Law School Discussion

ADVICE to the next cycle of applicants

flyaway

• View Profile
Re: ADVICE to the next cycle of applicants
« Reply #120 on: June 27, 2007, 07:56:00 PM »
If you take the June or Sep LSAT, you'll probably get more fee waivers than you would as a Dec taker.  I still got quite a few, but there were other schools that I don't think sent them out after Dec.

« Reply #121 on: June 27, 2007, 07:56:45 PM »

If you do poorly at Michigan, you'll wish that you were doing poorly at Harvard.  Because doing poorly at Harvard is better than doing poorly at pretty much any other school.

Doing poorly for free is pretty nice though.

Exactly.  I'd rather be bottom of the class at Michigan with 0 debt (cause I'm still getting a job!) then top of the class at Harvard with $150k of debt.

Then you are retarded.

::)

« Reply #122 on: June 27, 2007, 08:31:06 PM »
How much money am I going to need for Applying to 10 T14 schools, seat deposits, and everything.

Do schools pay for you to go to admitted student weekends?

Just trying to get my budget for 07-08 worked out  ???

Good question! You are right to be planning, too, since the costs are quite high.

I applied to ~15 schools, had fee waivers at 4, and ended up spending about $1,000 on applications, LSDAS fees, transcript requests, postage, and that stuff.

For seat deposits, it depends on how good your numbers are relative to the schools you want to get into. If you are an autoadmit or close, you may get in earlier on and have your cycle complete by March or April. If so, you'd be one of the lucky ones and would prob only have to pay a deposit at one school. Most schools use a two deposit system with the total hovering between $500 and $900 combined (one deposit of a smaller amount in April, and another larger one in June in many cases). If, however, you are a splitter or are a reach at the schools you want, then you may have to deposit at one school, and then a second (or a third!) as you get in off of waitlists. In my case, I've paid $1200 in seat deposits this year as a result of two WL, Accepted offers each one month apart. Yeah, being a splitter is fun but expensive.

As for ASD's, some pay for you to do this and some don't. Some cover part of the cost, others condition reimbursement on attendance (UMinn does this), and others I think give you zilch. So the answer is "it depends." For T14s, I imagine they'd all cover at least some of the cost.

the bolded isn't the case.  UVa offered no type of reimbursement, nor did MIch ( but i got this trip reimbursed through the MBLSA)

pikey

• Did ya do it? Then why are ya sorry?
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: June 28, 2007, 07:17:34 AM »

If you do poorly at Michigan, you'll wish that you were doing poorly at Harvard.  Because doing poorly at Harvard is better than doing poorly at pretty much any other school.

Exactly.  I'd rather be bottom of the class at Michigan with 0 debt (cause I'm still getting a job!) then top of the class at Harvard with $150k of debt.

Then you are retarded.

Since you seem to be asking for it:

Yeah, that's why I got into every t-14 I applied to up to and including Harvard.  ::)

pikey

• Did ya do it? Then why are ya sorry?
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: June 28, 2007, 07:26:42 AM »
lol @ splitfinger.

He was the Jihad_Jesus of last cycle.  Sometimes amusing but never worth responding to.

good to know  :)

« Reply #125 on: June 28, 2007, 05:42:31 PM »
As nervous as I am about the application process, I am sooo looking forward to it.  I feel my life is on HOLD!  I take the LSAT in Sept; I cancelled the June LSAT. 

I kinda get anxious to study cause it's something that just gives me a sense of direction, hope and a path to a new beginning.

Does that sound weird?

Thanks to everyone that gave advice!

SplitFinger

• I'm a real pretend lawyer now!
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: June 28, 2007, 05:49:02 PM »

Then you are retarded.

Since you seem to be asking for it:

Yeah, that's why I got into every t-14 I applied to up to and including Harvard.  ::)

Retarded AND a feminine hygiene product.  Yeah, you'll do great.

« Reply #127 on: June 28, 2007, 06:09:37 PM »
As nervous as I am about the application process, I am sooo looking forward to it. I feel my life is on HOLD! I take the LSAT in Sept; I cancelled the June LSAT.

I kinda get anxious to study cause it's something that just gives me a sense of direction, hope and a path to a new beginning.

Does that sound weird?

Thanks to everyone that gave advice!

just wait until law school...

gowi

• Emory '11
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: June 29, 2007, 07:15:36 AM »
Thanks for this thread. I just read the whole thing, start to finish.  ;D

« Reply #129 on: June 29, 2007, 09:03:27 AM »
Thanks for this thread. I just read the whole thing, start to finish. ;D

In reading this thread from start to finish you agree to pay me 10% of your total yearly earnings. I will take your silence as acceptance.