Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Jews: Why are we not a URM?  (Read 10310 times)

ivywhore

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Jews: Why are we not a URM?
« Reply #100 on: April 28, 2006, 11:05:18 AM »
Don't support irrational behavior.

Generally, I think you're cool. ;D

LitDoc

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #101 on: April 28, 2006, 11:05:49 AM »
I think the OP has been a bit too defensive, and I think others on the thread -- particularly ivywhore -- have been a bit too offensive. Everyone chill out.

Let's get back on track, shall we? The question raised by OP is a good one, if we simply extrapolate it out more broadly at first: Are there groups who deserve URM status, who do not currently receive it? And if so, are Jews among these groups?

I think the answer to the first question is very probably "yes." But some of the groups mentioned on this thread are not among the groups that are not receiving URM status, but deserving of it. Palestinians (or Arabs), for example, are undoubtedly receiving URM status if they draw attention to their ethnicity -- I would think this group would be a hot commodity among law school admissions boards. And "eskimos" (I believe the better label is "Inuits") are undoubtedly counted as Native Americans, and thus receive URM status.

But what about other groups? What about Greeks? What about the Irish? What about Italians? What about Buddhists? What about Mormons? What about transvestites and transexuals?

And yes, what about the Jews?

I think the question about the Jews has been asked and answered. The Jews, while undeniably persecuted throughout history, and while undeniably a minority group, have long enjoyed over-representation in the legal, medical, and political professions (not as politicians, but behind the scenes as advisors, staff and cabinet members, etc.), as well as in the entertainment industry. Also, in America -- perhaps due to this over-representation and professional success, Jews have in many respects been assimilated into "whiteness." (There are books on this, for the OP or anyone else who is interested.)

As for the other groups, I would say they fall into one of three categories: a) they are not groups we "care" about politically or culturally enough to single them out for special attention (e.g., the Greeks); b) they, like the Jews, enjoy a certain amount of over-representation in the legal profession (e.g., the Mormons); or c) they are receiving, or would very likely receive, some special consideration as URMs if their identity was made known in the application (e.g., transexuals).

All this being said, it should also be noted that URM status is not the only way to acquire some special consideration. If you've suffered hardship or obstacles to your professional development, these can be noted and do receive consideration, regardless of official URM status. Poverty, first-generation college grad, and other things like this fall under this umbrella.

Personally, I too believe that economic status is a much more important consideration than race or ethnicity, when considering "diversity" and representation.
"There is no was." -- William Faulkner

University of Texas, Class of '09

half-jew half-goy

« Reply #102 on: April 28, 2006, 11:06:47 AM »
Always nice when litdoc assesses the situation with his liberal views. lol ;)

zbttoken

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - hokiegrappler11
    • View Profile
    • My MySpace profile -- I'm such a consumer whore.
    • Email
« Reply #103 on: April 28, 2006, 11:08:18 AM »
Thank you LitDoc for your coherent, relevant input.  Do you have any suggestions regarding the literature you mentioned? 
"Stand for something or fall for anything." -- Malcolm X

"If you find a job that you love, you'll never have to work a day in your life." -- Dr. Christopher Neck (probably taken from some other source).

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=42746550

Alamo

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: April 28, 2006, 11:09:01 AM »
OP:

Is this you? http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=zbttoken

If it is (I have a hunch I'm right), you have no business even applying to any VA schools, except maybe regent.  And trying to blame it on discrimination.  You're giving my frat a bad name.

Face it - you went to a mediocre school (unless you want to be a vet or a horticulturist), got mediocre grades there, and got a mediocre score on your LSAT, and you honestly expect to have even been considered to a place like UVA.

I was a ZBT undergrad at UVA.  I had more successful Jewish friends there that I can count, including a friend in Atlanta whose wedding I'll be in this summer.  It's not the south, it's not your Jewishness, it's you.
I must admit that I may have been infected with society's prejudices and predilections and attributed them to God . . . and that in years hence I may be seen as someone who was on the wrong side of history.  I don't believe such doubts make me a bad Christian.  I believe they make me human . . .

LitDoc

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #105 on: April 28, 2006, 11:09:54 AM »

Er, thanks...I think. Not sure anything I said was particularly "liberal" though... :-\

half-jew half-goy

« Reply #106 on: April 28, 2006, 11:10:19 AM »
ok guys quit the fussing ill i send you to the principal office.

zbttoken

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - hokiegrappler11
    • View Profile
    • My MySpace profile -- I'm such a consumer whore.
    • Email
« Reply #107 on: April 28, 2006, 11:11:19 AM »
Yes that is me, and no I am not blaming all of my grades on discrimination.  I simply said that there were two or three courses that impacted my grades negatively.  I would be able to get into UVA and all of that stuff if I had another chance to take the LSAT.  I was scoring 170 on my practice tests; however, I was sick on test day, and I did not have another chance to retake the test.  Please refrain from making sweeping statements without all of the facts.
"Stand for something or fall for anything." -- Malcolm X

"If you find a job that you love, you'll never have to work a day in your life." -- Dr. Christopher Neck (probably taken from some other source).

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=42746550

LitDoc

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #108 on: April 28, 2006, 11:11:38 AM »
Jairzinho, Perhaps you simply need to grow up.

Grow up? Last I heard, a grown-up takes personal responsibility for his life. A feminine hygiene product doesn't.

Yes, and grownups also rise above all this stupid, snarky sniping. Everyone needs to quit calling the OP a "doosh" and engage with the real questions.

half-jew half-goy

« Reply #109 on: April 28, 2006, 11:11:58 AM »

Er, thanks...I think. Not sure anything I said was particularly "liberal" though... :-\
Oh, that post was more conseravtive but liberal but i remmebr from past posts to me especially on economic issues it seemed like you leaned to the left but you always do have well thought evenheaded posts unlike some people on the board.