Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: laptop  (Read 51968 times)

OingoBoingo

• Sr. Citizen
  • Simply the best band from the 80's
    • View Profile
Re: laptop
« Reply #740 on: July 25, 2006, 04:54:45 PM »
Dude, you are going to St Thomas??

Yep I am. St Thomas (Minnesota not Florida). Why, are you going too?

Oingo

I see.  I actually received an email from them back in the days asking me to apply.  I think they waived all application fees. I think I didn't apply because it was either non-ABA or provisionally approved at the time.   I will be attending UIUC this fall.

Cool good luck at UIUC! St Thomas received full accreditation this spring. I initially shared some of the same concerns but a visit there along with talking with some current UMinn and St Thomas students convinced me that it really wasn't as big of a gamble as I made it out to be in my mind. That and the scholly offer plus my own situation with my family (We're expecting our first child soon) made it an ideal choice.

Oingo

glad that you picked a school that works for you.  The most important thing is that it is now accredited. 
What happened at UMinn that turned you off?  I was deciding between UMinn, Iowa, UIUC and Northwestern, and finally picked UIUC due to its nice scholarship package. 

In all honesty, St Thomas made me feel like they wanted me here - really, that was the biggest thing. I knew that I wanted to stay in the Twin Cities afterward, so I really wasn't bothered by the regional aspect of the school. 

I am older (30s) and starting a family, so the idea of "really really big" biglaw kind of turns me off. That is why the opportunity to graduate with much less debt made sense, for me.

BTW, UIUC's former Dean Mengler is now the Dean at St Thomas.

Oingo

Oingo
"It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man."

law123

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #741 on: July 25, 2006, 09:56:38 PM »
Anyone with a Thinkpad experienced this:
I was setting a password with the fingerprint reader and I got one of those error messages from microsoft saying the fingerprint software encountered a problem and needs to close, what I was working on may be lost, etc.  After that, I try to get back in to the fingerprint software and it says no fingerprints have been enrolled.  I restart computer and it lets me into the program but all the passwords I had stored were gone......sweet, Lenovo.

law123

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #742 on: July 25, 2006, 10:09:23 PM »
By the way, I called Lenovo support and stated my case to some woman who couldn't speak English, who gave me a case# and transferred me to the "fingerprint department" where I proceeded to stay on hold for 39 minutes and 40 seconds without speaking to anyone before I hung up in disgust (this is at 10pm Eastern when you'd expect not many people calling in).  Lenovo support is unimpressive to say the very least.

Typhoon Longwang

• Sr. Citizen
  • I have the power to stop an LSAT!
    • View Profile
« Reply #743 on: July 25, 2006, 10:28:31 PM »
By the way, I called Lenovo support and stated my case to some woman who couldn't speak English, who gave me a case# and transferred me to the "fingerprint department" where I proceeded to stay on hold for 39 minutes and 40 seconds without speaking to anyone before I hung up in disgust (this is at 10pm Eastern when you'd expect not many people calling in).  Lenovo support is unimpressive to say the very least.

What number did you call?  I called them with some warranty questions on Sunday and spoke to people in the U.S. who were very nice and helpful.

law123

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #744 on: July 25, 2006, 10:31:00 PM »
800-426-7378

Typhoon Longwang

• Sr. Citizen
  • I have the power to stop an LSAT!
    • View Profile
« Reply #745 on: July 25, 2006, 10:47:46 PM »
800-426-7378

Wow, that's amazing.  When I called, I initially talked to one person.  He needed me to talk to someone in a different department so he rang her and we got in a conference call.  I thought he had hung up but at the end she asked if there was anything he needed to do and I realized he was there the whole time.  The I received a call the next day as a follow up.

Maybe they routed you to the evil call center.

bass

• Sr. Citizen
  • Retired
    • View Profile
« Reply #746 on: July 25, 2006, 10:54:59 PM »
I just got notice that my X60s has shipped the day after I ordered it.

andyg

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #747 on: July 26, 2006, 01:26:09 AM »
Regarding the Dells...there is alot on here about deciding b/w the different lenovos, but what about the difference b/w the Dell Inspiron (home model) and the Latitude (buiness model) ?

Are there pros and cons to each one, or is one clearly better ?

Thanks!
Georgetown 2009!

Strong

« Reply #748 on: July 26, 2006, 01:48:35 AM »
Latitudes are better if you are talking about equal specs.

OingoBoingo

• Sr. Citizen
  • Simply the best band from the 80's
    • View Profile
« Reply #749 on: July 26, 2006, 01:51:01 AM »

I almost wish I got an Indian call center last time I called because at least the Indian call center people are somewhat polite. I had to call IBM/Lenovo the week I bought my X41 tablet to help get over a constant disconnect issue I was having with my wireless card. The dude I spoke with was already angry about something else before I even uttered my first word. I still can't beleive this but he actually told me that he didn't like "the tone of my voice."

Needless to say I figured out the problem myself (the Intel 2200 card does not like some linksys routers for some reason) and just resolved to cross my fingers the next time I call and hope that the dude I spoke with was fired.

Oingo
"It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man."