Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Jews: Why are we not a URM?  (Read 10665 times)

HippieLawChick

• Sr. Citizen
  • Current 2L
    • View Profile
Re: Jews: Why are we not a URM?
« Reply #60 on: April 28, 2006, 10:27:34 AM »
So, does anyone here think that people like me deserve URM status? 

I am underrepresented
I have struggled
I have had a disadvantage
My family is poor

(This is especially directed at the OP)

ivywhore

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 28, 2006, 10:27:52 AM »
Easter is not a holiday in most school systems either. There are hindus, muslims, many other religions that need special arrangements. I had to ask for a day off to have a cavity filled OH MY GOD !!!!DISCRIMINATION!!!!! I AM URM.

zbttoken

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - hokiegrappler11
    • View Profile
    • My MySpace profile -- I'm such a consumer whore.
    • Email
« Reply #62 on: April 28, 2006, 10:28:08 AM »
I believe that socioeconomically disadvantaged people deserve URM status.
"Stand for something or fall for anything." -- Malcolm X

"If you find a job that you love, you'll never have to work a day in your life." -- Dr. Christopher Neck (probably taken from some other source).

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=42746550

HippieLawChick

• Sr. Citizen
  • Current 2L
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 28, 2006, 10:28:12 AM »
Ok, the personal attacks are getting kind of old.  Grow up.

I am not attacking you personally. Just your ideas and the tone of your posts.  I don't know you and can't attack you personally.

zbttoken

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #64 on: April 28, 2006, 10:29:02 AM »
Ivywhore,
You're an a-hole.  Perhaps you don't agree with me, but that type of sarcasm is quite unnecessary. 

"If you find a job that you love, you'll never have to work a day in your life." -- Dr. Christopher Neck (probably taken from some other source).

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=42746550

zbttoken

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #65 on: April 28, 2006, 10:30:45 AM »
This probably won't be the last time I say this because nobody listens, but I will say it anyway.  I came in looking for some light conversation.  I don't like it when people dismiss ideas entirely with inflammatory sarcasm. My tone is a direct response to that type of post. 

metzger

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: April 28, 2006, 10:32:02 AM »
I guess I just need to get the hell out of Virginia.  I'm sorry if I jumped on anyone, but it's frustrating here.  I'm headed to NY in the fall b/c I couldn't get in at UVA, George Mason, and William and Mary.  I guess I'm just frustrated that in this type of environment in VA that we don't get any consideration at VA schools.  I know we're well-represented in the legal profession. 

Also, just so you guys know.  There are PACs who are trying to petitiion the government for URM status for Jews.  So I'm not alone in my thinking. 

Seems to me that you're just whining that you don't get preferential treatment in admissions. And that's a shame.

ivywhore

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: April 28, 2006, 10:32:20 AM »
zbttoken,

thanks for the kind words. I have nothing personal against you. I'm trying to stress the point to clarify for yu how unreasonable your claim is. I hope that you can walk away from this with a better understanding so that this does not come back to bite you later in life.

HippieLawChick

• Sr. Citizen
  • Current 2L
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: April 28, 2006, 10:33:35 AM »
Well, this is a very inflammatory topic.  Sorry if you didn't like that people respond in an inflammatory way to a topic of this nature, but it happens all the time here.  You will get used to it.  Nature of the beast.  When hundreds of people who are very assertive gather in one spot, it is bound to happen.

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: April 28, 2006, 10:33:48 AM »
Why are people even wasting time with this thread?

To the OP:  Grow up, and realize that the blame for not getting the gpa you needed to get into the schools you wanted was 100% YOUR FAULT.  Based on your list of "accomplishments" you spent about 1 hour a week studying between being an athlete and parties at your frat, among everything else you did.

And if you have such a problem with being so underrepresented *at your undergrad* then why in god's name did you go there?  This all boils down to decisions YOU made, and now your refusal to take responsibility.

*And for the record, as others have said, when you start talking about URMs in the LEGAL PROFESSION, you're not looking at whether a group is a minority in the United States overall, you're looking at whether a group is underrepresented in the legal profession only.  Yes, Jews have been discriminated against in the past.  Yes, you may face some discrimition in your life.  BUT looking at the numbers of law students, lawyers, judges, etc. throughout the country, Jews are NOT an underrepresented minority.