Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: California Western or Gonzaga? Where should I go and why?  (Read 1587 times)

whoneedsanABA

• Sr. Citizen
  • praise the basketball gods!
    • View Profile
California Western or Gonzaga? Where should I go and why?
« on: April 28, 2006, 04:33:30 AM »
A lil help would be greatly appreciated  ;D

I'm looking to practice in the Bay Area eventually, but wouldn't mind spending a few years in SD (preferred) or Seattle after grad.

Gonzaga vs. Cal Western

Gonzaga positives: 3rd tier, Beautiful Campus, attached Undergrad campus, great reputation in NW, outstanding facilities, a low cost of living =$350 a month for a 1 bedroom apt!
Gonzaga negatives: lack of diversity (im from san francisco!), its in dreary Spokane (aka SPOKOMPTON), median salary rates are between 45-55k (OUCH!). Outside of CA.

Cal Western positives: 5k scholarship. 2nd best school in SD by default.  Decent local reputation. Did I mention its in SD?
Cal Western negatives: 4th tier. i've heard they cut the bottom 30% - is this true? extremely regional. no undergrad campus connected to Law School.

Also, anybody have anymore information on California Western? I'm specifically looking for any info on:

- Job prospects in the SD job market.
- The attrition rate and the overall culture of the student
- Rumors that the school will be integrated into the UC system
it may come down to fordham v. hastings...

ivywhore

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: California Western or Gonzaga? Where should I go?!
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2006, 04:34:25 AM »
definitely gonzaga

AppleHead

• View Profile
Re: California Western or Gonzaga? Where should I go and why?
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2006, 12:34:53 PM »
Yes, I would say Gonzaga as well.  It's a good school and it seemed like a pretty close-knit, cooperative environment when I went there to visit.  I'd also recommend negotiating some sort of money out of them.  I did it and it worked for me.  Write a letter to Susan Lee and ask for some $$.

pinkybella

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2006, 12:39:57 PM »
Don't know much about Gonzaga but here's what I do know about Cal Western:

If you want to attend Cal Western, you most likely will have the best job opportunities if you stay in San Diego. Small tier 4s are often very regional, Cal Western is no exception. It has a good rep inside San Diego, outside of San Diego, no one really knows anything about it. I don't know what Washington's job market is like, but San Diego's job market is pretty tight. I've heard this from USD grads and they really have the best opportunities in San Diego. So these are really two things to be aware of: that if you go to Cal Western, you will probably have to stay in San Diego to have the best job opportunities (at least for the first few years out of law school) and that the San Diego job market is a little tight.

Other than that, I've heard that you get great clinical education at CW. Trial Advocacy classes are very strong & they have a number of interesting Criminal defense workshops and programs. If criminal (defense) law is something you are interested in, I believe they have a strong program

If you have any questions about Cal Western let me know & I can try to answer them.  :)

whoneedsanABA

• Sr. Citizen
  • praise the basketball gods!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2006, 02:55:55 PM »
Applehead - just wondering, how did you approach negotiating for scholarship money?  was it based off of need or your numbers?
it may come down to fordham v. hastings...

AppleHead

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2006, 02:06:38 AM »
I just sent an e-mail as well as a hard copy letter to Susan Lee who is the admission director at Gonzaga.  In my letter I just stated that I had received scholarship offers from other schools, but that I would rather attend Gonzaga.  I also discussed some specifics about the facilities and programs that attracted me to Gonzaga.  I explained that finances were a consideration and asked to be considered for additional scholarships.  I heard back in about a week notifying me that I was awarded additional scholarship funds.  Definitely write a letter asking for some money...they won't take away your acceptance so you have nothing to lose.  Good luck and let me know how it goes for you! 

Mr. Pink

• LSD Obsessed
  • @#!* YOU! @#!* YOU! I'M f-in' DYING HERE! I'M FU
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2006, 02:07:17 AM »
Gonzaga
Mr. White: Smoke?
Mr. Pink: I quit.
[later]
Mr. Pink: What, you got one?

Jmart603

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2006, 03:21:56 PM »
imo, depends 100% on where you'd wanna be. both schools are going to keep you pretty local. If I was picking, I'd pick CW

catalyst81

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2006, 03:36:36 PM »
imo, depends 100% on where you'd wanna be. both schools are going to keep you pretty local. If I was picking, I'd pick CW

I agree.  If you eventually want to end up in the Bay area CW is going to prepare you better for the California bar.

pinkybella

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2006, 06:25:33 PM »
- Job prospects in the SD job market.
- The attrition rate and the overall culture of the student
- Rumors that the school will be integrated into the UC system

I know for a fact Cal Western is well represented in the Riverside/Inland Empire market as well, which are booming areas, particularly if you are looking for government/real estate work.

As far as the other two questions I have no clue.  I highly doubt the UC has any desire to tack on another law school, though given their financial situation and scrutiny these days.  From where did you hear they might get absorbed by the UC system?

I've heard that they may become UCSD's law school as well. I don't know how true that is but isn't so strange that one of the UC's would try to get a law school. I know a few years ago they tried to get UCI a law school but the people of Irvine voted it down...