Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Jews: Why are we not a URM?  (Read 10110 times)

Little D

• Sr. Citizen
  • WOOOOOO PIG SOOIE
    • View Profile
    • My Blog (I'm strictly liable)
Re: Jews: Why are we not a URM?
« Reply #140 on: April 28, 2006, 02:44:27 PM »
no disgrace just not good enough to get into UVA...its all relative
They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."

Do it now!!!!
http://www.defconamerica.org/

norcaldude

« Reply #141 on: April 28, 2006, 02:52:36 PM »

whose relative?  my relatives didn't get 156s, at least those who took the LSAT.  ;)

In fact, the only Jew I know with a score below 160 is half-goy, and even then he took a class and broke the dipsh*t barrier his second time.   :D

Ok, now I'm being a jack@$$, I'll stop.

trogdor

• Sr. Citizen
  • the BURNINATOR!
    • View Profile
    • LSN profile
« Reply #142 on: April 28, 2006, 02:53:19 PM »

whose relative?  my relatives didn't get 156s, at least those who took the LSAT.  ;)

In fact, the only Jew I know with a score below 160 is half-goy, and even then he took a class and broke the dipsh*t barrier his second time.   :D

Ok, now I'm being a jack@$$, I'll stop.

:D :D :D
"If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - forever." Orwell

onstar

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #143 on: May 04, 2006, 01:18:39 AM »
I guess I just need to get the hell out of Virginia.  I'm sorry if I jumped on anyone, but it's frustrating here.  I'm headed to NY in the fall b/c I couldn't get in at UVA, George Mason, and William and Mary.  I guess I'm just frustrated that in this type of environment in VA that we don't get any consideration at VA schools.  I know we're well-represented in the legal profession.  

Also, just so you guys know.  There are PACs who are trying to petitiion the government for URM status for Jews.  So I'm not alone in my thinking.  

are these groups thats petitioning the govt gonna bring up the holycause?

galex

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: May 08, 2006, 09:00:47 PM »
I guess I just need to get the hell out of Virginia.  I'm sorry if I jumped on anyone, but it's frustrating here.  I'm headed to NY in the fall b/c I couldn't get in at UVA, George Mason, and William and Mary.  I guess I'm just frustrated that in this type of environment in VA that we don't get any consideration at VA schools.  I know we're well-represented in the legal profession.  

Also, just so you guys know.  There are PACs who are trying to petitiion the government for URM status for Jews.  So I'm not alone in my thinking.  

are these groups thats petitioning the govt gonna bring up the holycause?

I have to back you up on the environment at Virginia colleges, zbttoken.  (Well, probably not UVA & George Mason.  I hope not UVA.)  The comment above, if meant seriously, would be mild compared to some of the things I've heard in classrooms.
It's great to hear that things are so great elsewhere that the idea of Jews getting URM status is ridiculous.  But be aware that it's not like that here.

zbttoken

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - hokiegrappler11
    • View Profile
    • My MySpace profile -- I'm such a consumer whore.
    • Email
« Reply #145 on: May 08, 2006, 09:03:16 PM »
Southern Virginia often seems like it's stuck in the early 1900s.  I want out. 
"Stand for something or fall for anything." -- Malcolm X

"If you find a job that you love, you'll never have to work a day in your life." -- Dr. Christopher Neck (probably taken from some other source).

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=42746550

galex

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: May 08, 2006, 09:16:08 PM »
1900s?  Richmond hasn't changed a calendar since the 1860s.  Why are you complaining?  :D
That's why it's probably a good thing that you're getting a chance to live in NYC for a few years. Things work out sometimes.

denk

• Sr. Citizen
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - music_art_pdx
    • View Profile
    • My Pre-law blog
« Reply #147 on: May 29, 2006, 04:21:15 AM »
Southern Virginia often seems like it's stuck in the early 1900s.  I want out. 

What kinds of problems or prejudice are you experiencing?  I had never considered that it could be an issue. 

Perversely

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: June 03, 2006, 02:19:39 AM »
There are less Jews at Virginia Tech than any other minority.  As such, we get stereotyped horribly here.  Accordingly, I do not understand why Jews are not afforded minority status for law school applications, especially since we go through many (not all since we can pass for white in some uncomfortable situations) of the same things that other minorities go through.  Why are eskimos considered to be a minority for law school admissions purposes, but not Jews?  I guarantee that Jews go through more bull than eskimos (what is the PC term for eskimos anyway?). 

i'll quote myself...i'll use the same post i used for the asian urm question...

"can you handle the truth? i think others have been helpful in touching the surface about this here though..."