Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Jews: Why are we not a URM?  (Read 10296 times)

cyberrev

Re: Jews: Why are we not a URM?
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2006, 09:40:46 AM »
PS sorry for the extra l in intellectual

the 'modify' button helps one avoid those faux pas

ivywhore

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2006, 09:41:23 AM »
thanks i'll try that :)

trogdor

• Sr. Citizen
  • the BURNINATOR!
    • View Profile
    • LSN profile
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2006, 09:41:32 AM »
Are you suggesting we have an advantage over Christians?  Get real. You have no idea what we have to put up with.  I was trying to start an intellectual conversation on message boards that are supposed to address sensitive topics rather than spew loaded rhetoric.  I can't believe that you people would be so f___ing dismissive.  I hate people that are so engulfed in their own worldview that they have no idea what goes on in the real world.  I know that the field has its share of Jews.  However, affirmative action was designed to help people who experience stereotype threat reach a critical mass of people inside the classroom so as to allow the free expression of ideas without the threat of stereotype (see UMichigan Supreme Court Cases).  The fact that Jews have to put up with this stuff at the undergraduate level suggests that they must persevere that much more just to make it to law school.  Have you ever had a teacher that didn't like you because of your religion?  I have, and don't think for a minute that my GPA was not affected by it. 

give me a break... this may sound dismissive, but don't attribute it to everyone on the board being "so engulfed in their own worldview that they have no idea what goes on the in real world".  people, in general, are aware the jews are often discriminated against.  however, for a minority group, they are VERY WELL REPRESENTED in ALL professional groups, just like asians (which are also not URM).  as i already said, urm status isn't accorded based upon whether a group faces discrimination in society.  it's accorded based upon their representation (hence the reason representation is included in uRm) in the legal field of study (in law schools and in the legal profession in general).  jewish people do not need urm status because they get plenty of representation, and therefore, plenty of opportunity to freely express their ideas, etc. (as you mentioned).   
"If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - forever." Orwell

zbttoken

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - hokiegrappler11
    • View Profile
    • My MySpace profile -- I'm such a consumer whore.
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2006, 09:43:45 AM »
This is not directed at the previous poster, but at the poster who misspelled intellectual.

You know what? @#!* you.  I tried to be nice, but you're exactly why we need affirmative action.  The mentality that it's not even ok to discuss this topic is an insult to affirmative action and to the writers of the First Amendment.  Stay the @#!* out of law school.  We have enough of you hate-spewing assholes in law school already.  
"Stand for something or fall for anything." -- Malcolm X

"If you find a job that you love, you'll never have to work a day in your life." -- Dr. Christopher Neck (probably taken from some other source).

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=42746550

ivywhore

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2006, 09:45:48 AM »
very mature. as if we need lawyers with your temperment ;D

Little D

• Sr. Citizen
  • WOOOOOO PIG SOOIE
    • View Profile
    • My Blog (I'm strictly liable)
« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2006, 09:47:53 AM »
wow you are a snipy little prick arent you? 

This is not directed at the previous poster, but at the poster who misspelled intellectual.

You know what? @#!* you.  I tried to be nice, but you're exactly why we need affirmative action.  The mentality that it's not even ok to discuss this topic is an insult to affirmative action and to the writers of the First Amendment.  Stay the @#!* out of law school.  We have enough of you hate-spewing assholes in law school already. 
They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."

Do it now!!!!
http://www.defconamerica.org/

zbttoken

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2006, 09:49:04 AM »
I have a very fine temperment...until someone starts this type of stuff.  I am one of the most relaxed people you will ever meet; however, there is one thing I cannot stand.  I cannot stand dismissive people who post obnoxious things on message boards.  If you would like to oppose my view, then that is fine.  Give me some evidence and make an argument, but don't load that argument with rhetoric aimed at inflaming the course of conversation.  

"If you find a job that you love, you'll never have to work a day in your life." -- Dr. Christopher Neck (probably taken from some other source).

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=42746550

ACK!

• Sr. Citizen
  • RESIST THE EARTHQUAKE! REUNITE GONDWANALAND!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2006, 09:49:14 AM »

You know what? @#!* you.  I tried to be nice, but you're exactly why we need affirmative action.  The mentality that it's not even ok to discuss this topic is an insult to affirmative action and to the writers of the First Amendment.  Stay the @#!* out of law school.  We have enough of you hate-spewing assholes in law school already. 

::) Ridiculous.

I'm going to go with flame.
U Chi '09

Little D

• Sr. Citizen
  • WOOOOOO PIG SOOIE
    • View Profile
    • My Blog (I'm strictly liable)
« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2006, 09:50:13 AM »
people are not being dismissive of you, they are disagreeing with you and telling you why they disagree with you.  It is you that is saying "you know what? @#!* you!  you all are racists!"
They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."

Do it now!!!!
http://www.defconamerica.org/

zbttoken

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2006, 09:51:04 AM »
It's fine to disagree with me.  I just don't enjoy being laughed at for simply raising this topic.