Law School Discussion

LSN says Harvard is done (and maybe Penn too)

defeatist

• trust, but verify
    • View Profile
Re: LSN says Harvard is done (and maybe Penn too)
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2006, 11:30:44 AM »
It's a little easier to see if you restrict your queries by LSAT, since LSAT scores represent a limited percentage of the applicant pool year-to-year.

Looking only at LSATs at or above Harvard's median (173), where they must admit about 275 students:

05-06: 104 admits from 207 applications (8 def, 20 pend)
04-05: 103 admits from 215 applications (27 def, 49 pend)

Looking at the top quarter (176+), where they must admit about 137 students:

05-06: 58 admits from 90 applications (5 def, 16 pend)
04-05: 59 admits from 90 applications (2 def, 8 pend)

I don't think much is going to change at Harvard this year.

« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2006, 12:45:05 PM »
Good stuff there.  However, it's unlikely (at least in my reasoning) that last minute acceptances will come from those above the median and especially from those above the 75th percentile.

Still, this shows that comparing this cycle with last year, Harvard has accepted as many above the median as they did last year, despite having fewer applicants who meet this qualification.

Interestingly enough, Harvard having 8 less applicants above their median at the same time that they have 125 more applications suggests that LSN might be down shifting closer to that actual pool.  (Or it could just mean that there were less LSAT takers this year and that more people reached for Harvard)

« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2006, 01:02:09 PM »
Defeatist's idea got me going, but I decided to look at the third quartile instead of the first, simply because it makes more sense to me that if there are seats still left, they will be given to borderline applicants.  I chose the third quartile instead of the fourth because the fourth goes all the way down to 120 and is much more likely to be filled with unqualified reachers, thus the selectivity of that group is more determined by how many reached than by how qualified the pool was.

Anyway, comparing last year and this year, and correcting for those not applied, we have 53 of 264 accepted with LSATs ranging from 170 to 173.  That makes 20% selectivity.  Last year there were 36 accepted of the 186 who applied in that quartile, for a selectivity of 19.4%.

Again, this information suggests that Harvard is done admitting. 

Can anyone think of a way to show through LSN that Harvard still has a significant number of offers to make (10 or more)?  If not, then Harvard really ought to ding us all and start the trickle down effect.

bass

• Retired
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2006, 01:03:21 PM »
This reminded me of those tshirts:

Nietzsche said God is dead.
God said Nietzsche is dead.

Give it a week, and if we put this much stock in LSN, perhaps HLS will say LSN is done.

« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2006, 01:06:48 PM »
This reminded me of those tshirts:

Nietzsche said God is dead.
God said Nietzsche is dead.

Give it a week, and if we put this much stock in LSN, perhaps HLS will say LSN is done.

LoL

« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2006, 03:40:56 PM »
Got the old waitlist from Harvard today.  That is to say the letter got sent to my home and not my college address so I haven't seen it yet.  I take that as a rejection, I suppose.  It seems odd that they're not letting people know outright at this point.  But uh... yeah.  So I don't know if this lends much to your theory either way.  It probably means that they're done barring massive amounts of acceptanced students deciding not to attend.

« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2006, 10:50:05 AM »
How many people are still waiting to hear anything from Harvard? 

The last time I heard from them was a couple months ago when they called me for something they thought was missing on the application.  We cleared that up, but since then I haven't heard a peep.  If they are done admitting, shouldn't most people have received rejections or waitlist notifications?

Anyone else still waiting to hear?

« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2006, 10:54:51 AM »
How many people are still waiting to hear anything from Harvard? 

The last time I heard from them was a couple months ago when they called me for something they thought was missing on the application.  We cleared that up, but since then I haven't heard a peep.  If they are done admitting, shouldn't most people have received rejections or waitlist notifications?

Anyone else still waiting to hear?

I am. They did the same thing with my application--said something was missing when it wasn't. If they called you in early March to tell you your application was missing something, that means it didn't actually go to the committee until mid-late March, which means they still might be passing your application around to committee members.

« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2006, 12:29:41 PM »
I'm still waiting on the big H too.

Hang in there!

« Reply #19 on: May 05, 2006, 02:30:25 PM »
I'm still waiting on the big H too.

Hang in there!

So I clicked on your LSN and noticed that it took over two months for your application to go complete at H? Do you know why? I'm wondering if what happened to me and Escaping Wisco happened to alot of people? When I called the admissions office in March to straighten it out (Harvard told me they didn't have a couple of things; LSAC said they'd sent it in January), the lady didn't sound at all surprised.