Law School Discussion

ADVICE to the next cycle of applicants

SplitFinger

• I'm a real pretend lawyer now!
    • View Profile
Re: ADVICE to the next cycle of applicants
« Reply #140 on: July 01, 2007, 10:07:18 PM »
You vastly overestimate your own importance.  Very few people are concerned with the opinions of self-impressed law-student-wannabes.

TwinkyBean

• It's Yellow.
    • AOL Instant Messenger - TwinkyBean
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: July 01, 2007, 10:17:52 PM »

-Make the LSAT your female dog, or you will become its female dog. I took in June and retook in October, I burnt myself out with like 25 practice tests, I reached my peak, stayed there a while, then I dropped. Don't let this happen to you.

more to come. others, please add your own advice!

I totally burnt myself out at the end, and totally crashed the day of the test!! How do I not let myself do that again?.. Every second I wasn't studying, I was thinking about it.. and feeling guilty for not doing it.. I got slightly obsessed, and ended up screwing myself over.. :( 

« Reply #142 on: July 02, 2007, 11:33:32 AM »

-Make the LSAT your female dog, or you will become its female dog. I took in June and retook in October, I burnt myself out with like 25 practice tests, I reached my peak, stayed there a while, then I dropped. Don't let this happen to you.

I totally burnt myself out at the end, and totally crashed the day of the test!! How do I not let myself do that again?.. Every second I wasn't studying, I was thinking about it.. and feeling guilty for not doing it.. I got slightly obsessed, and ended up screwing myself over.. :( 

Do not worry, 2nd time around it will be much easier.  The experience you got from taking the LSAT in JUne will jelp you deal with stress as you are more familiar with the test now.

TwinkyBean

• It's Yellow.
    • AOL Instant Messenger - TwinkyBean
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: July 02, 2007, 10:34:58 PM »

Do not worry, 2nd time around it will be much easier.  The experience you got from taking the LSAT in JUne will jelp you deal with stress as you are more familiar with the test now.

I'm definitely feeling that way.. i'm ready to start studying again.. I feel much more familiar with it, and not so stressed out about it. This month has been a nice break from it all..

cassise

• To eliminate any confusion
    • AOL Instant Messenger - cassise0414
    • View Profile
    • My journey to law school starting soph year
    • Email
« Reply #144 on: July 26, 2007, 03:45:37 PM »
Tips:

Study for the LSAT, no matter what else you have going on, study for the LSAT.  If you cannot take a class get the PS/TM coursebooks and do it on your own.  No matter how much you think your soft factors are awsome, your LSAT will be the single most important factor in your application.

Don't get lazy on the essays.  Yes writting school specific essays is a drag but do it.

Dont fret over two places in the US News rankings.  20 places prolly matters, especially in T1, but a handful of spots means nothing, don't be a slave to the rankings.

Visit schools. 

APPLY EARLY there is NO NO NO NO excuse to not apply early other than lazyness.  Don't make the mistake of waiting to send out your applications.

Denny Crane

• Where's my Shirley Schmidt-ho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: July 27, 2007, 03:26:32 PM »
Tips (probably been repeated ad nauseum by previous posters):

1.) Apply early.  The earlier, the better.

2.) The LSAT reporting change is your friend.  If you get a score you're disappointed with, take the test again.  There is much less risk in taking it again now than there was before the policy change.

3.) Essays matter for everyone, not just people on the margins.  If you have high numbers, you're likely applying to schools that have hundreds/thousands of applicants with similar numbers, so make sure you make yourself stand out w/ your essay.

4.) Explain any awards/scholarships you have, don't just name them.  What were they for?  What do they provide?  Why should the adcom care you got it?

5.) Get your recommenders to send their letters ASAP.  Keep on them.  Don't let them brush you aside. 

6.) Make sure your recommenders have something good to say about you.  Make sure you get people who know you well to write letters on your behalf.  Names/position of recommenders matters much less than how well they know you and how well they can speak to your abilities and accomplishments.  Basically, get someone who would be enthusiastic about writing a letter for you.  That way you can avoid problems with tip #5 above.

7.) Once your apps are out, let them be.  You've done what you can.  Try to avoid falling into the LSD speculation trap.  You'll get your decision eventually. 

Good luck to future applicants.

« Reply #146 on: July 27, 2007, 03:31:44 PM »

1.) Apply early. The earlier, the better.

2.) The LSAT reporting change is your friend. If you get a score you're disappointed with, take the test again. There is much less risk in taking it again now than there was before the policy change.

3.) Essays matter for everyone, not just people on the margins. If you have high numbers, you're likely applying to schools that have hundreds/thousands of applicants with similar numbers, so make sure you make yourself stand out w/ your essay.

4.) Explain any awards/scholarships you have, don't just name them. What were they for? What do they provide? Why should the adcom care you got it?

5.) Get your recommenders to send their letters ASAP. Keep on them. Don't let them brush you aside.

6.) Make sure your recommenders have something good to say about you. Make sure you get people who know you well to write letters on your behalf. Names/position of recommenders matters much less than how well they know you and how well they can speak to your abilities and accomplishments. Basically, get someone who would be enthusiastic about writing a letter for you. That way you can avoid problems with tip #5 above.

7.) Once your apps are out, let them be. You've done what you can. Try to avoid falling into the LSD speculation trap. You'll get your decision eventually.

Very nice! I'd like to boil your suggestions down to a few key things:

BE EARLY WITH EVERYTHING, APPS, RECS, LSAT

RETAKE IF YOU CAN DO BETTER

PUT YOUR HEART AND SOUL INTO YOUR ESSAYS AND TELL THEM WHAT IS SPECIAL ABOUT YOU, DON'T BE SHY

FOLLOW UP WITH EVERYTHING, APPS, RECS, ETC.

« Reply #147 on: July 27, 2007, 03:36:48 PM »

1.) Apply early.  The earlier, the better.

2.) The LSAT reporting change is your friend.  If you get a score you're disappointed with, take the test again.  There is much less risk in taking it again now than there was before the policy change.

3.) Essays matter for everyone, not just people on the margins.  If you have high numbers, you're likely applying to schools that have hundreds/thousands of applicants with similar numbers, so make sure you make yourself stand out w/ your essay.

4.) Explain any awards/scholarships you have, don't just name them.  What were they for?  What do they provide?  Why should the adcom care you got it?

5.) Get your recommenders to send their letters ASAP.  Keep on them.  Don't let them brush you aside. 

6.) Make sure your recommenders have something good to say about you.  Make sure you get people who know you well to write letters on your behalf.  Names/position of recommenders matters much less than how well they know you and how well they can speak to your abilities and accomplishments.  Basically, get someone who would be enthusiastic about writing a letter for you.  That way you can avoid problems with tip #5 above.

7.) Once your apps are out, let them be.  You've done what you can.  Try to avoid falling into the LSD speculation trap.  You'll get your decision eventually. 

i pretty much agree with all of Denny's points.  2 things tho:

1) apply early by all means--but don't kill yourself to get apps out as soon as schools will take them.  honestly, i've seen ppl apply to schools almost 2 months b4 me and i got my answer WAY before them and our stats were similar.  obviously, applying earlier than me didn't help them.  if you can get your apps to go complete by Nov, i'd say you are in a good position.

****** For those applying to UChi, they seem not to accept anyone after a late complete date (like late Jan/early Feb).  So with that school, it's prudent not to bs with their app

2) just like Denny said, make sure that your recommenders can write good things about you.  I make sure to clearly ask if they would be comfortable with writing a GOOD recommendation for me.  if anyone hesitates, you should 4get about them and ask someone else

Denny Crane

• Where's my Shirley Schmidt-ho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: July 27, 2007, 03:44:23 PM »
What Jem says is true.  Apps sent in by November are in good shape time-wise.  Also, as she mentioned, recommenders who hesitate are to be avoided.

Another bit of advice for bettering your shot at getting a good letter of recommendation:

Submit a letter to your recommenders reminding them of your performance in their classes, your history with them, any accomplishments you have that they might not know about, which schools you're applying to, and why you want to pursue law.  Many adcoms have stated that when they see that a recommender mentions things that an applicant has mentioned in his/her application (like awards, career goals, etc), it shows that the applicant really took the time to make a meaningful application and inform their recommenders.  It makes your intent to law school seem more genuine and makes your professional qualities (attention to detail, etc) more apparent.

Treat the application process seriously.  You're applying for a professional school that will lead into a professional career.  ACT PROFESSIONALLY.

« Reply #149 on: July 27, 2007, 06:19:51 PM »
Hey cass--

Forgive my prying, but what on earth did you write your DS about? A general gist would be great. Just curious because my pre-law counselor basically laughed at me when I asked about it.

As for recommenders, make everything easy on them. I gave each one a folder with my resume, and some work I did for their class on one side of the folder, and the LOR form (pre-printed and signed by me), and a prepaid Priority envelope on the other side. When they were done, all they had to do was sign the form and put it and the letter in the envelope and put it in with their regular outgoing mail. I know other people asked the same recommenders for LORs and mine went out first because they were easier to deal with.