ADVICE to the next cycle of applicants

Lily Jaye

• A Schizophrenic Veronica
    • View Profile
Re: ADVICE to the next cycle of applicants
« Reply #70 on: May 06, 2006, 02:52:41 PM »
my advice

APPLY TO REACHES!!

not to say you shouldn't apply to a large range of schools including targets and safties, but include a few schools you're numbers may not quite be good enough to get into but you really want to go to. why? b/c i ended up not getting a single rejection lette rthis cycle and only one deferral. this is not b/c I have a 178 and a 4.0 and got into every top 14 it is b/c i didnt apply to enough reach schools and did not apply to a single top 14 school. and b/c my numbers are NOT that high i am not apply waiting a year and re appying but going to a very good top tier 1 school, just out of the top 14.. now i am left constly wondering "what if..." dont let this happen to you

research where you apply carefully. dont be like "yeah that has a good name i think ill apply there." figure out if it is really somewhere you would actually like to study

someone said that $$ should not be a factor. i could not disagree more. you need to weigh prestige AND money.  dont give up a top ten for a TTTT, but i dont think somethign like choosing the hamilton over HYS is necessarily a big "step down"

Seconded.  It's very important to remember that when people say "you have better job opportunities at higher ranked schools," what they really mean is that the GPA cutoffs for elite Vault 50 firms are lower.  That's great, but law is still a pretty regional discipline.

Alamo

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: May 06, 2006, 03:19:42 PM »
Also, I may be off base on this (feel free to shoot me down if I am), but if you get a fee waiver from a school you're really interested in, write a personalized letter to the dean of admissions thanking them for the fee waiver and stating what you like about the school.

I did this with Columbia and W&L.  I'm on the Columbia reserve list when my application could easily have been rejected outright, like it was from UChicago and Georgetown.  W&L was my first acceptance and gave me a better scholarship, most likely, than I deserved.

Maybe with Columbia, this just speaks to good luck, and is a better argument for casting a wide net than anything.  You never know who in an admissions committee is going to see your application and really like a particular thing about it that other schools' admissions committees may not give a second glance.  Apply to every reach that you have a shot at that you'd go to if accepted.

« Reply #72 on: June 26, 2006, 12:23:21 PM »
baff...excellent thread

« Reply #73 on: June 26, 2006, 12:27:04 PM »
baff...excellent thread

thank you!!! this just goes to show that not all of my threads are pointless. :)

skeeball

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: June 26, 2006, 02:06:21 PM »
Bippity Bippity BAFF!

Sgee44

• AOL Instant Messenger - sgee44
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: June 26, 2006, 02:09:57 PM »
My important piece of advice- just because your waitlisted doesnt mean you dont have a chance!

« Reply #76 on: June 26, 2006, 02:16:11 PM »
My important piece of advice- just because your waitlisted doesnt mean you dont have a chance!

doesn't mean you do have a chance, either. :P

spud1987

« Reply #77 on: June 26, 2006, 02:56:49 PM »
I have a question.  How long does it take for LSDAS to process transcripts.  I want to wait for my summer grades to come in so I wouldn't have them sent till around August 20.  However, I want to have all my apps in by the middle of sept at the latest.  Thanks and great thread btw. 

« Reply #78 on: June 26, 2006, 03:02:04 PM »
I have a question.  How long does it take for LSDAS to process transcripts.  I want to wait for my summer grades to come in so I wouldn't have them sent till around August 20.  However, I want to have all my apps in by the middle of sept at the latest.  Thanks and great thread btw. 

I sent mine in a week ago Friday (the 16th) and it was just processed today. You should be fine.

skeeball

• View Profile
« Reply #79 on: June 26, 2006, 03:09:24 PM »

I sent mine in in March and they processed it in like, 3 days.