Law School Discussion

ADVICE to the next cycle of applicants

Denny Crane

• Where's my Shirley Schmidt-ho?
    • View Profile
Re: ADVICE to the next cycle of applicants
« Reply #160 on: July 28, 2007, 10:30:59 PM »
2.) The LSAT reporting change is your friend.  If you get a score you're disappointed with, take the test again.  There is much less risk in taking it again now than there was before the policy change.

The new policy is indeed your friend, unless of course it isn't.  If you get a score you are satisfied but not thrilled with the first time, you are now obligated to retake in order to keep up with the Joneses and give yourself a fair shot at scholarships and reach schools.  Enjoy!

Eh, I think the impact of the ABA policy change is pretty minor. I don't think many applicants even know about it. I doubt US News lsat medians are going to skyrocket next year.

Most of the people on this board know about the change, and that's who this advice is geared to (clearly). 

« Reply #161 on: July 29, 2007, 09:11:58 AM »
2.) The LSAT reporting change is your friend.  If you get a score you're disappointed with, take the test again.  There is much less risk in taking it again now than there was before the policy change.

The new policy is indeed your friend, unless of course it isn't.  If you get a score you are satisfied but not thrilled with the first time, you are now obligated to retake in order to keep up with the Joneses and give yourself a fair shot at scholarships and reach schools.  Enjoy!

Eh, I think the impact of the ABA policy change is pretty minor. I don't think many applicants even know about it. I doubt US News lsat medians are going to skyrocket next year.

Most of the people on this board know about the change, and that's who this advice is geared to (clearly). 

True, but such a low percentage overall of people who are applying to law school use this and other boards, I'm not sure it helps to retake that 170+ just because you can.

Denny Crane

• View Profile
« Reply #162 on: July 29, 2007, 09:15:20 AM »

True, but such a low percentage overall of people who are applying to law school use this and other boards, I'm not sure it helps to retake that 170+ just because you can.

True, but I'm not saying everyone should retake just because they can.  I'm saying that people who score lower than they feel they can score should retake it.  For example, someone who scores a 163 when they were practicing at around 167-68 should feel free to retake it since there is not very little downside in retaking.  Who knows, that person might score a 175  on the retake :)

flyaway

• View Profile
« Reply #163 on: July 29, 2007, 12:12:20 PM »
I also think that this change isn't good for everybody, simply because it's not good for those who are able to do well on the LSAT on their first try.  It diminishes their advantage a little, when more people have similar or higher scores because of being able to take multiple times to get them.

Denny Crane

• View Profile
« Reply #164 on: July 29, 2007, 12:39:19 PM »
I also think that this change isn't good for everybody, simply because it's not good for those who are able to do well on the LSAT on their first try.  It diminishes their advantage a little, when more people have similar or higher scores because of being able to take multiple times to get them.

Yeah, that's true.  However, the vast majority of people don't do significantly better on retakes of the LSAT, so your advantage is fairly secure.  Also, adcoms have stated that even though they'll take the higher of two scores, they will give a slight advantage to an applicant who managed to pull a high score the first time around when comparing that person against someone who scored highly on a retake.

The people who are most likely to be hurt by this change are low-GPA/high-LSAT splitters, though even then it's hard to measure how much they'd be hurt.

->Soon

• View Profile
« Reply #165 on: July 30, 2007, 08:19:24 AM »
whats the huge deal on applying early?  do they do admissions on a first come first served basis?

« Reply #166 on: July 30, 2007, 08:33:58 AM »

True, but I'm not saying everyone should retake just because they can.  I'm saying that people who score lower than they feel they can score should retake it.  For example, someone who scores a 163 when they were practicing at around 167-68 should feel free to retake it since there is not very little downside in retaking.  Who knows, that person might score a 175  on the retake :)

I hope not!

Matthew

• Formerly known as /\_-=-M-=-_/\
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: July 30, 2007, 11:42:26 AM »
whats the huge deal on applying early?  do they do admissions on a first come first served basis?

Are you kidding?

Every law school has a rolling admissions process, so yes, absolutely.

Aside from improving your LSAT, getting your app in early is probably the best thing you can do to improve your chances of acceptance.

« Reply #168 on: July 30, 2007, 11:44:30 AM »

you've been here how long and you are actually asking this quesiton?!?!?!

->Soon

• View Profile
« Reply #169 on: July 30, 2007, 11:47:47 AM »
i focused on one thing at a time

now that the lsat is done, its time for me to start focusing on the application process.