Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: I actually got in!  (Read 6835 times)

orky13

• Sr. Citizen
  • Legally Blonde
    • View Profile
Re: I actually got in!
« Reply #50 on: May 03, 2006, 10:13:52 AM »
my policy for trolls is light mockery, then ignoring them.
It comes to this: Cleveland Marshall, Lewis & Clark
Waitlisted: Case

LawSchoolHopeful2009

• Sr. Citizen
  • make me "beautiful"...make me a perfect lie...
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #51 on: May 03, 2006, 10:48:06 AM »
I agree with rev on this one- supergirl, you didn't owe that guy any sort of explanation- period. guys like that feed on the attention they get. i would just ignore him from this point on. best of luck in law school. :)

UVATroll15

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 03, 2006, 12:34:40 PM »
Indeed, always ignore people who point out problems with your plans. That's how you get ahead.

supergirluw

« Reply #53 on: May 03, 2006, 12:46:06 PM »
thanks lawschool! i'm really excited about going.

MrSmittie

• Sr. Citizen
  • Rebel Law - why what happens in Vegas stays here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 03, 2006, 01:06:55 PM »
Good for you  Supergirl! I'd bet you'll do well.

...and some of us actually like ramen
1L Boyd Law - UNLV
I'm so old - I went to preschool with God.

JCD

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 03, 2006, 02:14:32 PM »
thanks for the kind words to those of you who support the t3 and 4s out there.

to LCD.

i'm not going to bother quoting you. you'll get what i'm referring to.

1. i did not bomb my major either. the actual problem stems from doing not-so-hot my first two years in the sciences before I realized/remembered what I was good at - law stuff. Now I'm "pre-law" in a titled humanities program that focuses on legal issues and writing/comprehension. My GPA has drastically improved. as for the LSAT, I had a 9 point jump by studying. The low score in of itself could be blamed on not testing well in the testing environment, and continuing to do well in a certain section (which I didn't study for). I settled.

2. COL in seattle is RIDICULOUS. I can do BETTER than what I have now for LESS in Jacksonville. Way less. Why? Because of the education level and medical/technological foundation present in this area.

3. I WAS  offered a management position at a national retailer. At 20 years old. BEFORE I had my degree in hand. I actually started last week (and quit 2 days into it, but thats another story). I was offered $28k. This is on par with another management position I was also recruited for this past weekend at another national retailer...their store managers make around $35k. I would have started lower as an MIT. These are positions *requiring* a BA/BS. Food for thought: I currently make more annually as a waitress (or would, if I worked "full time" annually. Per hour though, I make more and are taxed less due to tip reporting).

4. Your threats of living off ramen due to atrocious loan rights are unrealistic. I would never accept a job that wouldn't allow me to pay my bills or get by. Students go to law school because they get somewhere. People wouldn't go if the degree meant destitution. Your logic has no facts to back it up - it is merely opinion, and until you can prove to me that by going to florida coastal that I will be stuck eating ramen, I won't listen.

If you had good advice that wasn't threatening in nature, i'd listen. But you are just being elitist, and thats not helpful. Saying that anyone below t14 is going to live off ramen is ridiculous.

1. Yes, you did bomb your major. What's this business I read about your 3.14 LSDAS GPA and 3.09 degree GPA? That would indicate you did worse in your major than in your other courses. At any rate, even if I ignored this little piece of evidence that outs you as a liar and a charlatan and accepted that your GPA was dragged down by non-major classes, we still have the problem that you are a very poor learner. How do you expect to do well in law school and life if you can't adapt quickly and pick up on things that may not necessarily interest you?

2. This tunnel vision and stilted thinking is why you got a 143. There are more choices than finding a job where you live right now, or moving to go to law school. Why not find a job in a region with lower COL and higher pay since you're really not cut out for LS?

3. That's some great dedication. Are you going to quit your law job 2 days in as well? I hope you're aware that a large portion of compensation in those types of jobs is performance based. My friend was only salaried at $39K her first year but actually cleared $57K after bonuses. This year(her second), she's salaried at $43K and on pace to end up with $65K. Then again, perhaps the higher paying jobs weren't open to you with your GPA. Or maybe the better companies weren't looking for candidates who have no long-term thinking skills. Even if you could make more bussing tables right now, there is no growth potential in that and you would make much less a few years out.

4. Can you spot your logical fallacies here? Probably not, Mrs 143. You make the unwarranted assumption that people in general don't make mistakes. Furthermore, you make this assumption about a group of people self-sorted for stupidity by the low LSAT scores that keep them from getting into decent law schools. These are the people most prone to make mistakes, yet you listen to their "advice" because they tell you what you want to hear. You should try talking to students who are actually at a TTT law school to see what placement is like. Don't listen to semi-tards trying to follow their dreams but about to be thwarted because they've all been fed the same lie.

Let me guess: you would consider any advice "threatening in nature" if it wasn't what you wanted to hear. In fact, I'm guessing you didn't start this thread to actually seek out advice. Rather, in your heart you know what I am telling you is true and you wanted people to reassure you and coddle you.

orky13

• Sr. Citizen
  • Legally Blonde
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 03, 2006, 02:31:01 PM »
I definitely like Ramen.

And actually, when you screen abuse for value and find none, it's best to ignore :) Perhaps you are brushing up on your arguing skills? If so, please note you are selectively recognizing facts and ignoring others, as well as making TONS of assumptions that would be inadmissable at best. So consider this your official ruling: dilatory!

Okay now back to ignoring you.

JCD

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 03, 2006, 02:55:04 PM »
I definitely like Ramen.

And actually, when you screen abuse for value and find none, it's best to ignore :) Perhaps you are brushing up on your arguing skills? If so, please note you are selectively recognizing facts and ignoring others, as well as making TONS of assumptions that would be inadmissable at best. So consider this your official ruling: dilatory!

Okay now back to ignoring you.

Does that Case deferral sting? I think you are one of these:

semi-tards trying to follow their dreams but about to be thwarted because they've all been fed the same lie

orky13

• Sr. Citizen
  • Legally Blonde
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 03, 2006, 03:33:15 PM »
JCD, I would hardly be labeled a semi-tard, even by my worst enemies :) I will bet I have considerably fewer, anyway, than you. Calling names is no way to win an argument when you get into this circle, and insulting strangers over the internet is JUST SAD.

You'd be better served taking one of your lower levels through a dungeon if you need to kill time that badly. You know what I am talking about. Horde or Alliance? (not that I am addicted as well.)

pinkybella

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 03, 2006, 03:59:31 PM »
Your threats of living off ramen due to atrocious loan rights are unrealistic. I would never accept a job that wouldn't allow me to pay my bills or get by. Students go to law school because they get somewhere. People wouldn't go if the degree meant destitution. Your logic has no facts to back it up - it is merely opinion, and until you can prove to me that by going to florida coastal that I will be stuck eating ramen, I won't listen.

That's quite possibly the stupidest thing I've ever read.  Rather than looking at the numbers and seeing what your chances are of landing a job that allows you to pay back your loans and live comfortably, you assume that because other people make the same decision they wouldn't do it if the numbers didn't add up.  Cults have mass suicides, and I'm sure all their members know that they're doing the wise thing--meanwhile, to any rational human being, they're clearly insane or stupid or brainwashed.

Also, I don't think the argument was that you will be stuck eating ramen and living in a cardboard box, but that this might happen, that the risk doesn't justify the reward.

And, um, if students are accepting jobs in which they struggle to get by, it's nice to think that you would never accept a job like that, but I'm sure reality slapped them around until they realized that they didn't get offered any higher paying jobs!

If you had good advice that wasn't threatening in nature, i'd listen. But you are just being elitist, and thats not helpful. Saying that anyone below t14 is going to live off ramen is ridiculous.

Here you've committed a straw man fallacy.  Not all schools below the t14 are equal.  Did JCD actually say that anyone below t14 is going to live off ramen?  Or did he just say that about your particular option, or t3/t4 schools, or what?

Can you spot your logical fallacies here? Probably not, Mrs 143. You make the unwarranted assumption that people in general don't make mistakes. Furthermore, you make this assumption about a group of people self-sorted for stupidity by the low LSAT scores that keep them from getting into decent law schools. These are the people most prone to make mistakes, yet you listen to their "advice" because they tell you what you want to hear. You should try talking to students who are actually at a TTT law school to see what placement is like. Don't listen to semi-tards trying to follow their dreams but about to be thwarted because they've all been fed the same lie.

I try not to be as mean as JCD is wrt phrasing and the like, but this is true--people do listen to echo chambers regardless of if the advice is good or even reasonable.

Let me guess: you would consider any advice "threatening in nature" if it wasn't what you wanted to hear. In fact, I'm guessing you didn't start this thread to actually seek out advice. Rather, in your heart you know what I am telling you is true and you wanted people to reassure you and coddle you.

That would be my guess as well.

Yes, you did bomb your major. What's this business I read about your 3.14 LSDAS GPA and 3.09 degree GPA? That would indicate you did worse in your major than in your other courses.

pwn3d!

I've forgotten--which school are we talking about here?  Florida Coastal?  At the estimated cost of attendance of $43,000 per year over three years, that's $129,000 in loans, plus interest making that more like 170k and a $1,400 per month payment over ten years.  PLUS you mentioned, I believe, that you also have undergraduate loans.  How much?  I don't know.  Let's assume a low amount and say that you're going to owe $1,500 per month in loans for ten years after graduating law school.  You weren't offered a scholarship were you?  If so, that's going to mess up these calculations bigtime.

Now, at Florida Coastal they self-report to USNWR 25th/75th percentile salaries in the private sector of $38k and $60k.  Let's split the difference and say that the average salary you can expect if you enter the private sector is $49,000. 

I wish I knew more about finances.  How much are you going to pay on taxes if your salary is 49k?  I'll estimate 20%, just because I have no idea, but that seems like a plausible figure.  This would make your take home salary 39.  You then deduct 18k in loans, leaving you with 21,000 for housing and all living expenses.  I know housing in Florida is cheap, but how doable is this?  Certainly you wouldn't be living well--and yes, I'd imagine you'd be eating your fair share of ramen noodles.

A 30k job without the law loans would serve you just as well financially--surely a college graduate can get a job for 30,000 per year?  And remember, this is if you're an average student at Florida Coastal!

You have way too much time on your hands.