Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Santa Clara University vs. McGeorge School of Law (Pacific/UoP)  (Read 567 times)

pipskicks

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
So I am in between these two schools, fairly close as far as US News Rankings go.

Went to visit UoP but not SCU, I liked UoP, but when I look at SCU it seems as if they've just been highly regarded for longer than UoP (UoP was Tier4 not all that long ago, they've improved a lot, but who knows where they'll end up).  SCU has some amazing programs like IP (4th in the country or something), but I don't know if I'll end up doing it or not, I don't have much of a science background.

Anyone have any opinions?

UoP gave me 12k for the first year, renewable if I stay in top 1/3, I don't know if I'll stay in the top 1/3 when over half the class might have a scholarship and be in the same position as I am, and the average salary from SCU is something like $125,000 where it's only like $65,000 or something really low at UoP.

unknown

• View Profile
Re: Santa Clara University vs. McGeorge School of Law (Pacific/UoP)
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2006, 01:30:14 PM »
The salary numbers are higher from SCU because of the IP program and, in general, because salaries are higher in the Bay Area vs. Sacramento.

Santa Clara is highly regarded in the Bay Area (I'm purposely ignoring comparisons to higher ranking schools in the area), but is also highly regarded in the Pacific Northwest, if you ever found you wanted to go elsewhere.  I imagine it travels well to SoCal also, but I'm not sure about that.  I think that UoP is less known as a university as a whole, and that probably carries over to the law school - but I've heard good things about it also.

The schools overall are probably pretty similar, so I'd focus on the unique opportunities available at each school as well as where you'd rather spend the next three years.

pipskicks

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2006, 05:54:13 PM »
The salary numbers are higher from SCU because of the IP program and, in general, because salaries are higher in the Bay Area vs. Sacramento.

Santa Clara is highly regarded in the Bay Area (I'm purposely ignoring comparisons to higher ranking schools in the area), but is also highly regarded in the Pacific Northwest, if you ever found you wanted to go elsewhere.  I imagine it travels well to SoCal also, but I'm not sure about that.  I think that UoP is less known as a university as a whole, and that probably carries over to the law school - but I've heard good things about it also.

The schools overall are probably pretty similar, so I'd focus on the unique opportunities available at each school as well as where you'd rather spend the next three years.

One thing is that the IP law is amazing, and if I wanted to do that I wouldn't think twice about comparing the 2 schools.  Thing is I'm totally up in the air as to what I want to do, thinking about coming back down to SoCal when I'm done too (I thought the same thing you did about the comparison of the 2 in that regard), but I'm also open to practicing in the Silicon Valley (moreso than in Sacramento).

Guess it'll probably be SCU, just wanted to see if anyone had any specific opinions.

Bay Area Bum

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2006, 01:25:43 AM »
i'd go with santa clara.  it seems to me that you'd be able to find a job easier, at least in northern california, out of santa clara than pacific. 

dbgirl

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • KnowTheTruth
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2006, 01:27:39 AM »
I agree with all the Santa Clara remarks.
When you have somebody dying because they are poor and black or poor and white or because of whatever they are ... that erases everything that's great about this country.

-TMcGraw

http://www.wm3.org/splash.php

FossilJ

• LSD Obsessed
  • Carbon-date THIS, biznitch!
    • View Profile
    • Cricket Rules!
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2006, 01:39:07 AM »
Based on what you've said, Santa Clara is the choice for you, especially if the scholarship money from McGeorge isn't considerable. 

The degree travels better (not much better, but better), is much more highly regarded in the Bay area (where you said you might want to live, as opposed to Sacramento where you don't want to live), and I've heard it has a nice campus.

Besides, if you're interested in hockey, San Jose is going to be a force in the next five years thanks to the Thornton-Cheechoo line.   :D
Pish, J only wants to waste YOUR time.  Get wise.