Law School Discussion

laptop

Re: laptop
« Reply #140 on: May 12, 2006, 09:59:35 AM »
hmmmm a titanium one  :D  no um it has 1 GIG RAM, 80GIG HD, 1.73GHZ...yea i don't remember the rest but i had priced a T-something with core duo and it was only a bit more but i wanted the widescreen of the z series. 

We're now computer twins! ;D
nice!  ;D

i can't wait to get the widescreen....my home laptop is a 12 inch powerbook and it is far too small for anything but web surfing...gives me headaches sometimes. 

Karl Pilkington

• Only Ricky and Steve know my secret identity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: May 12, 2006, 10:40:21 AM »
Nice laptop, Karl. Where does the ultrabay battery go?

You swap it out for the optical drive. Since I won't be using the optical drive most of the time while I'm at school, I'll be leaving it at home for occasional backups, installations, and movies during plane flights.

« Reply #142 on: May 12, 2006, 10:42:13 AM »
I saw a few people in here mention Dell's D620.  My employer just picked one up for me, and so far I'm very impressed with it.  It's very sturdy, the keyboard's nice, and the battery life seems to be very good so far.  I opted for the 6 cell battery plus a "media bay" battery that can replace the DVD drive.  Having owned Inspirons before, this one is built significantly better.  Even the windows install is nicer -- there's absolutely none of the clutter that comes with the consumer lines, like AOL, MSN, etc.

As for warranties, I'd cheaped out on my last laptop.  It lasted about 2.5 years, but that was after I spent about $200 to keep it going.  The hard drive flaked out, a fan started going bad, and I replaced the keyboard.  Given that, it seems like the warranty would've been worth the extra up-front cost, and I'll definitely be getting one for my fiance's lawschool laptop

« Reply #143 on: May 12, 2006, 11:23:02 AM »
What size screen is everyone getting?  I kind of want the 15.4'', but I'm wondering if it'll be too heavy so I may get the 14''.

Karl Pilkington

• Only Ricky and Steve know my secret identity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: May 12, 2006, 11:46:43 AM »
Wow man that's a great deal.  I configured one with a 2.0 GHz, 1.5 GB of RAM, 100GB HD, X1400, and 9 cell battery for just over $2,000 with this anniversary sale pricing.  $600 more for minor step ups...

How did you get the EPP discount?  Did you actually know someone or did you just get on a forum and ask for logons?  Oh and what warranty did you get on it for that price?

I know someone at IBM. I got the 3 year next day onsite warranty.

krumanadi

« Reply #145 on: May 12, 2006, 12:05:37 PM »
It's funny.. I am happy with the z60t that I got, but I definitly would like that duo core.. Not worth all that extra money though, so I dont think I'll cancel my order...  Anyone know if they upgraded the screen on the new z60t?

« Reply #146 on: May 12, 2006, 12:51:19 PM »
It's funny.. I am happy with the z60t that I got, but I definitly would like that duo core.. Not worth all that extra money though, so I dont think I'll cancel my order...  Anyone know if they upgraded the screen on the new z60t?
i had the same thought.  no idea about the screen but i think i'm going to be v happy with the z60t.

« Reply #147 on: May 12, 2006, 12:54:06 PM »
I *was* going to get an X series tablet, but now I'm thinking the X60 instead.  I like the tablet idea but I think I like $500 less even more.  :P

Tiwaz

• View Profile
« Reply #148 on: May 13, 2006, 09:38:25 AM »
These days I'm leaning toward a Dell Latitude D620.  With my school's EPP program, I can get a three year warranty and the specs I want for about $1500.  Now, I know there are lots of Dell coupons out there-- even some that work with the EPP program-- but I haven't seen anything for the Latitude line.  Do these things ever go on sale?

« Reply #149 on: May 13, 2006, 10:16:06 PM »
These days I'm leaning toward a Dell Latitude D620.  With my school's EPP program, I can get a three year warranty and the specs I want for about $1500.  Now, I know there are lots of Dell coupons out there-- even some that work with the EPP program-- but I haven't seen anything for the Latitude line.  Do these things ever go on sale?

I hope they do sometime soon.  I'm looking at the D820.  :)

Quick question...could someone explain the main differences between XP professional and Home Edition to me and a recommendation of which I should get? (been a Mac user my whole life)