Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Jews: Why are we not a URM?  (Read 10112 times)

Little D

• Sr. Citizen
  • WOOOOOO PIG SOOIE
    • View Profile
    • My Blog (I'm strictly liable)
Re: Jews: Why are we not a URM?
« Reply #50 on: April 28, 2006, 10:16:38 AM »
come to think of it, I dont even think I mentioned my religion on my applications...why would you ever even do so?
They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."

Do it now!!!!
http://www.defconamerica.org/

trogdor

• Sr. Citizen
  • the BURNINATOR!
    • View Profile
    • LSN profile
« Reply #51 on: April 28, 2006, 10:18:35 AM »
I absolutely do not feel like a victim.  Does every black person who is discriminated against feel like a victim? No.  I have persevered through everything and that is something of which I am extremely proud.  I see myself as a survivor (not in the same sense as my great uncle) rather than a victim. 

good.  then be grateful for what you have accomplished, the opportunities you have been afforded, and move on. 
"If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - forever." Orwell

zbttoken

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - hokiegrappler11
    • View Profile
    • My MySpace profile -- I'm such a consumer whore.
    • Email
« Reply #52 on: April 28, 2006, 10:19:57 AM »
Ok, since everyone seems to want to tell me to get a life, I think I shall take my two cents elsewhere.  I'm tired of arguing abstractions (with some posters).  For those posters who wanted this to be an actual conversation, thank you.  I wish you well.  Have a good day everyone.  
"Stand for something or fall for anything." -- Malcolm X

"If you find a job that you love, you'll never have to work a day in your life." -- Dr. Christopher Neck (probably taken from some other source).

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=42746550

ivywhore

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 28, 2006, 10:20:51 AM »
survivor?...what the hell are you talking about? have you considered doing drama?

HippieLawChick

• Sr. Citizen
  • Current 2L
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 28, 2006, 10:22:12 AM »
I am the first person in my entire family (extended) to graduate from college and the only person in my entire family and group of friends to go to law school.  Certainly, law schools contain an overrepresentation of those who have lawyers in their family or who have tons of people they know who are educated.  I do not. 

Most of the people here probably have SOMEONE in their family with a college degree.

An I a URM?  No. 

Was graduating from college and figuring out the admissions stuff a little harder because I had no role models, no examples of anyone I knew who had taken this step?  Yes. 

Even so, I did it.  I am proud I did. 

No one is discriminating against me, but it hasn't been easy. 

I am over it. 

P.S. How would professors know your religion/ethnicity so they could discriminate against you?  I didn't get that part.

ivywhore

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 28, 2006, 10:23:31 AM »
excellent points HippieLawChick  :)

Little D

• Sr. Citizen
  • WOOOOOO PIG SOOIE
    • View Profile
    • My Blog (I'm strictly liable)
« Reply #56 on: April 28, 2006, 10:24:32 AM »
yeh this guy clearly has a persecution complex or is full of *&^%
They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."

Do it now!!!!
http://www.defconamerica.org/

zbttoken

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #57 on: April 28, 2006, 10:25:06 AM »
My professors knew I was Jewish because we don't get off for Jewish holidays and I had to ask. 

"If you find a job that you love, you'll never have to work a day in your life." -- Dr. Christopher Neck (probably taken from some other source).

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=42746550

HippieLawChick

• Sr. Citizen
  • Current 2L
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 28, 2006, 10:26:09 AM »
thank you ivywhore. 

My boss is Jewish and very proud of it.  However, he never blames any missed opportunity on his religion/ethnicity.  If people don't like him for who he is, he will prove them wrong.  I think that is admirable, the whining for URM status is not.

zbttoken

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #59 on: April 28, 2006, 10:26:38 AM »
Ok, the personal attacks are getting kind of old.  Grow up.