Law School Discussion

My trip to Iowa

My trip to Iowa
« on: April 30, 2006, 03:17:41 PM »
For those of you still considering or just plain out curious, I'll post what I can about my trip to Iowa.

I went during finals so I admittedly did not do a lot of the tour, sit in a class etc.. stuff that most people do during a visit which is great b/c I'm less concerned with what the classroom looks like. The campus is cute; I've never been in a college town and Iowa City seems to be the definition of--the city literally revolves around the University. The law school is on the west side of campus. It is near the University Hospital and what appeared to be some undergraduate dorms although I'm not sure. There are hills EVERYWHERE--as well as tons of huge yellow buses that shuttle everyone around from different areas of the campus and the city. There are buses that run downtown, from the Univ apts; pretty much anywhere a student would want to go. It is very clear the city revolves around the University.

The undergrad campus is on the other side of the "river"; there is a huge footbridge that connects the two and you can find your typical restaurant/bar far on the other side of that. Lots of cute little shops, everyone was out walking, parking was kind of a pain but it seems that you really can walk to take a bus anywhere within campus you want to. For those who will be driving around like me there is a big mall a few miles away in Corralville and your typical grocery, Walmart etc...

It is VERY VERY VERY rural. I was disapointed in the quality of housing b/c it's mostly run down crap holes for undergrads. So that will be an issue.  If you have never been in the rural midwest then you need to visit Iowa before attending. I personally love it so I feel like i"m a bit biased, however, even as a midwest girl I was a little shocked. It will be a huge adjustment from living in Chicago and I"m a little nervous. Cost of living is great but I'm not sure how to deal with the lack of nightlife and such. Realistically I can't afford the $500 bottle service nights out anymore so maybe it's a good thing  ;) but it will be an adjustment. RURAL!! Agh! I can't stress this enough---you will share the road with tractors; two lane, super hilly, very narrow rural roads with farms and tractors EVERYWHERE. If you've never lived in a rurual areal then check it out.

What I feel really distinguishes Iowa from other top 25 schools is their attitude towards their students. It's so clear it's not a smoke and mirrors thing; they really care about their students, they are SO incredibly nice and helpful and I can only imagine that when we're strung out on caffeine and stress a friendly face will mean a whole lot more than it might now. It's a midwest thing--life is at a much slower pace in Iowa and if that bothers you then I can see you not being happy at Iowa. I met with a 2L prof, Career Services and the Dean of Admissions--none of whom were afraid to take on some of the tougher questions regarding career placement etc..

The Univ apts are really run down and I was really disappointed with that. Housing, I think, will be a real issue. You share the campus with undergrads, for sure. The city of Iowa City is a little run down, there is still minimal tornado damage that needs to be cleaned up but nothing crazy; however the city is just...I don't know, for lack of better words--run down. The downtown area that seems to cater to students and such is nice, and there are some really cute older historical homes and such, but also some much older, not so taken care of homes in the area as well. Again, these are just observations. The Univ facilities, however, minus the housing, are really nice.

That's about all I've got; I spent most of my time in the car driving from Chicago and then back that night so I apologize my review might not be that great. I will return in a few more weeks so I can post more then

Kevin26.2

• i love this movie
    • View Profile
Re: My trip to Iowa
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2006, 07:47:00 PM »
great review!

having spent some time in parts of west texas (and even some parts of houston) the ruralness isn't a big deal for me. i've shared the road with a horse on a few occasions, so a tractor isn't a huge deal...

the HOUSING however is a big deal...

run-down. does that mean just old? not well-kept? dilapidated? can you elaborate?

i might need to actually go and visit first before i decide where to live. yikes, i was hoping to be able to avoid that, but oh well.

again, great review. thanks for posting it.

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2006, 08:05:28 PM »
great review!

having spent some time in parts of west texas (and even some parts of houston) the ruralness isn't a big deal for me. i've shared the road with a horse on a few occasions, so a tractor isn't a huge deal...

run-down. does that mean just old? not well-kept? dilapidated? can you elaborate?

i might need to actually go and visit first before i decide where to live. yikes, i was hoping to be able to avoid that, but oh well.

I was totally going to PM you but I've been working almost non stop since I got back from Iowa. Housing is going to be a definite issue I think. I'm signed up for an apartment in the University Apts but they are just SO run down; they look old and institutional and just generally not so great. I will be up in the next few weeks to find some housing; hopefully we can find something a little nicer. I really want to avoid having to drive to school, though, so in that case I might just be stuck living there. There were also a lot of kids toys and I think there are a lot of families that live there which is bad bad bad for students trying to study. I dont' like kids--sorry, I like quiet. So I gotta figure that part out

Otherwise the school seems great

yiplong

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2006, 11:22:29 AM »
great review!

I was totally going to PM you but I've been working almost non stop since I got back from Iowa. Housing is going to be a definite issue I think. I'm signed up for an apartment in the University Apts but they are just SO run down; they look old and institutional and just generally not so great. I will be up in the next few weeks to find some housing; hopefully we can find something a little nicer. I really want to avoid having to drive to school, though, so in that case I might just be stuck living there. There were also a lot of kids toys and I think there are a lot of families that live there which is bad bad bad for students trying to study. I dont' like kids--sorry, I like quiet. So I gotta figure that part out

Cheer up!
I came from a poor family and beleive me, I have lived in some of the worst apartments known to mankind.  And generally, I would be willing to live a shithole for three years just to save money, so I will have more freedom at choosing diff. career path down the road. 
Three years is a long time, but it will pass. 

« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2006, 11:28:11 AM »
great review!

Cheer up!
I came from a poor family and beleive me, I have lived in some of the worst apartments known to mankind.  And generally, I would be willing to live a shithole for three years just to save money, so I will have more freedom at choosing diff. career path down the road. 
Three years is a long time, but it will pass. 

Yiplong you are right; I didnt' mean to sound like a "princess" I was just a little less than impressed. I think I"m just overwhelmed by the process in general--too many second thoughts.

We'll for sure miss you at Iowa--you seem super cool.

p0six

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2006, 12:02:17 PM »
The obvious solution is for you to live in the undergraduate dorms.  Then you will be surrounded by little 18 year old teeny boppers and feel so old that you'll want, no...CRAVE to study.  Top of your class!

yiplong

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2006, 12:14:49 PM »
The obvious solution is for you to live in the undergraduate dorms.  Then you will be surrounded by little 18 year old teeny boppers and feel so old that you'll want, no...CRAVE to study.  Top of your class!

If Iowa is anything like my undergra, I would surely stay away from undergrads.  Imagine thundering music all day long and drunk chick everything from Thursday night to Sunday evening. 

Kevin26.2

• i love this movie
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2006, 02:11:23 PM »

If Iowa is anything like my undergra, I would surely stay away from undergrads.  Imagine thundering music all day long and drunk chick everything from Thursday night to Sunday evening. 

wait, how is this a problem? part of my reason for going back to school is because i heard facebook was awesome.

p0six

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2006, 02:18:04 PM »

All you're telling me is that we should go to the library during the day and stay in the dorms during the weekend. :)

yiplong

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2006, 02:29:17 PM »
To tell you the truth, I kind of miss the days when I can get drunk with a bunch of young chicks and dance around puking all over the floor.  What a life!