Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Jews: Why are we not a URM?  (Read 10205 times)

zbttoken

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - hokiegrappler11
    • View Profile
    • My MySpace profile -- I'm such a consumer whore.
    • Email
Jews: Why are we not a URM?
« on: April 28, 2006, 09:18:28 AM »
There are less Jews at Virginia Tech than any other minority.  As such, we get stereotyped horribly here.  Accordingly, I do not understand why Jews are not afforded minority status for law school applications, especially since we go through many (not all since we can pass for white in some uncomfortable situations) of the same things that other minorities go through.  Why are eskimos considered to be a minority for law school admissions purposes, but not Jews?  I guarantee that Jews go through more bull than eskimos (what is the PC term for eskimos anyway?). 
"Stand for something or fall for anything." -- Malcolm X

"If you find a job that you love, you'll never have to work a day in your life." -- Dr. Christopher Neck (probably taken from some other source).

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=42746550

trogdor

• Sr. Citizen
  • the BURNINATOR!
    • View Profile
    • LSN profile
Re: Jews: Why are we not a URM?
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2006, 09:21:13 AM »
because they're not underrepresented.  discrimination isn't the focus of according urm status. 
"If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - forever." Orwell

ivywhore

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2006, 09:22:34 AM »
because they're not underrepresented.  discrimination isn't the focus of according urm status. 

well said.

zbttoken

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2006, 09:22:53 AM »
How are we not underrepresented?  We are probably not underrepresented in NY, but I go to school in the South, and I can tell you that we are SORELY underrepresented down here, even moreso than African-Americans and Hispanics.

"If you find a job that you love, you'll never have to work a day in your life." -- Dr. Christopher Neck (probably taken from some other source).

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=42746550

ivywhore

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2006, 09:26:23 AM »
How are we not underrepresented?  We are probably not underrepresented in NY, but I go to school in the South, and I can tell you that we are SORELY underrepresented down here, even moreso than African-Americans and Hispanics.

Have you looked at the composition of the faculty and trustees of those universities? In many cases Christians should claim URM status. Get real.

trogdor

• Sr. Citizen
  • the BURNINATOR!
    • View Profile
    • LSN profile
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2006, 09:29:22 AM »
How are we not underrepresented?  We are probably not underrepresented in NY, but I go to school in the South, and I can tell you that we are SORELY underrepresented down here, even moreso than African-Americans and Hispanics.

because you're underrepresented in a few schools in the south doesn't mean much other than jewish people choose to go to other schools.  anytime you have approx. 30% of supreme court clerks and 26% law school profs, you deserve NO URM status... sorry.  http://www.arthurhu.com/index/jewish.htm.  jewish people are an overrepresented minority in pretty much all professional fields. 

"If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - forever." Orwell

HippieLawChick

• Sr. Citizen
  • Current 2L
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2006, 09:29:43 AM »
Jews are simply not underrepresented in the legal field.  Period.

zbttoken

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2006, 09:35:41 AM »
Are you suggesting we have an advantage over Christians?  Get real. You have no idea what we have to put up with.  I was trying to start an intellectual conversation on message boards that are supposed to address sensitive topics rather than spew loaded rhetoric.  I can't believe that you people would be so f___ing dismissive.  I hate people that are so engulfed in their own worldview that they have no idea what goes on in the real world.  I know that the field has its share of Jews.  However, affirmative action was designed to help people who experience stereotype threat reach a critical mass of people inside the classroom so as to allow the free expression of ideas without the threat of stereotype (see UMichigan Supreme Court Cases).  The fact that Jews have to put up with this stuff at the undergraduate level suggests that they must persevere that much more just to make it to law school.  Have you ever had a teacher that didn't like you because of your religion?  I have, and don't think for a minute that my GPA was not affected by it. 

ivywhore

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2006, 09:38:26 AM »
intellectuall conversation or childish unrealistic, almost laughable nonsense? GET REAL!!!!!!!!

ivywhore

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2006, 09:39:06 AM »
PS sorry for the extra l in intellectual