Law School Discussion

laptop

Re: laptop
« Reply #490 on: June 26, 2006, 10:27:10 AM »
got it. i read about the docking station in PC world's review of the x-series this past spring and that confused me as well. Does that mean i will have to take the docking station to school with me everyday, or just to view dvds? i apologize for my ignorance, just looking for some answers.

no, not unless you need to read from a dvd or cd every day at school, and yes, you need it to view dvds.  in other words, if you don't have the dock around, you won't be able to read a dvd or cd.  of course, there are ways around that, but i'm leaving that out for the sake of simplicity.  

i would say it's more than just "paying for portability".  i chose my T60 over the x series only because i wanted a bigger screen.  i've worked with 12 inch screens, and i discovered it wasn't for me.  

rajkp

« Reply #491 on: June 26, 2006, 12:48:01 PM »
Just in case your considering a Mac, check out these sites:

http://www.appledefects.com
and
http://www.appledefects.com/wiki/index.php?title=MacBook_Pro

« Reply #492 on: June 26, 2006, 03:06:22 PM »
This may be a dumb question, but I'll ask anyways.  I just got my Dell laptop and while I'm supposed to have a 60 GB hard drive the C drive has 37.5 and the D only 12.5.  What happened to the other 10 GB of space I'm supposed to have?

« Reply #493 on: June 26, 2006, 03:14:12 PM »
This may be a dumb question, but I'll ask anyways.  I just got my Dell laptop and while I'm supposed to have a 60 GB hard drive the C drive has 37.5 and the D only 12.5.  What happened to the other 10 GB of space I'm supposed to have?

I believe there are 2 forces at work here:

1. Dell has a hidden restore partition that has all the software you need to recover your system in the case of failure. That takes up about 6 gigs (?)

2. Hard drive manufacturers treat 1 GB as 1,000,000,000 (1 billion) bytes, but Windows treat 1GB as 2^30 = 1,073,741,824. So upon formatting, a nominal 60 GB drive is treated as a 55.9 GB drive by Windows.

« Reply #494 on: June 26, 2006, 08:50:00 PM »
Thanks, you guys were correct.  I have another question though.

I erased the XP Home Edition that my Dell came with and installed XP Profession which is required at my school.  The problem I'm having now though is that I can't connect to the router in our house.  With the Home Edition, Windows would just automatically pick up the internet connect and connect via the wireless card, but it doesn't do that with Professional.  Anyone know how I can connect to the internet?

rajkp

« Reply #495 on: June 26, 2006, 10:46:20 PM »
Pro should do the same thing without requing any additional configuration if you're using SP1 or SP2. SP2 definitely doesn't have a problem with Wireless even with clean installs.

You may be missing a driver or just have Wireless turned off. Go to Network connections and see if the Wireless connection (and/or card) is listed. If it listed, make sure to enable it and try to configure it. You should get the Wireless Connection Wizard.

If it's not listed, then you may need to install the driver for the wireless card off of your recovery disk.

Yale College Inferno

• New daily nonstop to Hell
    • View Profile
« Reply #496 on: June 27, 2006, 01:13:23 AM »
Thanks, you guys were correct.  I have another question though.

I erased the XP Home Edition that my Dell came with and installed XP Profession which is required at my school.  The problem I'm having now though is that I can't connect to the router in our house.  With the Home Edition, Windows would just automatically pick up the internet connect and connect via the wireless card, but it doesn't do that with Professional.  Anyone know how I can connect to the internet?

There should be a little wireless icon in the bottom right corner of the screen, which you can click and then select a network to connect to. The network name should be whatever your home router is set to broadcast as a name.

« Reply #497 on: June 27, 2006, 04:22:13 AM »
Hello,

I was reading the many pages of this thread and was exploring the different deal sites listed around Page 6. I actually was trying to use one of the coupons for Dell on a e1405 and it just doesn't work. It shows it listed but tells me to look at details as to why it may not have been applied. Has anyone successfully used one of these coupons before. This was the 30% off coupon for a e1505 or e1405? Or does anyone know of any other really good deals going on that I may have missed. I am looking to buy in the next week or two.

TIA

SouthSide

• Full speed ahead.
    • View Profile
« Reply #498 on: June 27, 2006, 04:33:34 AM »
Haven't read this thread at all. But what's the best laptop if all I really do is email, basic web-surfing, and word processing, and the most important things I care about are light-weight and long battery life?

« Reply #499 on: June 27, 2006, 07:33:21 AM »
Haven't read this thread at all. But what's the best laptop if all I really do is email, basic web-surfing, and word processing, and the most important things I care about are light-weight and long battery life?

I'd start by reading this thread.  You'll likely find some answers.