Law School Discussion

laptop

crazy8

Re: laptop
« Reply #620 on: July 17, 2006, 06:14:25 PM »
it does indeed
im waiting to see if the employee discount will be better than my school's, soon though
never knew it, the down side of huge threads

ok.  thanks, i've been holding it down in here with them for a min.  ;)

:o mine uses Dell and Gateway  >:( :(

yea, well you know I lack any technical knowledge, and the folks have been very helpful and insightful (thx to all).  Have you purchased a cp yet?

ha ha, I'm searching online now using my friend's employee discount.  If cheaper, it's my sister's Harvard alum discount :D Does your school discount thinkpads?

law123

• View Profile
« Reply #621 on: July 17, 2006, 07:36:36 PM »
What is the point of the fingerprint reader and how do you get the ful benefits of it?

M DOT

« Reply #622 on: July 17, 2006, 07:40:36 PM »
security!!!!!!!

and imagine nevr having to remember another password for your computer

What is the point of the fingerprint reader and how do you get the ful benefits of it?

Typhoon Longwang

• I have the power to stop an LSAT!
    • View Profile
« Reply #623 on: July 17, 2006, 07:41:11 PM »
It can log you into...
-The Computer
-The Harddrive
-The BIOS
-Windows
...instead of using a password.  If you set things up right, the computer could be useless for anyone without your fingerprint.

and I've heard you can use it inside IE and Firefox with some playing around/extensions.

Law2k6

• U.Va. Law, J.D. 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #624 on: July 17, 2006, 08:57:44 PM »
It can log you into...
-The Computer
-The Harddrive
-The BIOS
-Windows
...instead of using a password.  If you set things up right, the computer could be useless for anyone without your fingerprint.

and I've heard you can use it inside IE and Firefox with some playing around/extensions.

I got it on my D820. It's pretty cool. It's more cool than useful, probably, but it's quicker than typing in your password and more secure than typing your password in front of the guy sitting next to you in class every day. (Not that it's likely an issue, but still...) Anyway, it's fun!  ;D  ... My only complaint is that it doesn't have a cool animation to go along with it that scans the print and displays something like "Identity Confirmed! Welcome Law2k6!" :P

Officer Rod Farva

• FARVA #1
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #625 on: July 17, 2006, 09:24:06 PM »
what size hardrive?
finally ordered my x60s today. came in just around $2,000 w/2 gigs of RAM, docking station, bluetooth, and the completely necessary fingerprint reader. I'm like James Bond, except uglier, and less adept and hand-to-hand combat.

I ordered the 40 gig one. I plan on replacing it with a 80 gig 7200 rpm drive. Look how easy it is: http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/document.do?lndocid=MIGR-62795

whoisjohngalt

• "I go to Cornell... ever heard of it?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #626 on: July 17, 2006, 10:42:34 PM »
what size hardrive?
finally ordered my x60s today. came in just around $2,000 w/2 gigs of RAM, docking station, bluetooth, and the completely necessary fingerprint reader. I'm like James Bond, except uglier, and less adept and hand-to-hand combat.

I ordered the 40 gig one. I plan on replacing it with a 80 gig 7200 rpm drive. Look how easy it is: http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/document.do?lndocid=MIGR-62795

How did you get your x60s so cheap!?!

whoisjohngalt

• "I go to Cornell... ever heard of it?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #627 on: July 17, 2006, 10:51:15 PM »
This is probably really stupid, but the Lenovo website is confusing me about warranty.

When you go to customize the product, there is a section for warranty that includes "Warranty Service Upgrades," "Extended Service Contracts," and "Protection Services."

Under "Protection Services," you can choose "3 Year Thinkpad Protection with 3 year IOR 9x5 NBD."  If you select this service, do you also need to select the 3 year IOR in the "Warranty Service Upgrades" section, or is it saying that the Thinkpad protection INCLUDES the IOR? 

Just thought it was a little confusing...

« Reply #628 on: July 17, 2006, 11:03:36 PM »
I just got a Dell Inspiron 1505 with a dualcore 2300 processor, 80 MB of memory - I am pretty stoked on it and it surpasses the basic requirements for my school

Officer Rod Farva

• FARVA #1
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #629 on: July 18, 2006, 12:51:15 AM »
This is probably really stupid, but the Lenovo website is confusing me about warranty.

When you go to customize the product, there is a section for warranty that includes "Warranty Service Upgrades," "Extended Service Contracts," and "Protection Services."

Under "Protection Services," you can choose "3 Year Thinkpad Protection with 3 year IOR 9x5 NBD."  If you select this service, do you also need to select the 3 year IOR in the "Warranty Service Upgrades" section, or is it saying that the Thinkpad protection INCLUDES the IOR? 

Just thought it was a little confusing...

I talked to customer support about this, and they said it was basically a goof on their end. One of those is meant for businesses, and the other one is meant for personal use. I can't remember which is which, unfortunately.

Regarding your question about pricing on the X60, I beat an EPP out of an IBM employee.  ;D