Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Networking: do you use LinkedIn?  (Read 404 times)

HippieLawChick

• Sr. Citizen
  • Current 2L
    • View Profile
Networking: do you use LinkedIn?
« on: April 27, 2006, 09:31:08 AM »
I have been using this for a while.  It is kind of like Friendster or MySpace, but for professionals to network.  You essentially post your resume and background info, and former coworkers can "endorse" you and become your "connections".  Lots of law students are on it already.

I think it's pretty cool.

Alamo

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Networking: do you use LinkedIn?
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2006, 10:37:23 AM »
I plan on it in the future, however, my current manager in the consulting business added me to his network, which I'm not really planning on doing much with since I'll only be in my current job for another couple of months.  But it does seem like a great way of networking.
I must admit that I may have been infected with society's prejudices and predilections and attributed them to God . . . and that in years hence I may be seen as someone who was on the wrong side of history.  I don't believe such doubts make me a bad Christian.  I believe they make me human . . .

HippieLawChick

• Sr. Citizen
  • Current 2L
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2006, 11:39:50 AM »
I have been asking my connections to ad any lawyers they know to their own networkds.  That way, when it is time for me to apply for jobs for my 1L summer, I can garner "introductions" and send resumes to these attorneys. 

I really think that LinkedIn should hook up with the law school career services departments and provide the "extra" memberships to their students.

HippieLawChick

• Sr. Citizen
  • Current 2L
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2006, 12:43:46 PM »
Yeah...this isn't really like facebook.  No photos.  No teenagers or college students.  Just professionals posting their credentials and networking with each other. 

I don't think you can really just page through it or would unless you are job hunting.

jvan2619

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2006, 03:23:01 PM »
I'm in it and love it!  It really does give you a ton of connections.  The great thing is that I know a TON of people who have gotten positions or filled positions through it.  I'm sure you've also found that with one degree of separation you can really find a ton of people.

HippieLawChick

• Sr. Citizen
  • Current 2L
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2006, 10:15:05 AM »
Totally!  I am having a hard time getting some of the people I invited to add more connections to thier own networks (and therefore increase the "one away" connections I have)

ANy suggestions?

jvan2619

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2006, 10:26:09 AM »
Unfortunately I'm having the same problem :(  I just recently set up my account after receiving a ton of requests from others and not knowing what it was.  No suggestions, but I've been trying to explain it to others to show them the benefit...then they seem to "get it".  It really is cool!  My Dad was very concerned about getting a ton of Emails if he entered his info.  I think some people have had bad experiences with other systems in the past. 

HippieLawChick

• Sr. Citizen
  • Current 2L
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2006, 10:29:07 AM »
Yeah...you are probably right.  I also think that many people discount the value of this system.