Law School Discussion

laptop

Re: laptop
« Reply #570 on: July 14, 2006, 09:14:33 PM »
But it will still work right....but does that mean no updates?

If you know some tricks and download a few things, it will work right.

Strong

« Reply #571 on: July 14, 2006, 09:25:26 PM »
I bought a dell XP Pro restore CD and it doesn't need a key if you put it on a dell. If someone has a dell.

« Reply #572 on: July 15, 2006, 12:01:52 AM »
You guys are awesome!!

I am in process of a move but will try this all next week when I get there. Thanx!

Officer Rod Farva

• FARVA #1
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #573 on: July 15, 2006, 12:01:28 PM »
weight vs screen sizes

If you get the docking station for the X60 along with a monitor to hook up to the docking station, or if you have a desktop you will use at home, then the X60 is a little more promising, imo. If you just want one computer, and no docking station, then I'd get the T-series.

I'm getting the X60.

Officer Rod Farva

• FARVA #1
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #574 on: July 15, 2006, 12:20:23 PM »

If you get the docking station for the X60 along with a monitor to hook up to the docking station, or if you have a desktop you will use at home, then the X60 is a little more promising, imo. If you just want one computer, and no docking station, then I'd get the T-series.

I would rather not mess with the extra-hardware of a docking station or another desktop. How do the specs look for the aforementioned computer?  Pretty standard?

I would get a gig of RAM and forego the ATI card, as it will serve no functional purpose and will decrease battery life.

Strong

« Reply #575 on: July 15, 2006, 12:25:26 PM »

I would rather not mess with the extra-hardware of a docking station or another desktop. How do the specs look for the aforementioned computer?  Pretty standard?

I would get a gig of RAM and forego the ATI card, as it will serve no functional purpose and will decrease battery life.

agreed

Typhoon Longwang

• I have the power to stop an LSAT!
    • View Profile
« Reply #576 on: July 15, 2006, 06:12:23 PM »

I disagree.  Get the ATI card, you can always add memory later...adding the video card may not be possible.  I don't know that particular model of graphics card but I've read that the power loss between discrete and integrated graphics cards need not be overly large.  Most laptop graphics cards allow you to select a power saving mode to conserve energy.  On the sony Vaio SZ with integrated and discrete cards, the battery savings was 30 minutes or less.

Law2k6

• U.Va. Law, J.D. 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #577 on: July 15, 2006, 08:35:34 PM »

I disagree.  Get the ATI card, you can always add memory later...adding the video card may not be possible.  I don't know that particular model of graphics card but I've read that the power loss between discrete and integrated graphics cards need not be overly large.  Most laptop graphics cards allow you to select a power saving mode to conserve energy.  On the sony Vaio SZ with integrated and discrete cards, the battery savings was 30 minutes or less.

I respectfully disagree. The benefits of a better video card are likely to be negligible for a law student who's not doing a lot of gaming or AutoCAD type stuff. The system will perform noticeably better with 1GB of RAM or more. It is true that it's easy to upgrade RAM, but why get something you aren't likely to take advantage of and forgoe something which you would benefit from every time you use your computer?

Also, avoid the Inspiron. If you're getting a Dell laptop, get the Latitude series. They are made better and will withstand the abuse of daily use in class much better. Also, be sure to get 3 years of on-site, next business day warranty service that includes accidental damage.

The specs on the laptop the OP linked to look fine. It will be sufficient for any law related tasks you will perform, with the aforementioned caveat about 1GB of RAM giving much better performance. And on the subject of performance, a drive with 7200rpm will perform better than the slower 5400rpm. This is especially an issue if you have less RAM and thus force the operating system to make heavier use of the SWAP file (a hard drive substitute for RAM).

my 2 cents

Strong

« Reply #578 on: July 15, 2006, 08:47:09 PM »
I had the option of Integrated or a Nvidia 256mb, I don't even want to have the option of gaming on it.

There might be an arguement to get a good card to support windows vista, but thats a ways off.

« Reply #579 on: July 16, 2006, 07:38:02 AM »
When Lenovo says "Customer Carry-in Repair" is that the same as depot repair?  Does it mean I have to pay for shipping costs or does Lenovo just send me a pre-paid box?

Thanks in advance.  I tried to find the answer on the Lenovo website and googling but no luck (probably b/c it's so obvious and I'm clueless).  :)