Law School Discussion

laptop

Re: laptop
« Reply #190 on: May 16, 2006, 12:45:57 PM »
Oingo,
Do you have the hard drive clicking problems with your X41 tablet?  If so, how loud is it?

Karl Pilkington

• Only Ricky and Steve know my secret identity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: May 16, 2006, 02:31:42 PM »
isnt the tax like 80 bucks? jesus just pay it....probably cost you that much in gas to drive to pick it up. 

Well my home is actually rhode island, paying 7% tax on an 1800 dollar computer would be about $125.  My friend goes up to his house just about every weekend and he'll bring it to me, why not save the money and buy some extra accessories or extended warranty? I don't see why I wouldn't take advantage of that. 

Doesn't RI have a Consumer's Use Tax? If it's anything like the Consumer's Use Tax in other states, you're still legally obligated to pay the 7% - you'll just do it next April. Sure, you can probably get away with not reporting it, but is tax evasion really the way you want to start your law career?

SantiV

« Reply #192 on: May 16, 2006, 02:42:57 PM »
isnt the tax like 80 bucks? jesus just pay it....probably cost you that much in gas to drive to pick it up. 

Well my home is actually rhode island, paying 7% tax on an 1800 dollar computer would be about $125.  My friend goes up to his house just about every weekend and he'll bring it to me, why not save the money and buy some extra accessories or extended warranty? I don't see why I wouldn't take advantage of that. 

Doesn't RI have a Consumer's Use Tax? If it's anything like the Consumer's Use Tax in other states, you're still legally obligated to pay the 7% - you'll just do it next April. Sure, you can probably get away with not reporting it, but is tax evasion really the way you want to start your law career?

Hey, I'm not very certain about this. How sure are you? Sure I wouldn't want to start off like this, but they way I look at it, it'd really be my friend buying the laptop under his name (he lives in NH), and then just giving it to me.  However, I don't want to screw myself over a 100+ dollars.  I don't even do my own taxes, I'm 21 and my a friend of the family just takes care of everything so that's not really my strong point.  I'll look into further, or if you're pretty certain about this let me know. Thanks a lot.

Karl Pilkington

• Only Ricky and Steve know my secret identity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: May 16, 2006, 02:54:09 PM »

Hey, I'm not very certain about this. How sure are you? Sure I wouldn't want to start off like this, but they way I look at it, it'd really be my friend buying the laptop under his name (he lives in NH), and then just giving it to me.  However, I don't want to screw myself over a 100+ dollars.  I don't even do my own taxes, I'm 21 and my a friend of the family just takes care of everything so that's not really my strong point.  I'll look into further, or if you're pretty certain about this let me know. Thanks a lot.

I'm not an expert, but I'm pretty sure that you are required to. Here's some more info: http://www.tax.state.ri.us/info/whats.pdf

The chances of you getting caught for not reporting it are very, very small. Still, if you want to live up to your legal obligations, you'll have to pay the tax eventually. Also, are you paying your friend for this laptop, or is he really just giving it to you? If you're giving him a "gift" of $1800 dollars and receiving a "gift" of a laptop at the same time, I don't think that counts.  ;)

OingoBoingo

• Simply the best band from the 80's
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: May 16, 2006, 02:56:57 PM »
Oingo,
Do you have the hard drive clicking problems with your X41 tablet?  If so, how loud is it?

Yes, I do. We have a semi-quiet office here and I can notice the ticking over our HVAC system. Once there is a few people talking it is harder to lock into. It doesn't bother me although I realize that for some it can and does drive them crazy. I have a Dell 600m that I use for a work project that emits audible clicks and whirs too - doesn't bother me either.

Oingo

M DOT

« Reply #195 on: May 17, 2006, 09:32:58 AM »
for thinkpads, does any know if the "advanced mini dock" has a moniter connection/port? i was looking atthe description and didnt see it mentioned but the regular mini dock does.

also for ppl who will be using a docking station are you finding good deals on flat screen moniters anywhere? the best i've found has been $200 for a 17 inch, for a dell.

one more thing, for those of you who have purchased thinkpads how's there customer service?

krumanadi

« Reply #196 on: May 17, 2006, 09:39:38 AM »
for thinkpads, does any know if the "advanced mini dock" has a moniter connection/port? i was looking atthe description and didnt see it mentioned but the regular mini dock does.

also for ppl who will be using a docking station are you finding good deals on flat screen moniters anywhere? the best i've found has been $200 for a 17 inch, for a dell.

one more thing, for those of you who have purchased thinkpads how's there customer service?

I dont know about the ports, but I would assume that one of the main reasons for using a port is to hook up a monitor, so I would assume it has one..

IBM customer service is considered to be very good, if not one of the best for laptops.

Also, if you search around, you can find 19" flat panels for like 220..

« Reply #197 on: May 17, 2006, 04:57:44 PM »
There's a new anniversary sale at Lenovo.

Highlights:

T60 for $949
Z60 for $849

Even hotter than the earlier anniversary sale, imo.

« Reply #198 on: May 19, 2006, 09:44:30 AM »
What's the difference between the 6 cell and 9 cell batteries on Dells?  Is the 6 cell sufficient for law school?

M DOT

« Reply #199 on: May 19, 2006, 09:18:21 PM »
does 6 cell mean 6 hours?

and am i correct in assuming that a duo core processor is the way to go for a thinkpad T60? ie, the machine will be cooler and faster?

oh one more thing, does anyone know what differentiates a T60 & t60s?