Law School Discussion

laptop

Re: laptop
« Reply #370 on: June 11, 2006, 05:39:34 PM »
im looking to buy a laptop for ls and basically i need it for all the basics like internet, word processing, music, watching dvds, etc. but i will also be doing some minor video editing on it. i've done a lot of research and im probably gonna get the dell xps m1210. im just wondering if 1GB ram will be enough for what i'll be doing or do i have to shell out the extra money for a 2GB? also will a 1.83ghz processor be enough? and what's the difference b/w a shared intel core duo processor and regular intel core duo processor? thanks!

OingoBoingo

• Simply the best band from the 80's
    • View Profile
« Reply #371 on: June 11, 2006, 05:45:30 PM »
im looking to buy a laptop for ls and basically i need it for all the basics like internet, word processing, music, watching dvds, etc. but i will also be doing some minor video editing on it. i've done a lot of research and im probably gonna get the dell xps m1210. im just wondering if 1GB ram will be enough for what i'll be doing or do i have to shell out the extra money for a 2GB? also will a 1.83ghz processor be enough? and what's the difference b/w a shared intel core duo processor and regular intel core duo processor? thanks!

You do not need 2 gigs of RAM for LS. You could probably do just fine with 512 MB. In fact, I am amazed how much so little can buy these days. As for the Core duo vs Core solo - get the core duo. Not because you'll need it - only because you won't pay much of a price penalty for it.

Oingo

« Reply #372 on: June 11, 2006, 05:51:05 PM »

You do not need 2 gigs of RAM for LS. You could probably do just fine with 512 MB. In fact, I am amazed how much so little can buy these days. As for the Core duo vs Core solo - get the core duo. Not because you'll need it - only because you won't pay much of a price penalty for it.

Oingo

I know I don't need 2 gigs of RAM for LS but will it help with the video editing that i'll be doing?

« Reply #373 on: June 11, 2006, 05:52:15 PM »
I'm not AT ALL a techie.... how are the Sony Vaios??? Any info would be greatly appreciated!

« Reply #374 on: June 11, 2006, 05:54:03 PM »
Really? may i ask why?

whoisjohngalt

• "I go to Cornell... ever heard of it?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #375 on: June 11, 2006, 06:28:57 PM »
Really? may i ask why?

I don't like the keyboard on the VAIO.  Feels cheap to me...

Generally, I'd say avoid anything you can buy at BestBuy.  Shop Lenovo (IBM) or Dell for the best PCs.  Just my personal opinion.

« Reply #376 on: June 11, 2006, 10:13:10 PM »
Really? may i ask why?

I don't think theres anything that bad about them, they just used to have a better rep.  I think it's more about not getting what you pay for with them, they are twice the price of Dell with no real good reason IMO.  Especially not if you just want a good computer for LS use.

tonic

« Reply #377 on: June 11, 2006, 10:21:59 PM »
Really? may i ask why?

Generally, I'd say avoid anything you can buy at BestBuy.  Shop Lenovo (IBM) or Dell for the best PCs.   Just my personal opinion.

Does this apply to laptops as well? I'm really considering a Dell, but I've heard their laptops are prone to hardware problems.

« Reply #378 on: June 11, 2006, 10:24:13 PM »
Really? may i ask why?

Generally, I'd say avoid anything you can buy at BestBuy.  Shop Lenovo (IBM) or Dell for the best PCs.   Just my personal opinion.

Does this apply to laptops as well? I'm really considering a Dell, but I've heard their laptops are prone to hardware problems.

I wouldn't go so far as to say to avoid anything at Best Buy. 

I'm personally a little computer savvy, so I went with a Dell, and I'm pretty confident that with some anti-virus and no shady downloading, I'll be fine.  If you're worried, just make sure that whatever laptop you get is fully covered by warranty/insurance and back up often (USB drive etc.) and you won't have any problems no matter what route you take.

tonic

« Reply #379 on: June 11, 2006, 10:25:36 PM »
Good call. Thankfully, my LS has a great service program that includes free loaner computers if yours is busted for any reason.