Law School Discussion

laptop

Re: laptop
« Reply #150 on: May 13, 2006, 10:37:58 PM »
These days I'm leaning toward a Dell Latitude D620.  With my school's EPP program, I can get a three year warranty and the specs I want for about $1500.  Now, I know there are lots of Dell coupons out there-- even some that work with the EPP program-- but I haven't seen anything for the Latitude line.  Do these things ever go on sale?

I hope they do sometime soon.  I'm looking at the D820.  :)

Quick question...could someone explain the main differences between XP professional and Home Edition to me and a recommendation of which I should get (been a Mac user my whole life) ?

Get regular, it's almost for sure not worth the extra money for what you're going to.  Seems like it's been getting cheaper, but as a student I doubt you'll even notice the difference at all...

Ever

« Reply #151 on: May 13, 2006, 11:08:00 PM »
Near as I can tell there is zero difference. Pro may be slightly more stable when gaming on the net and surfing the web (any time there is heavy net traffic) but it isn't worth the extra $$ unless you just want it.

That said I have pro on all of my comps and have only used home on a few laptops.

« Reply #152 on: May 13, 2006, 11:28:32 PM »
I won't be doing much gaming so I'm thinking the home version will work just fine.  The extra security would be nice but if its not really worth the money then forget it.

Well another question now for those of you familiar with Dells.  I'm looking at the Inspiron E1501 and the Latitude D820.  Are there any significant reasons why you would choose one over the other?

Ever

« Reply #153 on: May 14, 2006, 12:05:30 AM »
I would say that for our purposes go which ever is cheaper. Latitude, I think, is supposed to be the more flexible within a business sense. Based on what I am reading a Latitude’s hardware is easily upgraded while Inspiron focuses on newer technology at a lower price and is not as easy to upgrade.

« Reply #154 on: May 14, 2006, 12:12:03 AM »
I won't be doing much gaming so I'm thinking the home version will work just fine.  The extra security would be nice but if its not really worth the money then forget it.

Well another question now for those of you familiar with Dells.  I'm looking at the Inspiron E1501 and the Latitude D820.  Are there any significant reasons why you would choose one over the other?

I personally got the E1405 because it was cheaper, I don't think I'll do any upgrading at all since the specs were way overkill for just basic browsing and note-typing.

SplitFinger

• I'm a real pretend lawyer now!
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: May 14, 2006, 11:48:37 AM »
Every school I've looked at requires XP Pro, for the reasons given above.  Check what your school(s) require, but I'd bet money they'll tell you that you need Pro.

« Reply #156 on: May 14, 2006, 02:36:56 PM »
These days I'm leaning toward a Dell Latitude D620.  With my school's EPP program, I can get a three year warranty and the specs I want for about $1500.  Now, I know there are lots of Dell coupons out there-- even some that work with the EPP program-- but I haven't seen anything for the Latitude line.  Do these things ever go on sale?

I hope they do sometime soon.  I'm looking at the D820.  :)

Quick question...could someone explain the main differences between XP professional and Home Edition to me and a recommendation of which I should get? (been a Mac user my whole life)

The most relevant differences between Home and Pro:
1) Netowrking: Home limits the number of network connections to five at any given time while Pro does not.
2) Security: Pro requires a password to login while Home does not.

Many law schools would require pro as you'll need to be on the network and you may have to log into a domain.  This would require Pro.  I would get pro every time.

Most schools require Pro??  Damn I didn't know this, I may be screwed, they didn't even offer Pro as one of the options.  I'm gonna have to call my school and find out, thanks for the heads up.

Ever

« Reply #157 on: May 14, 2006, 06:23:16 PM »

Most schools require Pro??  Damn I didn't know this, I may be screwed, they didn't even offer Pro as one of the options.  I'm gonna have to call my school and find out, thanks for the heads up.

A lot of schools will have a student deal with Microsoft that will allow you to purchase Pro and MS Office for around $5-$15 each. Check and see if your Undergrad has the option or if your law school does. I know all of the state schools in Texas have the deal along with some of the community colleges.

« Reply #158 on: May 14, 2006, 08:21:59 PM »

A lot of schools will have a student deal with Microsoft that will allow you to purchase Pro and MS Office for around $5-$15 each. Check and see if your Undergrad has the option or if your law school does. I know all of the state schools in Texas have the deal along with some of the community colleges.

It's more like $20, but I still wish I knew about it when I ordered the laptop.  I'll call my school and figure it out though.

SantiV

« Reply #159 on: May 15, 2006, 08:44:55 AM »
question everyone.  I'm planning on getting the X60 with EPP discount.  Is it all right if I have it mailed to a friend's house to avoid taxes (he lives in New Hampshire).  Thanks for the help. Can't wait to get it.