Law School Discussion

laptop

Yale College Inferno

• New daily nonstop to Hell
    • View Profile
Re: laptop
« Reply #580 on: July 16, 2006, 07:18:17 AM »
When Lenovo says "Customer Carry-in Repair" is that the same as depot repair?  Does it mean I have to pay for shipping costs or does Lenovo just send me a pre-paid box?

Thanks in advance.  I tried to find the answer on the Lenovo website and googling but no luck (probably b/c it's so obvious and I'm clueless).  :)

It means you have to carry the laptop to the Lenovo center yourself.

Law2k6

• U.Va. Law, J.D. 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #581 on: July 16, 2006, 07:19:39 AM »
When Lenovo says "Customer Carry-in Repair" is that the same as depot repair?  Does it mean I have to pay for shipping costs or does Lenovo just send me a pre-paid box?

Thanks in advance.  I tried to find the answer on the Lenovo website and googling but no luck (probably b/c it's so obvious and I'm clueless).  :)

I hope you have good shoes...China is a long walk. :P

« Reply #582 on: July 16, 2006, 07:57:05 AM »

I hope you have good shoes...China is a long walk. :P

I'll relive the cartoons of childhood and dig a tunnel all the way to China.

« Reply #583 on: July 16, 2006, 09:15:06 AM »
If you want to run VISTA, then i would recommend getting a video card upgrade if you have the option. It  is one of those options on a laptop that can NEVER be upgraded...

Typhoon Longwang

• I have the power to stop an LSAT!
    • View Profile
« Reply #584 on: July 16, 2006, 09:21:22 AM »
If you want to run VISTA, then i would recommend getting a video card upgrade if you have the option. It  is one of those options on a laptop that can NEVER be upgraded...

Another reason to get the graphics card is that it might improve the resale value slightly.  You'd be buying the top end of the T series anyways with the 15" screen...you might as well pay the extra $100 or whatever it is with a student discount for the difference in the machines.

whoisjohngalt

• "I go to Cornell... ever heard of it?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #585 on: July 16, 2006, 11:13:35 AM »

You would have to be an absolute moron to upgrade to VISTA on a laptop.  CNET has a well-documented effort at running at VISTA and couldn't even get over 2hrs on the machine.  It's a hog that doesn't offer any tangible benefits to XP.

OingoBoingo

• Simply the best band from the 80's
    • View Profile
« Reply #586 on: July 16, 2006, 01:29:43 PM »

You would have to be an absolute moron to upgrade to VISTA on a laptop.  CNET has a well-documented effort at running at VISTA and couldn't even get over 2hrs on the machine.  It's a hog that doesn't offer any tangible benefits to XP.

Ya but, they did say that they were using an unoptimised version of Vista. Look for a defenite improvment when the final code ships.

Oingo

« Reply #587 on: July 16, 2006, 02:14:37 PM »

This doesn't change the fact that the graphics card is often the most crappy part on any given laptop, so it would be wise to change that while you can (before you buy). 

And, as has been pointed out, Vista may not run well now, but who knows what service packs/updates will do to improve its performance.  Anyway, some people may want to dual boot, or just experiment with it. 

« Reply #588 on: July 16, 2006, 02:43:27 PM »
It's important to remember that if you don't do any gaming, the added battery life from the integrated graphics is more beneficial than the added performance from a discrete graphics card.

M DOT

« Reply #589 on: July 16, 2006, 02:47:14 PM »
does anyone know if you can add the employee discount to a thinkpad purchased through your school? also about how much is the employee discount or does it depend on the machine?