Law School Discussion

laptop

Typhoon Longwang

• I have the power to stop an LSAT!
    • View Profile
Re: laptop
« Reply #600 on: July 16, 2006, 07:05:47 PM »
Stupid Question,

At risk of (again) taking us off topic, what is the easiest way to backup pretty much everything in Microsoft Outlook? (Appointments, Contacts, Calendar, Journal). What would need to be done to restore these items?

Reason why I ask is I am not buying an external HD. Rather I am going to backup weekly onto a 1 gig SD card my Onenote and Outlook critical files and then image my HD (using IBM's software) monthly.

Any ideas?

Oingo

The easiest way would be to backup the following folder:

C:\Documents and Settings\{INSERT USERNAME HERE}\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook

and you may also want backup these folders as well:

C:\Documents and Settings\{INSERT USERNAME HERE}\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook

C:\Documents and Settings\{INSERT USERNAME HERE}\Application Data\Microsoft\Office

I could be wrong, but I'm 99% sure that's where the current Outlook data are stored, however I'm running 2000 on the current machine so the folder locations could be different for newer versions of Outlook.  There could also be Outlook data stored in other locations - MS can be fairly brain dead when it relates to centrally locating information for backup purposes.  If Outlook is set to archive your information every so many days, the archive data may be stored in another location...I'm not 100% sure as when I've used Outlook I shut off the auto-archive feature. 

You can also import/export to a file under the Outlook "File" menu option and then store that file.  You could also set Outlook to auto archive (I believe under "Tools" -> "Options" -> "Other" tab) to a location of your choice every X number of days (I believe you can tell it to not delete the information stored in Outlook when it archives) and you could then backup the file created in that location.

No matter what you do, I would recommend that when dealing with Outlook files that you store multiple backups...in other words, don't just have one file that you rely on to be your only source of recovery.  If the DB gets corrupted on your backup you're just as hosed but if you can fall back to an older date, hopefully you'll be ok.

Law2k6

• U.Va. Law, J.D. 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #601 on: July 16, 2006, 08:01:42 PM »
On the topic of backing up Outlook:

The previous posters gave good info about how to back up Outlook data. Another option I would highly commend to you is Plaxo (http://www.plaxo.com). It is a free service that lets you sync your Contacts, Notes, Calendar, and Tasks. It keeps an always-up-to-date copy on the secure website which you can access from anywhere and also will sync with your local copy of Outlook. This has been great for me because I use Outlook on my laptop, my desktop, and my work computer. It lets me keep my contacts and calendars up to date so that no matter what computer I use I always have the current info. This can also be a great way to backup in that after you install on a new computer or re-install on your old computer you can simply sync up with the Plaxo service and you instantly have all your info. ... Note that it does not sync your e-mail or your journal.

cesco

• View Profile
« Reply #602 on: July 16, 2006, 09:04:01 PM »
FYI....
I posted this on the 'girls/laptop bag' thread, but for those of you that do not read that thread....

----------------
Someone, somewhere on this board recommended www.sfbags.com for laptop sleeves.
I ordered one and just received it - it is GREAT!!  It is not too bulky and they customize them to the size of your laptop.  I got one w/o a flap or strap and it is perfect for me (a minimalist).

OingoBoingo

• Simply the best band from the 80's
    • View Profile
« Reply #603 on: July 16, 2006, 09:13:09 PM »

The previous posters gave good info about how to back up Outlook data. Another option I would highly commend to you is Plaxo (http://www.plaxo.com). It is a free service that lets you sync your Contacts, Notes, Calendar, and Tasks. It keeps an always-up-to-date copy on the secure website which you can access from anywhere and also will sync with your local copy of Outlook. This has been great for me because I use Outlook on my laptop, my desktop, and my work computer. It lets me keep my contacts and calendars up to date so that no matter what computer I use I always have the current info. This can also be a great way to backup in that after you install on a new computer or re-install on your old computer you can simply sync up with the Plaxo service and you instantly have all your info. ... Note that it does not sync your e-mail or your journal.

How much is this service? I have a buddy that uses it. I am not so much concerned about my emails becuase they can be retreived from the server (I do not allow outlook to auto-delete these files). Plaxo may be the winner here.

Thanks man!

Oingo

Law2k6

• U.Va. Law, J.D. 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #604 on: July 16, 2006, 09:19:11 PM »

How much is this service? I have a buddy that uses it. I am not so much concerned about my emails becuase they can be retreived from the server (I do not allow outlook to auto-delete these files). Plaxo may be the winner here.

Thanks man!

Oingo

Free! :)

Someone, somewhere on this board recommended www.sfbags.com for laptop sleeves.
I ordered one and just received it - it is GREAT!!  It is not too bulky and they customize them to the size of your laptop.  I got one w/o a flap or strap and it is perfect for me (a minimalist).

Regarding bags, on the other end of the spectrum, I saw this option posted here a while back: http://www.tombihn.com/page/001/PROD/300/TB0104

bass

• Retired
    • View Profile
« Reply #605 on: July 17, 2006, 04:15:24 AM »
Also I bought this one for $40 on sale at Best Buy:

http://www.targus.com/us/product_details.asp?sku=TSB034US

It has a lot of great storage, and it's well-crafted overall.  Targus has many nice options.

GreyStreet

« Reply #606 on: July 17, 2006, 03:15:23 PM »
So I am finally ready to buy a laptop!  Two weeks ago I was ready to buy an Apple, but I have since found that there may be a dependability question in a law school setting (esp. w/ BootCamp), which is a risk I am not willing to take.  Money is not an issue with this purchase as this is a graduation gift, however I would feel uncomfortable spending near $3,000 on any given machine (for example: T60p). With my discount, I can get the ThinkPad listed below for around $1,700;,which is more than $600 less than retail.  Can anybody see any problems with these specs?  Would this machine potentially be Vista ready?  I am not a tech expert by any means, so I have formulated this decision based on various school websites and this thread.  Is anything overkill or is anything lacking in this machine?  Feel free to P.M. me or respond if you have any advice.  Thanks.

Lenovo IBM Thinkpad T60 1GB Ram 1.83GHz 80GB 2613-EJU

Specifications:
Processor: Intel Core Duo processor T2400 (1.83GHz)
Memory (RAM): 1GB
Hard drive   : 80GB
Display: 15" TFT display (SXGA 1400x1050) - LCD
Graphics: 128MB ATI Radeon X1400
CD and DVD drive: CDRW/DVDR Multi-Burner drives
Networking: Intel 802.11abg wireless, ThinkPad 802.11abg, Bluetooth
Security: Fingerprint reader and Security chip
Battery:  Lithium Ion 9 cell
Operating System:  Microsoft Windows XP Pro

M DOT

« Reply #607 on: July 17, 2006, 03:17:16 PM »
grey street, did you have to customize the machine before finding out how much the friends and family discount would be or is it a set percentage off?

great choice btw

« Reply #608 on: July 17, 2006, 03:44:09 PM »
GreyStreet, the computer looks good, but I am not sure you'd need a 128MB graphics card for a laptop unless you plan on doing any sort of graphics editing or gaming.

GreyStreet

« Reply #609 on: July 17, 2006, 04:39:23 PM »
GreyStreet, the computer looks good, but I am not sure you'd need a 128MB graphics card for a laptop unless you plan on doing any sort of graphics editing or gaming.

thanks all!