Law School Discussion

ADVICE to the next cycle of applicants

Kittyl30

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: ADVICE to the next cycle of applicants
« Reply #100 on: June 26, 2007, 08:17:48 AM »
i dotn see whats wrong in advising someone to visit a school. i, for one think location is a huge factor and know nothing about the areas a great majority of the schools are in and would DEFINITLY have to visit.  and i still do adhere to the advice of go to the best school you get in to. but if its between NYU and Penn, and you hate big cities, you may want to go to penn..

Alamo

• View Profile
« Reply #101 on: June 26, 2007, 10:18:01 AM »
Eat a healthy breakfast.  Every morning.

Kittyl30

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #102 on: June 26, 2007, 10:26:36 AM »
buy nice suits to interview in

« Reply #103 on: June 26, 2007, 05:15:29 PM »
suzie! I'm surprised to see my old thread bumped and to see you on here again. how was 1L?

newbies: read this thread. the whole thing. it is gold.

SplitFinger

• I'm a real pretend lawyer now!
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: June 26, 2007, 07:03:14 PM »
I don't agree.  I only visited Michigan because I received a full scholarship.  I liked it so much that I ended choosing it over higher ranked schools, inclusing Harvard and an almost full scholarship at NYU.  In the end, you have to make the choice that's right for you.  Would I have had more 'options' out of Harvard?  Of  course.  Will I still have fantastic options out of Michigan?  Of course.  There comes a point when schools are close enough that career prospects shouldn't be the only deciding factor or even the major factor.

If you do poorly at Michigan, you'll wish that you were doing poorly at Harvard.  Because doing poorly at Harvard is better than doing poorly at pretty much any other school.

But as a URM, you don't need to worry about that anyway.  Some day my career services office will stop sending me reminders about Yet Another Minority Recruiting Job Fair, and on that day I shall celebrate.

« Reply #105 on: June 26, 2007, 07:05:39 PM »
I don't agree.  I only visited Michigan because I received a full scholarship.  I liked it so much that I ended choosing it over higher ranked schools, inclusing Harvard and an almost full scholarship at NYU.  In the end, you have to make the choice that's right for you.  Would I have had more 'options' out of Harvard?  Of  course.  Will I still have fantastic options out of Michigan?  Of course.  There comes a point when schools are close enough that career prospects shouldn't be the only deciding factor or even the major factor.

If you do poorly at Michigan, you'll wish that you were doing poorly at Harvard.  Because doing poorly at Harvard is better than doing poorly at pretty much any other school.

But as a URM, you don't need to worry about that anyway.  Some day my career services office will stop sending me reminders about Yet Another Minority Recruiting Job Fair, and on that day I shall celebrate.

there was a thread on xoxo in which a poster regretted turning down the Darrow in favor of HLS bc all he wanted was a firm gig.  in cases like that, it doesn't make sense to go into added debt just for the name.

« Reply #106 on: June 26, 2007, 07:12:26 PM »

Doing poorly for free is pretty nice though.

titcr

Last King of Edinburgh

• Born to rule
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: June 26, 2007, 07:14:58 PM »
APPLY EARLY, APPLY EARLY APPLY EARLY!!!

Wonder why? take a look at my sig. Dont get shafted like I did, taking the december LSAT, applying by late dec-jan even with great numbers already puts you at a disadvantage.

Titus

« Reply #108 on: June 26, 2007, 07:16:28 PM »
Hey, uhh your link to the "essay" takes me to YouTube

Really my advice ...

I have to say it is absolutey essential for you to read this brand new essay by Anna Ivey about the process.

You'll be glad you did!

« Reply #109 on: June 26, 2007, 07:25:04 PM »
Hey, uhh your link to the "essay" takes me to YouTube

Really my advice ...

I have to say it is absolutey essential for you to read this brand new essay by Anna Ivey about the process.

You'll be glad you did!

You've just been Rick Roll'd!!!