Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Jews: Why are we not a URM?  (Read 10346 times)

Little D

• Sr. Citizen
  • WOOOOOO PIG SOOIE
    • View Profile
    • My Blog (I'm strictly liable)
Re: Jews: Why are we not a URM?
« Reply #40 on: April 28, 2006, 10:06:07 AM »
I think a better thing to consider rather than race or ethnicity is poverty level.  Historically it has been very difficult for the minorities listed to attend upper level education both because of overt racism as well as economic inability.  You cant argue that the majority of Jewish people in the US have been subject to systematic discrimination nor have they historically been in the category of the economic have-nots.
They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."

Do it now!!!!
http://www.defconamerica.org/

ivywhore

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 28, 2006, 10:06:13 AM »
i think something else affected your grades. discrimination is an easy excuse to fall back on.

zbttoken

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - hokiegrappler11
    • View Profile
    • My MySpace profile -- I'm such a consumer whore.
    • Email
« Reply #42 on: April 28, 2006, 10:10:09 AM »
Ivywhore,

I'm not saying other things didn't affect my grades.  I am acutely aware that being a D-I athlete, being a tutor, being in a fraternity, and holding down a full-time job all affected my grades.  I am merely saying that compared to the average white Christian, I did not have the same opportunities.  Christians don't have to deal with this stuff most of the time.  Basically, I'm saying that Jews are held to the same standard as Christians, and that is simply not fair when one group has to endure more than the other. 
"Stand for something or fall for anything." -- Malcolm X

"If you find a job that you love, you'll never have to work a day in your life." -- Dr. Christopher Neck (probably taken from some other source).

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=42746550

Little D

• Sr. Citizen
  • WOOOOOO PIG SOOIE
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 28, 2006, 10:10:54 AM »
Ivywhore,

I'm not saying other things didn't affect my grades.  I am acutely aware that being a D-I athlete, being a tutor, being in a fraternity, and holding down a full-time job all affected my grades.  I am merely saying that compared to the average white Christian, I did not have the same opportunities.  Christians don't have to deal with this stuff most of the time.  Basically, I'm saying that Jews are held to the same standard as Christians, and that is simply not fair when one group has to endure more than the other. 

wow that was some bigtime accomplishmentdropping there...
They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."

Do it now!!!!

zbttoken

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #44 on: April 28, 2006, 10:11:43 AM »
Bdizzle,

Ivywhore did the asking.  All I did was answer.  I didn't even skim the surface of my accomplishments. 

"If you find a job that you love, you'll never have to work a day in your life." -- Dr. Christopher Neck (probably taken from some other source).

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=42746550

trogdor

• Sr. Citizen
  • the BURNINATOR!
    • View Profile
    • LSN profile
« Reply #45 on: April 28, 2006, 10:13:10 AM »
Ivywhore,

really, it's best if you stop seeing yourself as a victim.  if you always place yourself in the role of the victim, you automatically disempower yourself.  i can honestly say i've faced discrimination my entire life, but i refuse to cast myself in the helpless victim role.  instead, take charge of your life.  realize that life isn't fair and never will be, and set your mind to accomplishing your goals. 
"If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - forever." Orwell

Little D

• Sr. Citizen
  • WOOOOOO PIG SOOIE
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 28, 2006, 10:14:42 AM »
so why the need for the assumption of persecution?  Maybe you didnt get in because you didnt get in?  If you are so accomplished why do you feel the need to have to prve yourself?  They didnt want you?  @#!* them,go somewhere that appreciates you, you dont need them.  I didnt get into SEVERAL schools last year that I thought I should have, but I chalked it up to my fault not theirs.  You obviously got into several good schools, be happy with yourself and go kick some ass

Do it now!!!!

ivywhore

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 28, 2006, 10:15:02 AM »
zbttoken,

even among christians there are differences (Catholic, Lutheran etc....) we absolutely must hold everyone (unless they have a disability) to the same standards. I'm glad you were so successful otherwise, but look inward for your shorcomings at least as often as you lash out at society.

pacoman384

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 28, 2006, 10:16:22 AM »
because they're not underrepresented.  discrimination isn't the focus of according urm status. 

I understood URM status to be a little different than this. Many groups are under-represented. But the reason for that under-represenation in blacks, latinos, Native Americans, etc. is because the vast majority of that group don't have the means or the resources to gain that representation. Blacks were enslaved for hundreds of years. Latinos are stuck at the bottom rung of our hierarchy ladder. Native Americans have been systematically screwed over by our government.

"Historically, minority group members have been underrepresented in the legal profession. A substantial discrepancy remains between the percentage of minority members in society versus the percentage in the legal profession. To promote diversity in the profession, all LSAC-member law schools actively seek qualified African American, Hispanic, Asian, and American Indian students as well as other students of color.  (In addition, many schools consider such factors as economic and educational disadvantage when considering a candidate for admission.) Law schools find that diversity within the classroom enriches the learning process for all students." LSAC - http://www.lsac.org/LSAC.asp?url=/lsac/faqs-and-support-minority-applicants.asp

Huh, now that I see all the holes in that, I understand why the OP even started this conversation.

By that definition, I could make an argument for URM status. I'm a Palestinian. (No, this is not flame at the OP, and I do not intend to get into a screaming match with anyone on Arab-Israel bs.) I don't think there are many Palestinians in law school. Or Arabs for that matter. But I grew up in a white, suburban area, my family always had enough money, and I went to the best public school in my state. I would feel uncomfortable accepting URM status, even though my friends jokingly call me towelhead, and after the 9/11 attacks my sister was threatened.

Get a clue, OP. If you've been discriminated against, I'm sorry. But thicker skin would do you well.

zbttoken

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #49 on: April 28, 2006, 10:16:31 AM »
I absolutely do not feel like a victim.  Does every black person who is discriminated against feel like a victim? No.  I have persevered through everything and that is something of which I am extremely proud.  I see myself as a survivor (not in the same sense as my great uncle) rather than a victim.