Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Another Can. v. U.S. Law Schools Topic  (Read 2813 times)

Toogie

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Another Can. v. U.S. Law Schools Topic
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2006, 01:36:39 PM »
I agree with the above posters. There isn't much difference in the quality of education you will get with ANY of the Canadian schools. If you aren't sure where you want to practice (Canada or the US) you should attend school in Canada. The process to take the bar in Canada with a U.S. JD can be tedious. You may have to take additional courses, sit for more tests and you'll still have to article once you transfer back. You're much better off staying here.

Good luck with your decision.

I was on a forum for LLM's (not the one on LSD) and one U.S lawyer was telling us about his experience getting authorized to practice lawin Canada. He said he had to take additional courses, take a certain amount of tests (for him it was 6 AND they were $500 dollars a pop) and he still had to article for a bit.

To the most recent poster, when we mention "any" Canadian law school is better than a tier 3/4, we're referring to the fact that, outside of the regional market from which the school is located, the degree will still be seen as better. I can pretty much guarantee you that a degree from Manitoba will have a better chance in the Ontario market than say a degree from William Mitchell will have a chance in the California or New York market. Obviously though there is more opportunity in the Twin Cities than Manitoba. 

Oh and signing your name in a forum ftl.

OingoBoingo

• Sr. Citizen
  • Simply the best band from the 80's
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2006, 02:37:51 PM »
I agree with the above posters. There isn't much difference in the quality of education you will get with ANY of the Canadian schools. If you aren't sure where you want to practice (Canada or the US) you should attend school in Canada. The process to take the bar in Canada with a U.S. JD can be tedious. You may have to take additional courses, sit for more tests and you'll still have to article once you transfer back. You're much better off staying here.

Good luck with your decision.

To the most recent poster, when we mention "any" Canadian law school is better than a tier 3/4, we're referring to the fact that, outside of the regional market from which the school is located, the degree will still be seen as better. I can pretty much guarantee you that a degree from Manitoba will have a better chance in the Ontario market than say a degree from William Mitchell will have a chance in the California or New York market. Obviously though there is more opportunity in the Twin Cities than Manitoba.  

I agree. When phrased this way the arguement makes perfect sense.

When phrased this way.....

Personally, I'd advise against going to a "TTT" in the US. They fail out a large % of the class to keep their bar passage rates up; the competition is brutal, the costs are high, employment prospects are local and awful.

It doesn't

Oingo
"It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man."

Toogie

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2006, 07:18:43 PM »
Stop signing your posts lol. >:[

Jeit

• Sr. Citizen
  • It is.
    • ICQ Messenger - 526149
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2006, 01:57:13 AM »
Thank you for this post! It's exactly what I've been thinking about. I have nearly the SAME GPA and LSAT prospects as you! The only difference is, I'm taking a year off to go sit and really think about my future.

Thanks again!

Melatonin

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2006, 02:05:38 PM »
I figure that a lot of people (including myself) are misguided about the process so it seemed like a good idea to fire this topic up.

Oingo: great post.  I agree.
It's a Good Life if you Don't Weaken

FossilJ

• LSD Obsessed
  • Carbon-date THIS, biznitch!
    • View Profile
    • Cricket Rules!
    • Email
« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2006, 11:01:27 PM »
BAFF

Oingo
Pish, J only wants to waste YOUR time.  Get wise.