Law School Discussion

My trip to Iowa

yiplong

• View Profile
Re: My trip to Iowa
« Reply #20 on: May 02, 2006, 10:36:20 AM »
The biggest obstacle for my southern friends moving to the north is that stores, offices, schools do not close during snowfall.

Office and schools do close during snowfall.

« Reply #21 on: May 02, 2006, 10:38:24 AM »
The biggest obstacle for my southern friends moving to the north is that stores, offices, schools do not close during snowfall.

Office and schools do close during snowfall.

Not in Chicago.  Not usually in the other states (I've lived for short periods of time in Michigan and CT)..  CT residents seem to freak out a bit when it snows but most if not all work.  In NC everything shuts down.

p0six

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 02, 2006, 10:41:16 AM »
If public transportion is running, schools stay open is the general rule of thumb.

« Reply #23 on: May 02, 2006, 10:50:42 AM »
If public transportion is running, schools stay open is the general rule of thumb.

True, I'm just stating what I've seen.  NC cancels school (and so does CT to a lesser extent) when it snows while in all the years of schooling in Chicago it closed once.

« Reply #24 on: May 02, 2006, 11:38:39 AM »
Blocke123,

I thought you'd decided on Kent? As I recall, your major issue is whether or not Iowa places in Chicago, is that correct?

greengrl,

You just mentioned driving in snow. I hope its not too hard, I've never done it before. I suppose I can worry about that later after I've found a place to live and started going to class, haha.

I'll teach you--it's not bad as long as there isn't ice. If it's ice, well then, go slow and pray :) b/c there really isnt' much of anything you can do. Highways/Interstates are usually fine and campus I"m sure will be plowed so that will be ok, but I was just trying to avoid driving in from Corralville or farther in the snow.  However, I'm sure I could find a tractor to pull me out of the ditch if I land there :)

« Reply #25 on: May 02, 2006, 11:41:44 AM »

True, I'm just stating what I've seen.  NC cancels school (and so does CT to a lesser extent) when it snows while in all the years of schooling in Chicago it closed once.

hahahahah...oh.i'm sorry...i cant' help but laugh. close down our city for snow? oh please!!! it's like an invitation for everyone who doesn't know how to drive to hit the road all at once :)

The city is actually really good at snow removal for the most part and public transportation eases a lot of the burden. However, this year we got hit twice with "rush hour blizzards" -- snow fell super heavy from like 3 pm until rush hour making it a nightmare to get out of the city. This is rare, but when it happens, commutes will go as long as four hours from the city to the northern/western suburbs (usually a 45 min drive).

good thing we're all nerds and will be hanging out in the library :)

« Reply #26 on: May 02, 2006, 11:44:04 AM »
great review!

having spent some time in parts of west texas (and even some parts of houston) the ruralness isn't a big deal for me. i've shared the road with a horse on a few occasions, so a tractor isn't a huge deal...

the HOUSING however is a big deal...

run-down. does that mean just old? not well-kept? dilapidated? can you elaborate?

i might need to actually go and visit first before i decide where to live. yikes, i was hoping to be able to avoid that, but oh well.

again, great review. thanks for posting it.

I was totally going to PM you but I've been working almost non stop since I got back from Iowa. Housing is going to be a definite issue I think. I'm signed up for an apartment in the University Apts but they are just SO run down; they look old and institutional and just generally not so great. I will be up in the next few weeks to find some housing; hopefully we can find something a little nicer. I really want to avoid having to drive to school, though, so in that case I might just be stuck living there. There were also a lot of kids toys and I think there are a lot of families that live there which is bad bad bad for students trying to study. I dont' like kids--sorry, I like quiet. So I gotta figure that part out

Otherwise the school seems great

Cheer up!
I came from a poor family and beleive me, I have lived in some of the worst apartments known to mankind.  And generally, I would be willing to live a shithole for three years just to save money, so I will have more freedom at choosing diff. career path down the road. 
Three years is a long time, but it will pass. 

Yiplong you are right; I didnt' mean to sound like a "princess" I was just a little less than impressed. I think I"m just overwhelmed by the process in general--too many second thoughts.

We'll for sure miss you at Iowa--you seem super cool.

Greengrl...

What kind of placement questions did you ask?  Are you planning on working in Chicago after you leave?  I know there are nice townhouses esp in cedar rapids so that is always an option by the way just an FYI...

Also, maybe I'll see you there.  I haven't decided on Kent or Iowa yet..

Woo hoo; always eager for another person to join the Iowa train. Honestly I was really impressed with the school. placement was just what I expected; you'll work almost indefinitely within a 500 mile radius of Iowa; farther is always possible (everything is possible) but the reputation of the school will dissipate the farther you go. Duh. Chicago is an option; I'm not sure that it will make sense for me to return here but yes, if you want to work in Chicago you have the opportunity.

Cedar Rapids, hu? I really don't want to put a necessary car ride between me and school; I like the idea of being on a bus line

There is a website you can access for housing in Iowa.  I think you can access it from the main webpage.  I"m a little concerned about the housing situation myself.  However, if you truly want a better option (quality) then if Iowa is anything like UIUC you want to be at least a little off campus.

Also, what other schools did you get into?

I've started to look at a few of the property managers on the Iowa website but I think I'm just going to drive back up there next week and start looking around. It's not that far from Chicago so it's not too bad of a day trip. You're right, though; to find something half way decent I will probably have to go off campus but I really wanted to keep my costs down so I might have to just suck it up. My concern is that b/c Iowa is so rural, I dont' want to have to drive in the snow and such; even after living in snow for 26 odd years I still hate driving in it, even though Iowa really doesn't get AS much snow as we do here in Illinois and Ohio for that matter. Anyway, I got into SLU with a scholarship and turned that down, Case, Iowa; Held at Wisconsin, waitlisted at Notre Dame, Deferred at Chicago Kent--seriously I REALLY applied too late and to too few schools. If I had it to do over again I would have applied to at least fifteen schools; I think I might like a few more options.

oh well, live and learn :)

You should come to Kent, because all the cool kids are there...and by cool kids I mean me.      Oh yeah, and maybe Blocke123.  Chicago >>>>> Iowa City and you know it. :)  Although I was actually talking to a dental assistant today and she was like Iowa City is an awesome place, so I guess that's something. :)

Iowa city is really cute; Kent has me deferred?? Seriously people, it's may, make up your mind. I can think of ten million more things I would rather do this summer than wait for waitlists and deferrals :)

« Reply #27 on: May 02, 2006, 12:19:17 PM »
Iowa city is really cute; Kent has me deferred?? Seriously people, it's may, make up your mind. I can think of ten million more things I would rather do this summer than wait for waitlists and deferrals :)
[/quote]

Would you go to Kent if they took you off their Deferral list? If so, why?

« Reply #28 on: May 02, 2006, 12:48:49 PM »

[/quote]

More than likely, no. Outside of cost of living, which as a single woman I can't justify, I want to do Biotech IP; it makes so much more sense for me to be at a school that is a major research institution like Iowa. My law school path will probably be a little less than typical....Iowa seems to be ok with that, CK seems WAY too concerned with rankings and such and my friends that went there say that their students are ridiculously competitive. I mean, law school IS competitive but I need to feel SOME sort of collegiate atmosphere.

I just wish I would have applied to more schools!

p0six

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 02, 2006, 01:10:29 PM »

More than likely, no. Outside of cost of living, which as a single woman I can't justify, I want to do Biotech IP; it makes so much more sense for me to be at a school that is a major research institution like Iowa. My law school path will probably be a little less than typical....Iowa seems to be ok with that, CK seems WAY too concerned with rankings and such and my friends that went there say that their students are ridiculously competitive. I mean, law school IS competitive but I need to feel SOME sort of collegiate atmosphere.

I just wish I would have applied to more schools!
[/quote]

Why would it matter if the law school is attached to a major research institution?