Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: GOP Culture of Corruption- List of Republicans mired in scandal in the past year  (Read 10461 times)

! B L U E WAR R I O R..!

• LSD Obsessed
  • "make a friend who was once a stranger" br.war.
    • View Profile
and now for some more democrat corruption... :)

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/ideas_opinions/story/460740p-387643c.html

Hevesi tries sneaking in
like a thief

Ever since admitting that a state employee has been improperly chauffeuring his wife for the past four years, Controller Alan Hevesi has gone underground.
He's spoken to a few small audiences and met privately with editorial boards. But he's flatly refused to answer questions about his misuse of the public funds he is supposed to be guarding - claiming, falsely, that he's obliged to keep quiet while the state Ethics Commission investigates his behavior. He's also ducking debates with Republican challenger Chris Callaghan, who blew the whistle on the "Driving Mrs. Hevesi" scandal in the first place.

Hevesi is no doubt gambling that voters will forget about this shameful episode before Election Day. But hiding from the people is another huge mistake from a guy who's running out of feet to shoot.

Just after the news broke, Hevesi acknowledged having an employee of the controller's office drive his ailing wife, Carol, to medical appointments and other destinations unrelated to official business. After declaring himself "abjectly apologetic" and promising to pay $83,000 in restitution to the taxpayers, Hevesi dropped off the radar.

Exactly how did he calculate the $83,000? He won't say. Will he pay back taxes on what amounts to unreported income? He won't say.

The stealth tactics will probably work in the short run. With big advantages in name recognition, party enrollment and fund-raising, Hevesi may well slink back into the controller's office without opening his mouth.

But the cynical strategy will destroy the few shreds of credibility he has left as the taxpayers' watchdog in Albany. Every time he puts out an audit about a village clerk with his hand in the till, Hevesi will face questions about his own sticky fingers.

Hevesi's only chance for redemption is to throw himself on the mercy of the court of public opinion. That means accepting debates with Callaghan. It also means hitting the campaign trail and letting as many voters as possible learn about his transgression and hear his apology.

That's the only way to find out if New York's voters are really willing to forgive and forget.

If you prick us, do we not bleed?  
  if you tickle us, do we not laugh? if you poison  
  us, do we not die? and if you wrong us, shall we not  
  revenge? m.of v. w.shaka                                             speare

Ever

Oh. My. God. A member of the party of liberal state spending is using a state driver to send his wife places? Is it so he can cyber @#!* little boys?

They're all crooks

! B L U E WAR R I O R..!

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
what about hil clinton...why elect her to another term since the moment she gets her office back she will abandon new yorkers to run for president...bullshite!

that is a crime!

Julie Fern

• LSD Obsessed
  • hillary clinton say "boo!"
    • View Profile
yes, thing people really hate most when their senator become president.  and hc be reelected with only what, 65% of vote?  oh, how those new york voters must hate her!

AssGrinch

• View Profile
Democrats have run Louisiana into the ground.  Blanco, Long, Jefferson, Nagin, Edwards, Landrieu, etc. 

Julie Fern

• LSD Obsessed
  • hillary clinton say "boo!"
    • View Profile
sorry, sport, we listing republicans here.

get with program.

Julie Fern

• Sr. Citizen
  • great grandpa mccain = warmonger
    • View Profile
putz.
if want "change," stop following republicans off cliff.

->Soon

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
WASHINGTON - Former House Speaker Newt Gingrich acknowledged he was having an extramarital affair even as he led the charge against
President Clinton over the Monica Lewinsky affair, he acknowledged in an interview with a conservative Christian group.

"The honest answer is yes," Gingrich, a potential 2008 Republican presidential candidate, said in an interview with Focus on the Family founder James Dobson to be aired Friday, according to a transcript provided to The Associated Press. "There are times that I have fallen short of my own standards. There's certainly times when I've fallen short of God's standards."

Gingrich argued in the interview, however, that he should not be viewed as a hypocrite for pursuing Clinton's infidelity.

"The president of the United States got in trouble for committing a felony in front of a sitting federal judge," the former Georgia congressman said of Clinton's 1998 House impeachment on perjury and obstruction of justice charges. "I drew a line in my mind that said, 'Even though I run the risk of being deeply embarrassed, and even though at a purely personal level I am not rendering judgment on another human being, as a leader of the government trying to uphold the rule of law, I have no choice except to move forward and say that you cannot accept ... perjury in your highest officials."

Widely considered a mastermind of the Republican revolution that swept Congress in the 1994 elections, Gingrich remains wildly popular among many conservatives. He has repeatedly placed near the top of Republican presidential polls recently, even though he has not formed a campaign.

Gingrich has said he is waiting to see how the Republican field shapes up before deciding in the fall whether to run.

Reports of extramarital affairs have dogged him for years as a result of two messy divorces, but he has refused to discuss them publicly.

Gingrich, who frequently campaigned on family values issues, divorced his second wife, Marianne, in 2000 after his attorneys acknowledged Gingrich's relationship with his current wife, Callista Bisek, a former congressional aide more than 20 years younger than he is.

His first marriage, to his former high school geometry teacher, Jackie Battley, ended in divorce in 1981. Although Gingrich has said he doesn't remember it, Battley has said Gingrich discussed divorce terms with her while she was recuperating in the hospital from cancer surgery.

Gingrich married Marianne months after the divorce.

"There were times when I was praying and when I felt I was doing things that were wrong. But I was still doing them," he said in the interview. "I look back on those as periods of weakness and periods that I'm ... not proud of."

Gingrich's congressional career ended in 1998 when he abruptly resigned from Congress after poor showings from Republicans in elections and after being reprimanded by the House ethics panel over charges that he used tax-exempt funding to advance his political goals.

whats funny is that even though their leaders are just as corrupt, if not more so, than the dems, the lemmings keep following them.

Do you really believe in free speech, or just in speech you agree with?

! B L U E WAR R I O R..!

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
this Donkee Democrat doo-doo nonsense is just as juicy...

A BRITISHER’S VIEW - Crooked Clarence Should Have Known Better
By Shavana Abruzzo

One would think the son of a pastor would know the difference between right and wrong.

Yet, a jury of his peers discovered the opposite to be true when they found former Brooklyn-lawyer-turned-political-powerhouse Clarence Norman guilty of corruption charges, making the February 23 conviction his third of four trials on hubris-linked lawlessness in the past 17 months – with one acquittal.

Norman’s cronies – the ones he had helped boost up the political ladder during his 23 years as member of the New York State Assembly and 15-year tenure as top banana of the privileged Kings County Democratic Party – appeared to abandon ship as charges of grand larceny, tampering with business records, illegal solicitation of funds for his 2000 and 2002 campaigns and plain old extortion began to surface against him, courtesy of a sting operation by Brooklyn District Attorney Charles Hynes.

The convictions forced Norman to be disbarred from practicing law and surrender – in disgrace – the prominent positions he had enjoyed and abused within the city, state and national Democratic Party as the first African American, and youngest Democrat, to serve as chairman of the Executive Committee of the Kings County Democratic County Committee.

So much so, that a Brooklyn civil court candidate testified in the last trial that Norman threatened to “dump her” if she did not use a specific, party-favored firm to print her campaign leaflets.

Out on bail throughout his quartet of trials, and vowing to stand tall and proud in the face of his discredit and scandal, Clarence Norman exemplifies the type of politician, who has stopped serving his voters because he has bigger – illegal – fish to fry.

In a typical turn of events, the crooked politician has seen his power, wealth and influence transformed into the probable likelihood of a long prison sentence – up to six years – for defrauding and shaming his party and his voters.

Infected by his greed and drunken by his thirst for ill-gotten spoils, Norman has plummeted from a perk-laden pedestal, which included such succulent stints as delegate to the Democratic National Convention in 2000 and 2004, presidential elector from New York in 2000, member of the Democratic National Committee from New York in 2004 and assistant majority leader of the New York State Assembly.

Apparently, all that was not enough for this offender, who entered the world of politics after serving as a general counsel to the New York State Assembly Subcommittee on Probation and Parole, and later worked in the felony bureau of the very district attorney’s office which, more than 20 years later, would haul him off to court for criminal conduct.

Someone in Clarence Norman’s former wide-ranging, esteemed and highly-paid position should have known better than to even think about breaking the law he had once sworn to uphold.

kilroy55

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Mad Rambling by Travis
Gingrich is such a hypocrit.  Even though he claims he isn't, the man went after the president for getting a hummer, while he was also getting some outside of marriage.  So what, Clinton lied about an affair.  What man wouldn't?  Gingrich is a slime ball, just as bad as Clinton.