laptop

Re: laptop
« Reply #120 on: May 10, 2006, 11:28:30 PM »
this post was written from my new x60.

Ever

« Reply #121 on: May 10, 2006, 11:30:42 PM »

Congrats! What do you think of it so far?

« Reply #122 on: May 10, 2006, 11:48:01 PM »

I've actually had it for about a week already and I can't think of anything I would change about it.  The battery really does last for around 8 hours.  It weighs next to nothing.  IBM actually provides a lot of useful features that i didn't even know to want.  there's a cool hard drive protection utility, a rescue and recovery system, a lot of security features, and a lot of other stuff in their "thinkvantage" utility that makes owning and customizing the computer easier.  it goes in and out of standby very quickly, which i expect to be useful in getting in and out of class without waiting forever for it to shutdown.  it feels sturdy.

i guess the concerns that most people have about an ultraportable would be screen size and keyboard size.  Neither are issues, for me at least.  The keyboard is perfect and actually feels nicer than my old, bigger dell.  I've tested myself on a touch typing program, and i'm no slower or less accurate than on my desktop.  also, screen size is fine.  I actually feel sometimes like I could have gone even smaller. 

i guess everyone is biased towards their own situation, so i'll just say that i'm happy with my purchase and that i think it was a good decision for me.  if ou have any questons i'd be happy to answer them.

Ever

« Reply #123 on: May 11, 2006, 12:12:25 AM »
Nice. Did you custamize it or go with a base model?

How much RAM do you have?

OingoBoingo

• Simply the best band from the 80's
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: May 11, 2006, 07:31:20 AM »

I've actually had it for about a week already and I can't think of anything I would change about it.  The battery really does last for around 8 hours.  It weighs next to nothing.  IBM actually provides a lot of useful features that i didn't even know to want.  there's a cool hard drive protection utility, a rescue and recovery system, a lot of security features, and a lot of other stuff in their "thinkvantage" utility that makes owning and customizing the computer easier.  it goes in and out of standby very quickly, which i expect to be useful in getting in and out of class without waiting forever for it to shutdown.  it feels sturdy.

i guess the concerns that most people have about an ultraportable would be screen size and keyboard size.  Neither are issues, for me at least.  The keyboard is perfect and actually feels nicer than my old, bigger dell.  I've tested myself on a touch typing program, and i'm no slower or less accurate than on my desktop.  also, screen size is fine.  I actually feel sometimes like I could have gone even smaller. 

i guess everyone is biased towards their own situation, so i'll just say that i'm happy with my purchase and that i think it was a good decision for me.  if ou have any questons i'd be happy to answer them.

Orlando,

How are the bootup times? With my X41 tablet I had to wait nearly 3 minutes during a cold boot before I got rid of a few things (like IBM Access Connections). Right now I am at about 90 secs but there are days where I wish it were much quicker.

Oingo

SplitFinger

• I'm a real pretend lawyer now!
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: May 11, 2006, 08:03:59 PM »
My T60 ThinkPad was delivered today, just 12 days after I ordered it (the web site said it would take 3-6 weeks before it shipped).  :)  :)  :)

Ever

« Reply #126 on: May 11, 2006, 08:48:29 PM »
My T60 ThinkPad was delivered today, just 12 days after I ordered it (the web site said it would take 3-6 weeks before it shipped).  :)  :)  :)

what do you think of it? I'm gonna need to decide before monday  :-\

SplitFinger

• I'm a real pretend lawyer now!
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: May 11, 2006, 09:04:48 PM »
I think I wish I had gotten it shipped straight to my house - I was worried that if it actually took the six weeks they told me it would, it might have arrived here just after we'd moved out of here.  So I had it sent to my in-laws', and I'll be getting it from them next weekend.  Sorry!

« Reply #128 on: May 11, 2006, 09:40:23 PM »
Dell E1405 $699+tax shipped

Ordered that one already, I figured it was a good size, and those are some real good specs too.

Officer Rod Farva

• FARVA #1
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #129 on: May 11, 2006, 10:08:56 PM »
I'm torn between the T60 and X60. The T60, fully decked out, is 100 percent Vista ready. I'm not sure why I care, but I do.