Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Jews: Why are we not a URM?  (Read 10104 times)

zbttoken

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - hokiegrappler11
    • View Profile
    • My MySpace profile -- I'm such a consumer whore.
    • Email
Re: Jews: Why are we not a URM?
« Reply #30 on: April 28, 2006, 09:58:26 AM »
I guess I just need to get the hell out of Virginia.  I'm sorry if I jumped on anyone, but it's frustrating here.  I'm headed to NY in the fall b/c I couldn't get in at UVA, George Mason, and William and Mary.  I guess I'm just frustrated that in this type of environment in VA that we don't get any consideration at VA schools.  I know we're well-represented in the legal profession.  

Also, just so you guys know.  There are PACs who are trying to petitiion the government for URM status for Jews.  So I'm not alone in my thinking.  
"Stand for something or fall for anything." -- Malcolm X

"If you find a job that you love, you'll never have to work a day in your life." -- Dr. Christopher Neck (probably taken from some other source).

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=42746550

Little D

• Sr. Citizen
  • WOOOOOO PIG SOOIE
    • View Profile
    • My Blog (I'm strictly liable)
« Reply #31 on: April 28, 2006, 09:59:27 AM »

Also, just so you guys know.  There are PACs who are trying to petitiion the government for URM status for Jews.  So I'm not alone in my thinking. 

wow, Im so gonna bite my tongue on this one...
They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."

Do it now!!!!
http://www.defconamerica.org/

trogdor

• Sr. Citizen
  • the BURNINATOR!
    • View Profile
    • LSN profile
« Reply #32 on: April 28, 2006, 09:59:38 AM »
I guess I just need to get the hell out of Virginia.  I'm sorry if I jumped on anyone, but it's frustrating here.  I'm headed to NY in the fall b/c I couldn't get in at UVA, George Mason, and William and Mary.  I guess I'm just frustrated that in this type of environment in VA that we don't get any consideration at VA schools.  I know we're well-represented in the legal profession. 

Also, just so you guys know.  There are PACs who are trying to petitiion the government for URM status for Jews.  So I'm not alone in my thinking. 

fair enough.  the application process can be frustrating for all involved.  good luck wherever you end up!
"If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - forever." Orwell

zbttoken

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #33 on: April 28, 2006, 10:00:04 AM »
If you are going to say that there are PACs for everything.  I know.  That wasn't my point. 

"If you find a job that you love, you'll never have to work a day in your life." -- Dr. Christopher Neck (probably taken from some other source).

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=42746550

ivywhore

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 28, 2006, 10:02:07 AM »
I guess I just need to get the hell out of Virginia.  I'm sorry if I jumped on anyone, but it's frustrating here.  I'm headed to NY in the fall b/c I couldn't get in at UVA, George Mason, and William and Mary.  I guess I'm just frustrated that in this type of environment in VA that we don't get any consideration at VA schools.  I know we're well-represented in the legal profession.  

Also, just so you guys know.  There are PACs who are trying to petitiion the government for URM status for Jews.  So I'm not alone in my thinking.  

There are PACs for many causes that aren't justified. Maybe you were not admitted because you didn't have the grades!

pacoman384

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 28, 2006, 10:02:30 AM »
because they're not underrepresented.  discrimination isn't the focus of according urm status. 

I understood URM status to be a little different than this. Many groups are under-represented. But the reason for that under-represenation in blacks, latinos, Native Americans, etc. is because the vast majority of that group don't have the means or the resources to gain that representation. Blacks were enslaved for hundreds of years. Latinos are stuck at the bottom rung of our hierarchy ladder. Native Americans have been systematically screwed over by our government.

Little D

• Sr. Citizen
  • WOOOOOO PIG SOOIE
    • View Profile
    • My Blog (I'm strictly liable)
« Reply #36 on: April 28, 2006, 10:03:09 AM »
I do see your point though about Jewish people in the south.  I lived in Dallas all my life and I never once knew a Jewish person.  In fact the only time I ever had any contact with someone that was Jewish was when I worked at a summer camp and there were a bunch of Jewish kids there.
They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."

Do it now!!!!
http://www.defconamerica.org/

zbttoken

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #37 on: April 28, 2006, 10:03:27 AM »
I think you completely missed my point.  Discrimination affects grades.  Hence no admittance.  

zbttoken

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #38 on: April 28, 2006, 10:05:45 AM »
BDizzle,

You're right there aren't many of us in the South.  To give you an idea about how many of my friends know Jewish people, I will tell you that most of them entered my name in their cell phones as "Jew," "Joo," or even "I called Jew yesterday." 

trogdor

• Sr. Citizen
  • the BURNINATOR!
    • View Profile
    • LSN profile
« Reply #39 on: April 28, 2006, 10:05:56 AM »
because they're not underrepresented.  discrimination isn't the focus of according urm status. 

I understood URM status to be a little different than this. Many groups are under-represented. But the reason for that under-represenation in blacks, latinos, Native Americans, etc. is because the vast majority of that group don't have the means or the resources to gain that representation. Blacks were enslaved for hundreds of years. Latinos are stuck at the bottom rung of our hierarchy ladder. Native Americans have been systematically screwed over by our government.

"Historically, minority group members have been underrepresented in the legal profession. A substantial discrepancy remains between the percentage of minority members in society versus the percentage in the legal profession. To promote diversity in the profession, all LSAC-member law schools actively seek qualified African American, Hispanic, Asian, and American Indian students as well as other students of color.  (In addition, many schools consider such factors as economic and educational disadvantage when considering a candidate for admission.) Law schools find that diversity within the classroom enriches the learning process for all students." LSAC - http://www.lsac.org/LSAC.asp?url=/lsac/faqs-and-support-minority-applicants.asp
"If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - forever." Orwell