Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: laptop  (Read 52355 times)

Tyrael

• View Profile
Re: laptop
« Reply #350 on: June 07, 2006, 01:53:34 AM »
Hi everyone.  I wish to spend $400 or less on a really small laptop.  I would use the laptop only for taking notes in class and possibly checking the internet.  I don't need any fancy applications or hardcore processing speed.  I already have an ACER laptop that I purchased a year ago and this monstrosity is way too big to carry to class.  (This laptop is like the Escalade of laptops...)  Does anyone have any suggestions for a really cheap laptop that would be reliable enough for me to take to class?  Thanks in advance. 

habeas dorkus!

• Sr. Citizen
  • A retired queen of hearts
    • View Profile
« Reply #351 on: June 07, 2006, 05:01:20 AM »
Rather than start a new thread I figured I'd post my laptop question here. After being accepted to school a very generous relative suprised and gifted me with a new laptop.  It's beautiful, it's just massive.  It's 17" wide and weighs close to a ton.  After reading much of this thread and others, I'm fearing that it will be impossible to lug it to school everyday and use it to take notes in class. Regardless, I don't know if I can purchase another one and keep a clean conscience., I definately can't sell this one.  Any suggestions, should I purchase a super cheap portable one for school?  Or Should I just suck it up and carry this Giant? 

I'm in a similar situation. I decided to keep my 17" Dell XPS as a portable desktop (and only move it when really necessary) and purchase a slightly used 12" IBM Thinkpad to take to class. I paid a little more for some unneccessary bells and whistles, but you should be able to pick up a 12" on eBay that will suit your purposes for about $500.

I might have to do this, just get a very basic one for notes, etc.  What would you suggest, any particular brand?  What should I look for:used, refurbished?  This will be my first Laptop purchase personally.  I'm not tech savy and don't really know what the minimum specks should be.  Any help would be greatly appreciated. 
Julie 

From my experience, if you're looking for something solely for the purpose of word processing, the model you pick doesn't matter that much. If you're looking at auction sites, I'd recommend trying to find something that's used, but not refurbished -- it's hard to know what you're getting with refurbished machines. Try to figure out the specs you'll need for basic stuff -- I went a little overboard with my 2nd laptop, plus I'm a gamer, so I may not be the best person to ask about basic specs. But I'm sure there are plenty of people in this thread who could tell you exactly what to look for. For my money, I found Thinkpads to be a great deal -- but that depends on how much you want to spend.

Sorry if this post isn't very helpful.
Stop being so cryptic, fuckers.

SapientiaEstPotentia

• Sr. Citizen
  • Three time CHAMP
    • View Profile
« Reply #352 on: June 08, 2006, 12:52:47 AM »
This is mainly for the tech experts but open to the general LSD public. What’s up with HP?

I herd they produce reliable technology. 
My uncle works in Silicon valley and the rumor is that HP is working on some cutting edge Nano technology to be integrated  with upcoming floor models.
One cannot conceive anything so strange and so implausible that it has not already been said by one philosopher or another. -- René Descartes, A Discourse on Method

maka nani

• LSD Obsessed
    • AOL Instant Messenger - redsox1079
    • View Profile
« Reply #353 on: June 08, 2006, 08:26:59 AM »
my laptop has broken already - i miss my powerbook
DON'T GO TO LAW SCHOOL YOU DUMB FUCKS.

maka nani

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #354 on: June 08, 2006, 08:52:06 AM »
something to do with the system board...i have noooooooo idea but  >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(

maka nani

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #355 on: June 08, 2006, 08:57:42 AM »
yep! it is.  i have the worst luck with laptops.  the only one w/o problems was the vaio.  my first apple was an ibook and it had a bad logic board.  i returned it and got a powerbook and something happened with that (minor).  sigh.

"Legapp" Stands for "Legal Application"

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #356 on: June 09, 2006, 11:46:41 AM »
Now for the other end of the spectrum:  what is the cheapest laptop I can possibly get with these specs:

ExamSoft has the following requirements:
At least: 1Ghz CPU, 256MB RAM, 50MB free hard disk space
Windows XP
Wireless networking

It only has to last a year, tops.  I want a Macbook once Leopard comes out, so I just need something crappy to bide my time on... I'll still keep all my good stuff--photos, music, etc-- on my G4 desktop, so all I need is word processing capability and ExamSoft.

Thoughts?
I am officially a law school graduate : )

Typhoon Longwang

• Sr. Citizen
  • I have the power to stop an LSAT!
    • View Profile
« Reply #357 on: June 09, 2006, 12:33:33 PM »
Now for the other end of the spectrum:  what is the cheapest laptop I can possibly get with these specs:

Windows XP
Wireless networking

It only has to last a year, tops.  I want a Macbook once Leopard comes out, so I just need something crappy to bide my time on... I'll still keep all my good stuff--photos, music, etc-- on my G4 desktop, so all I need is word processing capability and ExamSoft.

Thoughts?

eBay baby.
http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?sofocus=bs&sbrftog=1&from=R10&satitle=1Ghz+laptop&sacat=-1%26catref%3DC6&bs=Search&fsop=1%26fsoo%3D1&coaction=compare&copagenum=1&coentrypage=search&fgtp=&sargn=-1%26saslc%3D2&sadis=200&fpos=84103&ftrt=1&ftrv=1&saprclo=&saprchi=

"Legapp" Stands for "Legal Application"

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #358 on: June 09, 2006, 12:39:55 PM »

Windows XP
Wireless networking

Thoughts?

I would buy refurbished from a big name place.  Dell has a 14" Inspiron refurb. for $429 right now.

I saw these--do you think they'll hold up for a year?  If you buy refurb, do you get a warranty?
I am officially a law school graduate : )

chevelle

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #359 on: June 09, 2006, 12:53:07 PM »
do you guys think the 3 year warranties are worth the extra cost?