Law School Discussion

Visiting Urbana-Champaign

yiplong

• View Profile
Visiting Urbana-Champaign
« on: April 26, 2006, 08:03:37 AM »
I will be visiting Urbana Champaign the week on memorial day, planning on seeing the school itself and checking out some apartments and houses for sale.  How is the public transportation in Urbana Champaign?  If I fly there, can I expect to get around town without using a car?  If I absolutely need a car to move around, I might have to drive there from my home in NYC.  But with the fuel cost and time constrain, I am trying to avoid that. 

New Man

• Sunshines through my window
    • View Profile
Re: Visiting Urbana-Champaign
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2006, 08:26:52 AM »
why not rent a car there?

yiplong

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2006, 08:34:07 AM »
car rental is very expensive for people under the age of 25 and without an auto insurance policy under their own name. But I will have to call enterprise to get exact quote. 

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2006, 08:46:24 AM »
Enterprise usually has low under-25 surcharges. When I rented from them, it was always $5/day.

You don't need personal auto insurance if you have a major credit card. Visa and MasterCard provides rental car insurance if you rent the car with one of these two cards.

HippieLawChick

• Current 2L
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2006, 09:03:51 AM »
Call the law school.  Maybe there is a current student who would be willing to take you around.

yiplong

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2006, 11:41:07 AM »
I called up a real estate agent, she is willing to take me around town and show me houses.  I guess that is settled then. 

p0six

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2006, 12:50:08 PM »
regardless the public transportion around C-U is pretty good.  Especially if you're going to be living relatively close to campus.

yiplong

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2006, 02:48:45 PM »
regardless the public transportion around C-U is pretty good.  Especially if you're going to be living relatively close to campus.

with my purchasing power, i don't think I can afford a house close enough to campus to enjoy their mass transit.  But that won't be a problem down the road because after living in NYC, I hate mass transit and prefer to go by car.  I wil probably be buying a cheap house on the edge of town to live for 3 years, hopefully with a roommate. 

« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2006, 09:29:31 AM »

with my purchasing power, i don't think I can afford a house close enough to campus to enjoy their mass transit.  But that won't be a problem down the road because after living in NYC, I hate mass transit and prefer to go by car.  I wil probably be buying a cheap house on the edge of town to live for 3 years, hopefully with a roommate. 

Yiplong, a few weeks ago you were favoring Iowa what changed your mind?  Also, housing is very cheap in UIUC.  Try Urbana its a little nicer area, you don't need a car if you're okay with walking, the free buses are really nice and have good range.

yiplong

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2006, 01:00:05 PM »
I decided on UIUC because UIUC agreed to increase my scholarship to $20k, which is substantially more than Iowa's $14k, granted that, Iowa with RA in 2L/3L can still be cheaper, I don't want to go there and end up not getting the RA, after all, RA is likely, but not guaranteed. (imagine the financial harm and disappointment!).
Another reason was that, UIUC places better than Iowa in Chicago.  Although I love small towns, I think I will be more comfortable working in a diverse city like Chicago than Des Moines or Omaha, where it is like 98% White.  There is nothing wrong with working in Small Town, Midwest, in fact I like of like that, but practically, I donít think it is fitting for me. 
That said, I think Iowa should offer a superior academic experience than UIUC and if you are deciding between these two with similar money, I think you should go to Iowa.