Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Rutgers ranking question  (Read 491 times)

Evolve

• Sr. Citizen
    • MSN Messenger - ekleveland@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Kapuda
    • View Profile
    • Email
Rutgers ranking question
« on: April 29, 2006, 05:22:48 PM »
I'm trying to decide between several schools regarding where I'll attend next year. I'm leaning heavily towards Rutgers at this point, but its my understanding that they do not rank their students and instead just assign grades. Now, I am not going to go anywhere with the plan to transfer elsewhere and am more than aware of the folly in that kind of thinking. However, the ability to transfer if I don't like a place or if I do exceptionally well is an option I want to keep open. That being said, would going to Rutgers (or any other school with a non-ranking policy) hinder that ability or would the grades received instead substitute for the rank in some manner?

Towlie

Re: Rutgers ranking question
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2006, 01:03:54 AM »
I'm trying to decide between several schools regarding where I'll attend next year. I'm leaning heavily towards Rutgers at this point, but its my understanding that they do not rank their students and instead just assign grades. Now, I am not going to go anywhere with the plan to transfer elsewhere and am more than aware of the folly in that kind of thinking. However, the ability to transfer if I don't like a place or if I do exceptionally well is an option I want to keep open. That being said, would going to Rutgers (or any other school with a non-ranking policy) hinder that ability or would the grades received instead substitute for the rank in some manner?

It's fairly easy to find out what the curve is at any school, so if the curve is a B- and you have all A's and a few B's (for instance), it's pretty easy to determine you are towards the top of your class. In the end, not having a rank will make life for you a bit less stressful and no, it will not hurt your transfer options. Best of luck!

dmitrik4

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Rutgers ranking question
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2006, 12:11:58 PM »
while rutgers doesn't rank students, they still calculate where certain percentage cutoffs lie based on students' GPAs.  don't know about newark, but camden has Dean's Scholars (top 5% of all students) and Dean's List (next 10% of students) each semester, as well as 1L honors.  so based on those cutoffs, you can figure out if you're in the neighborhood.  a lot of schools don't rank, and schools and employers understand that.  BTW, camden's 1L curve is about a 3.0.