Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Academic Dismissal... how much does it hurt?  (Read 403 times)

arlhello

• View Profile
    • LSN
Academic Dismissal... how much does it hurt?
« on: April 29, 2006, 08:36:50 PM »
My freshman year of college was a bit rough, I was put on academic probation after my first semester, academic dismissal after my second semester (I took too many hours, 19...), after an appeal I was taken off dismissal (however it still shows up on my transcript) and took one summer class (Calculus) which I got a D in and was then put on a one year dimissal.  I took one semester off, then went to the local Community College for the next semester where I took 6 hours and got an A and a B.  I then went back to my University (University of Texas) and have not received less than an A since.  When I apply to law school my GPA (after redoing 10 hours from the first semester and getting all A's) will be around a 3.3 and my LSAT will be around 170.  Obviously, I am a splitter, but will the academic dismissal affect me majorly?  Here is the list of schools I'm planning to apply to (I'm casting a wide net).
American University
DePaul University
George Washington University
Northeastern University
Pepperdine University
Seton Hall University
University of Colorado
University of Connecticut
University of Denver
University of Houston
University of Iowa
University of Maine
University of Maryland
University of Michigan
University of Minnesota
University of Pennsylvania
University of Texas
University of Utah
University of Virginia
University of Wisconsin (my number one choice)
Vermont Law School

Are there any I should take off the list?  Also, I have no real work experience and no major soft factors (just a few clubs).  And, I'm not a URM.  How good are my chances?

Towlie

Re: Academic Dismissal... how much does it hurt?
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2006, 11:25:35 PM »
Just a side note.. You said you took 10 credit hours again and got A's in them, but you need to realize LSAC will take into account the original grade you recieved in the class AND the new ones. So say you got a C originally and an A when you took it again.. it will average out to a B.

So, I'm not sure if you took that into account but, if not, your GPA may be lower.