and regular weekly hours fell in the 50-60 range.  Busy season hours were generally between 70-85.  With the advent of Sarbanes-Oxley, busy season is practically all year long now.

yiplong

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: May 08, 2006, 10:50:19 PM »

I worked for a Big 4 accounting firm and regular weekly hours fell in the 50-60 range.  Busy season hours were generally between 70-85.  With the advent of Sarbanes-Oxley, busy season is practically all year long now.

As I said, weekly hour of 50-60 is just the norm in almost all fields and in some, it might even be considered low.  Biglaws cannot possibly get a notorious reputation for working their associates long hours if they average only 50-60. 

Steve.jd

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: May 09, 2006, 07:07:58 AM »
good lord, there's an excruciating amount of inane drivel in this thread.

to zbt, if you get into hofstra, i would say go there.  otherwise, wait a year and reapply. 

also,

And Fitzgerald is mocking CUNY bc he's going to FORDHAM?! Wha? Is he the guy I diagnosed with little man disorder? Yet another symptom.

And maybe, if he was going to NYU or CLS... ;)

it would still be unacceptable behavior. 

Shhh, now that there are three of us in this thread, its clearly an ELITIST CLS conspiracy ;)
HLS '09

Steve.jd

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: May 09, 2006, 07:21:33 AM »
hold on while i PM southside a link to this thread.

Just put it in the CLS 2009 thread  ;) 8)
HLS '09

yiplong

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: May 09, 2006, 09:42:12 AM »

As I said, weekly hour of 50-60 is just the norm in almost all fields and in some, it might even be considered low.  Biglaws cannot possibly get a notorious reputation for working their associates long hours if they average only 50-60. 

How did you get a 173 with that level of reasoning?

My reasoning ability is so beyond your own level that you cannot possibly make sense of what I just said.  That is not to say that I am smart, but rather that you are a stupid dumb ass.