Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: USC  (Read 11659 times)

john83

Re: USC
« Reply #70 on: May 08, 2006, 11:36:01 AM »
yeah, what school waits to make first decisions until may for applicants who applied in OCT, NOV, and DEC? seriously. especially with absolutely no contact whatsoever. it wasn't this bad last cycle was it?

very un-cool.

Bay Area Bum

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: May 08, 2006, 12:48:04 PM »
i called the admissions office today and they HOPE to make all the decisions in the next two to three weeks....

why would it take so long?   ???

EscapingWisco

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: May 09, 2006, 12:08:03 PM »
I went on vault.com and signed up for a membership (if you are a Golden Key member, you can get a full year for $20).  They have very helpful student reviews.  I looked at USC and the students who posted said that they were treated wonderfully by the admissions committee- that they were notified quickly and were invited to all sorts of events.  They all also raved about the school.  That made me kind of "un-withdraw" (in my mind, remember? :) ) But I'm still a bit miffed.

I recommend checking out the Vault for reviews about schools from current students.  For now, I am planning on attending USD.  I am going ahead and making living arrangements, and if at the last minute I get in to USC, perhaps I will switch plans and go there.  I read on the surveys that tons of people get off the waitlist for USC, up to the day before orientation.  Losing an apartment deposit in San Diego won't matter if I end up at USC anyway.  I'll graduate with so much debt, I'll have to pull an Anna Nicole and marry at 98 year old sugar daddy.  ;)

wowand135

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Law School Numbers
    • Email
« Reply #73 on: May 09, 2006, 06:47:10 PM »
it kind of sounds like no news is good news for right now, seeing all the rejections on LSN.

moonpie

• Sr. Citizen
  • No it's not mexico
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: May 09, 2006, 06:49:11 PM »
I went on vault.com and signed up for a membership (if you are a Golden Key member, you can get a full year for $20).  They have very helpful student reviews.  I looked at USC and the students who posted said that they were treated wonderfully by the admissions committee- that they were notified quickly and were invited to all sorts of events.  They all also raved about the school.  That made me kind of "un-withdraw" (in my mind, remember? :) ) But I'm still a bit miffed.

I recommend checking out the Vault for reviews about schools from current students.  For now, I am planning on attending USD.  I am going ahead and making living arrangements, and if at the last minute I get in to USC, perhaps I will switch plans and go there.  I read on the surveys that tons of people get off the waitlist for USC, up to the day before orientation.  Losing an apartment deposit in San Diego won't matter if I end up at USC anyway.  I'll graduate with so much debt, I'll have to pull an Anna Nicole and marry at 98 year old sugar daddy.  ;)

Wait. You stopped being upset because they handled other people better while leaving you feeling disgruntled?

EscapingWisco

• View Profile
« Reply #75 on: May 09, 2006, 11:59:02 PM »

Wait. You stopped being upset because they handled other people better while leaving you feeling disgruntled?

I wasn't very clear (my brain has been fried by this whole process).  I meant that most people surveyed (both students and alumni) had a good experience with the admissions committee in past years.  Perhaps this year is different for some reason and it does not reflect the overall atmosphere of the school. 

...Okay, I just re-read what I wrote above, and I think it's probably B.S. Oh, the lengths we will go to ease our minds :)

moonpie

• Sr. Citizen
  • No it's not mexico
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: May 10, 2006, 03:20:38 AM »
hehe. I don't think you should be discouraged, though, because:

1) You don't deal with the admissions people after you get in.

and

2) I have a feeling that this happens to everyone. Dragging people out just makes sense if they're borderline accept/WL or WL/reject. It's quite impersonal and driven by the law of the marketplace. If it makes sense for their numbers to do something, they're going to do it even if it discomforts the applicants. Why? Because they let you into school; they have you by the short hairs. Students can turn the tables if they have precocious numbers or are URM, and then it is schools who court the applicant.

I got my USC acceptance on my birthday, decently early for a december application, and a quick scholarship offer. I had to wait a month and a half more for Berkeley to reject me, and until mid-April for UCLA to accept me. I'm sure that's all a product of my numbers--I was a solid candidate for USC, so they were reasonably quick, Berkeley was way out of my league, so they felt no particular pressing need to get back to me soon. UCLA, with my numbers, had to be almost 100% sure I would come if admitted, so my acceptance vs. rejection or WLing was completely a process of careful yield management and class-filling. If other people hadn't withdrawn, I wouldn't have gotten in.

So in short, don't be discouraged about USC. Be disillusioned about law school admissions. :)

HK

• Sr. Citizen
  • One country, Two Systems...
    • AOL Instant Messenger - ZacharyJL
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #77 on: May 10, 2006, 06:11:11 AM »
hehe. I don't think you should be discouraged, though, because:

1) You don't deal with the admissions people after you get in.

and

2) I have a feeling that this happens to everyone. Dragging people out just makes sense if they're borderline accept/WL or WL/reject. It's quite impersonal and driven by the law of the marketplace. If it makes sense for their numbers to do something, they're going to do it even if it discomforts the applicants. Why? Because they let you into school; they have you by the short hairs. Students can turn the tables if they have precocious numbers or are URM, and then it is schools who court the applicant.

I got my USC acceptance on my birthday, decently early for a december application, and a quick scholarship offer. I had to wait a month and a half more for Berkeley to reject me, and until mid-April for UCLA to accept me. I'm sure that's all a product of my numbers--I was a solid candidate for USC, so they were reasonably quick, Berkeley was way out of my league, so they felt no particular pressing need to get back to me soon. UCLA, with my numbers, had to be almost 100% sure I would come if admitted, so my acceptance vs. rejection or WLing was completely a process of careful yield management and class-filling. If other people hadn't withdrawn, I wouldn't have gotten in.

So in short, don't be discouraged about USC. Be disillusioned about law school admissions. :)

I think your point is generally correct, however USC is definitely much slower than other schools. This year their dean of admissions left, which probably contributed to their slowness. I mean, they still have A LOT pending for mid-may. At this point most other schools would have at least waitlisted a lot of the people waiting.

I do agree that if you want USC and you haven't heard yet, then all you can do is sit back and wait.

cob

• Sr. Citizen
  • 3.54/167
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: May 10, 2006, 11:30:35 AM »
Just hurry up.  Please.

Please, please, please.

whatsthedeal

• View Profile
« Reply #79 on: May 10, 2006, 01:12:13 PM »
The whole situation sucks. I need to know where I am going to live! However, if you check LSN they are starting to make some tough decisions.  The 162 LSAT scores are being rejected, which leaves us 163s safe...for now. I think I am going to be waitlisted, I'll make tentative plans at GW.  But how can I promise people that I am going to be their roommate and then bail all of a sudden?