Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: laptop  (Read 52374 times)

whoisjohngalt

• Sr. Citizen
  • "I go to Cornell... ever heard of it?"
    • View Profile
Re: laptop
« Reply #680 on: July 20, 2006, 12:50:35 PM »
edit: found answer

ZinnMaster

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - ianny1982
    • View Profile
« Reply #681 on: July 21, 2006, 12:11:54 PM »
I'm looking for some help as I try to decide on a laptop for this fall. Currently I am considering the following, what do you think?

HP dv5000z series PC

Operating System:               Genuine Windows XP Home Edition     

Processor:                      AMD Sempron(TM) 3100+ (1.8GHz/256KB L2 Cache)    

Display:                    FREE Upgrade to 15.4" WXGA BrightView Widescreen!!    

Graphics Card:                    32MB ATI RADEON(R) XPRESS 200M    

Memory:                    1.0GB DDR SDRAM (2x512MB)    

Hard Drive:                    80 GB 4200 RPM Hard Drive    

Primary CD/DVD Drive:            DVD/CD-RW Combo Drive    

Networking:                    FREE Upgrade to 54g(TM) 802.11b/g WLAN!!    

Primary Battery:            12 Cell Lithium Ion Battery    

HP extended service plans:    3-year HP Express Repair extended service plan

Cost: $903.00

Also, I keep hearing that Dell is the way to go, but I can't seem to find any that I like. Any suggestions?

Thanks-
Whole Lotta Love: Pittsburgh ($), Syracuse ($$), Case Western, Depaul, New York Law ($$), Penn State ($$), Chicago-Kent   
Bring It On Home: Northeastern(WL), Chicago-Loyola(WL),  Brooklyn
Heartbreaker: Georgetown, George Washington, American

yiplong

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #682 on: July 21, 2006, 12:14:14 PM »
That HP laptop is way too heavy for me. They quality is questionable as well.

ZinnMaster

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #683 on: July 21, 2006, 12:14:46 PM »
I've got a friend who supplies me with all the software, so I'm going to try and go that direction to save some cash.
Whole Lotta Love: Pittsburgh ($), Syracuse ($$), Case Western, Depaul, New York Law ($$), Penn State ($$), Chicago-Kent   

ZinnMaster

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #684 on: July 21, 2006, 12:16:39 PM »
yiplong, which laptop would you recommend? I am looking for quality and durability. To be honest I seem to go toward the heavier ones, mainly because I like a fairly large screen and a normal size keyboard. The weight doesn't bother me though...yet of course.

yiplong

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #685 on: July 21, 2006, 12:17:06 PM »
You probably need XP Pro for school.

No you don't, unless they require you to log on to a domain to use the network resources, which is rarely the case.  Best way is to check with your school's IT dept. to make sure.  There is no need to waste your money buying the Pro edition if all you are going to do is use it for law school and personal uses.

yiplong

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #686 on: July 21, 2006, 12:19:17 PM »
yiplong, which laptop would you recommend? I am looking for quality and durability. To be honest I seem to go toward the heavier ones, mainly because I like a fairly large screen and a normal size keyboard. The weight doesn't bother me though...yet of course.

It depends on your need.  For example, do you own a desktop? what about PDA? Do you play game?  What is more important to you: cheapness or quality?  Let me know your budget and current computing situation.

ZinnMaster

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #687 on: July 21, 2006, 12:31:46 PM »

It depends on your need.  For example, do you own a desktop? what about PDA? Do you play game?  What is more important to you: cheapness or quality?  Let me know your budget and current computing situation.

I don't play games, download music, or anything like that. I have a desktop that I use and abuse for all the "fun" stuff. The laptop will be used specifically for law school. I plan on taking notes and tests with it, as well as writing papers and using the research programs (which I hear are pretty large). I like the widescreen/brightscreens because I plan on starring at it all day, and I like the idea of a long battery life. Other then that I just need a good warranty and a laptop that is durrable. My price range is about $600-$1,100. Thanks.

crazy8

« Reply #688 on: July 21, 2006, 01:49:54 PM »
Bought the x60s today  :) But it's expected shipping date is 8/14  :-\ I'm leaving for school shortly after that and am afraid it won't get there in time.  Can anyone (who has gotten it shipped) tell me how much sooner (or later) than the expected shipping date their x60s was shipped?

yiplong

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #689 on: July 21, 2006, 02:00:51 PM »
In your case, I think you should get a thin-and-light 14" laptop, between 4-6 lb.  You don't want to go much heavier than 6, remember you might need to carry your books as well. I think the Thinkpad T Series would fit you need perfectly.  If you would like to go widescreen, try the Dell D620.