Law School Discussion

ADVICE to the next cycle of applicants

Zam

• View Profile
Re: ADVICE to the next cycle of applicants
« Reply #90 on: January 31, 2007, 02:18:42 PM »
wow, i remember when i started this thread...

How does it feel to be incredibly old by LSD standards?

« Reply #91 on: January 31, 2007, 02:20:05 PM »
wow, i remember when i started this thread...

How does it feel to be incredibly old by LSD standards?

By LSD standards I'm just middle-aged. Some people have been here twice as long.

Kittyl30

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #92 on: June 25, 2007, 07:36:38 PM »
hmmm.....

its been said by so many..but really, From now personal experience.if you want to do BIGLAW go to the best school you get in to.  too many people think that its so easy to be at the top of the class at a t2 and they can get a good job in NYC or other high paying markets.  OCI is a female dog and super super competitive.  dont turn down a t14 for a scholarship somewhere else if you seriously want to work in a firm. 

that said, if you get a scholarship to say UVA but no money from harvard, you may want to pick UVA. but if its between UVA and even something like william and mary, pick UVA.

but thats just my opinion

flyaway

• View Profile
« Reply #93 on: June 25, 2007, 07:46:36 PM »
If you are taking the December LSAT, go ahead and send in the apps for what you think will be your target and reach schools during those weeks while you're waiting for the score.  That way, the schools are only waiting for that score, and you'll be complete before most Dec LSAT takers. 

But hold off on sending your safety school apps until you get your score, because you may find that you don't really need them, and you can save yourself the money or use it for some super reaches instead.

AJaKe

• No, a law student!
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #94 on: June 25, 2007, 07:47:08 PM »
Taggity tag tag.

bubDread

• View Profile
« Reply #95 on: June 25, 2007, 07:48:52 PM »
Don't take the personal statement for granted (especially if you're applying to top-top schools). Even if you have a decent LSAT and GPA, schools may have more applicants with your combination then they can afford to accept. Don't be the one who gets cut!

I work with molten iron.

pretty cool at 2700 degrees F.

Kittyl30

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #96 on: June 25, 2007, 07:51:13 PM »
visit the school!!!! research professors, check out facilities, etc.

SplitFinger

• I'm a real pretend lawyer now!
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: June 26, 2007, 01:52:39 AM »

Really?  I liked your advice about going to the best school you get into much better.  A law school is a law school is a law school, for the most part.  There are good things about all of them, and things that suck about all of them.  The only important thing about them is what they are going to do for you when you're trying to get a job (i.e., what school looks best on your resume).  Don't go to a school that isn't going to do the most for your career prospects because it's got better sticky buns at the reception.

« Reply #98 on: June 26, 2007, 02:16:46 AM »
HYS only. Everything else = waste.

pikey

• Did ya do it? Then why are ya sorry?
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: June 26, 2007, 08:06:20 AM »

Really?  I liked your advice about going to the best school you get into much better.  A law school is a law school is a law school, for the most part.  There are good things about all of them, and things that suck about all of them.  The only important thing about them is what they are going to do for you when you're trying to get a job (i.e., what school looks best on your resume).  Don't go to a school that isn't going to do the most for your career prospects because it's got better sticky buns at the reception.

I don't agree.  I only visited Michigan because I received a full scholarship.  I liked it so much that I ended choosing it over higher ranked schools, inclusing Harvard and an almost full scholarship at NYU.  In the end, you have to make the choice that's right for you.  Would I have had more 'options' out of Harvard?  Of  course.  Will I still have fantastic options out of Michigan?  Of course.  There comes a point when schools are close enough that career prospects shouldn't be the only deciding factor or even the major factor.