Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: California Western or Gonzaga? Where should I go and why?  (Read 1522 times)

natsirt

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: California Western or Gonzaga? Where should I go and why?
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2006, 09:21:15 PM »

Gonzaga positives: 3rd tier, Beautiful Campus, attached Undergrad campus, great reputation in NW, outstanding facilities, a low cost of living =$350 a month for a 1 bedroom apt!
Gonzaga negatives: lack of diversity (im from san francisco!), its in dreary Spokane (aka SPOKOMPTON), median salary rates are between 45-55k (OUCH!). Outside of CA.

Gonzaga does not have a "great reputation in the NW."  I've spoken to an attorney from Seattle and a Prosecutor from Oregon who both stated that they would not hire Gonzaga applicants.  In the NW it is by far the worst law school. 

ivywhore

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2006, 09:33:37 PM »

Gonzaga does not have a "great reputation in the NW."  I've spoken to an attorney from Seattle and a Prosecutor from Oregon who both stated that they would not hire Gonzaga applicants.  In the NW it is by far the worst law school. 
[/quote]

Simply not true. It has a good reputation in the NW and is known more nationally than Cal Western

catalyst81

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2006, 10:45:48 PM »
I agree w/Ivywhore on this one (shocking, but true).

Gonzaga has a strong reputation in the NW.  I can easily counter Natsirts arguement that two attorneys think it is the worst school because I have spoken w/many attorneys in the greater Seattle area and they all had great things to say about Gonzaga.

It doesnt hurt that their "name" has become known in the last few years cause of Adam Morrison. DivisionI sports will do wonders for name recognition and school awareness!

All that may be true but I'm not convinced Gonzaga will give that much of an edge, if any, if you're trying to end up back in the Bay area.  I don't think the Gonzaga "name" will help that much. Cal Western will offer a scholarship, diversity in a GREAT city, and preparation for the California bar.  Cost of living will be higher, but you should be used to that being from San Fran. 

I'm biased though, being from San Diego.  ;)

ivywhore

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2006, 05:28:12 PM »

All that may be true but I'm not convinced Gonzaga will give that much of an edge, if any, if you're trying to end up back in the Bay area.  I don't think the Gonzaga "name" will help that much. Cal Western will offer a scholarship, diversity in a GREAT city, and preparation for the California bar.  Cost of living will be higher, but you should be used to that being from San Fran. 

[/quote]

Sounds like an advert. Objectively, Gonzaga is a better bet.

catalyst81

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2006, 09:03:00 PM »

Sounds like an advert. Objectively, Gonzaga is a better bet.
[/quote]

Not an advertisement, just my opinion.  And nothing's really objective.  It's always seen from a certain perspective.  What may be best for me or you, may may be different for him.  For me, a small scholarship at CW in San Diego would top Gonzaga any day for different reasons.  Maybe for him, that's not the case.  It's got to come down to the whole picture, not just stats and reputation.  Just my 2 cents though.  I think you'd most likely be happy at either school.  :)

whoneedsanABA

• Sr. Citizen
  • praise the basketball gods!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2006, 03:27:43 AM »
thanks for the input guys.  i'm actually visiting cal western next week, so i should have a better idea of the school by then.
it may come down to fordham v. hastings...

WfPck05

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2006, 11:41:45 AM »
thanks for the input guys.  i'm actually visiting cal western next week, so i should have a better idea of the school by then.

I just went to the preview day yesterday and am now even more pleased with my decision to attend.  Everyone is so nice and the students and grad seem to be doing quite well in the local law community.

If you decide on CWSL than I'll see you there.  Feel free to PM me with any questions

rajkp

« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2006, 03:15:38 AM »
No offense, but Cal Western doesn't have a good rep in So Cal. Especially not in the Inland Empire or LA. There is a running joke in IE that you're better off with a dead lawyer than a Cal Western graduate.

Gonzaga, definitely.

whoneedsanABA

• Sr. Citizen
  • praise the basketball gods!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2006, 05:52:33 AM »
according to martindale.com:

gonzaga alum practicing in SF: 13
cw alum practicing in SF: 41

interesting...
it may come down to fordham v. hastings...

jiggedyjared

« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2006, 11:43:21 AM »
Both are local schools.  Any school outside of the top 50 is a local school and the ones in the 20-50 range are mostly local.  If you want to be in Cali, go to a Cali school.  Also, check out Gonzaga's website for OCI firms.  It's mostly smaller firms from Idaho and Washington.