Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: laptop  (Read 51982 times)

OingoBoingo

• Sr. Citizen
  • Simply the best band from the 80's
    • View Profile
Re: laptop
« Reply #750 on: July 26, 2006, 01:53:09 AM »
Latitudes are better if you are talking about equal specs.

This seems to be the consensus on this board. Whatever you do get the Dell accidental breakage warranty - this way you have no worries.

Oingo
"It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man."

andyg

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #751 on: July 26, 2006, 02:24:47 AM »
well i just looked it up and i could get a fully stocked D820 (the top of the line latitude) for $1,900.  Came to cheaper than i thought it would actually.
Georgetown 2009!

greengrl

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #752 on: July 26, 2006, 02:37:05 AM »
well i just looked it up and i could get a fully stocked D820 (the top of the line latitude) for $1,900.  Came to cheaper than i thought it would actually.

yes, but this is a fairly heavy machine. most schools recommend the D620. check with your school and see what kind of deals you can get

Strong

« Reply #753 on: July 26, 2006, 02:40:47 AM »

This seems to be the consensus on this board. Whatever you do get the Dell accidental breakage warranty - this way you have no worries.

Oingo

That being said I got a XPS M1210, which is of lesser build quality than latitudes, but they don't have a latitude with a 12" screen and a internal cd drive.

IMO, The warranty isn't any good in LS unless you got some kind of next day service. Mailing in would be disastrous,

OingoBoingo

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #754 on: July 26, 2006, 02:49:54 AM »

Oingo

That being said I got a XPS M1210, which is of lesser build quality than latitudes, but they don't have a latitude with a 12" screen and a internal cd drive.

IMO, The warranty isn't any good in LS unless you got some kind of next day service. Mailing in would be disastrous,

I agree with this - the biggest reason why I paid for on-site service with Lenovo.

Oingo

bass

• Sr. Citizen
  • Retired
    • View Profile
« Reply #755 on: July 26, 2006, 07:07:42 AM »
Oingo - I've had troubles with my linksys centrino combination on my current laptop.  It sucks.  I think the intel wireless cards are pretty crappy.  I hear the Altheon (or whatever) cards are much better (they also come in the lenovos).

Speaking of which, I want the comp.

OingoBoingo

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #756 on: July 26, 2006, 10:05:35 AM »
Oingo - I've had troubles with my linksys centrino combination on my current laptop.  It sucks.  I think the intel wireless cards are pretty crappy.  I hear the Altheon (or whatever) cards are much better (they also come in the lenovos).

You are probably right. I heard that the 2915 card performs MUCH better with Linksys routers than the 2200 card. The problems that 2200 owners see go across brands (Dell, HP, Lenovo etc etc) so you know the card has issues. Intel thinks they *fixed* things through connection software updates but problems still persist for some users (depending on the Linksys router model number). The biggest pet peeve I had was that there was no hardware specific device driver fix to this because of the "unique" way Intel put the thing together (without the use of such drivers).

In the end I simply dumped my Linksys router and now happily roll with a USRobotics model (that has a print server built in!). Much more happier now.

Oingo

bass

• Sr. Citizen
  • Retired
    • View Profile
« Reply #757 on: July 26, 2006, 10:07:23 AM »

You are probably right. I heard that the 2915 card performs MUCH better with Linksys routers than the 2200 card. The problems that 2200 owners see go across brands (Dell, HP, Lenovo etc etc) so you know the card has issues. Intel thinks they *fixed* things through connection software updates but problems still persist for some users (depending on the Linksys router model number). The biggest pet peeve I had was that there was no hardware specific device driver fix to this because of the "unique" way Intel put the thing together (without the use of such drivers).

In the end I simply dumped my Linksys router and now happily roll with a USRobotics model (that has a print server built in!). Much more happier now.

Oingo

Print server built in?  Does that mean you can hook up a printer directly to the router and use it as a network printer, even without a computer server?

That would be very good.

If so, what's the model number of your router/

lightessenz

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #758 on: July 26, 2006, 12:21:33 PM »
I am looking for a decent bluetooth printer right now...or something with WIFI.

Typhoon Longwang

• Sr. Citizen
  • I have the power to stop an LSAT!
    • View Profile
« Reply #759 on: July 26, 2006, 12:48:45 PM »
I am looking for a decent bluetooth printer right now...or something with WIFI.

You can also buy print servers that allow you to connect a parallel port or USB printer to a network.  They start at $25 and go up.