Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: University of Maryland  (Read 872 times)

Huntre17

• View Profile
Re: University of Maryland
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2006, 02:23:43 PM »
Heya!  MD here as well.  I grew up in Baltimore and can't want to get out of Connecticut and go back.  It's a great city.  I've been reading a lot on the boards about how UMD doesn't place well in terms of jobs.  Is that true?  I know it's a top 50 school, so it sort of seems unlikely to me.

Any thoughts?

I've seen a lot of that discussed too and I've taken it with a grain of salt, because none of the people saying it seem to be from the area.  I have many friends who have gone to MD and haven't had trouble finding jobs in the city or in DC.  Plus, as far as jobs within Baltimore there are a fair number of law firms.  For me, it isn't a huge issue as I'm not planning on going the typical firm route at this point. 

dbk10

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2006, 04:05:01 PM »
Heya!  MD here as well.  I grew up in Baltimore and can't want to get out of Connecticut and go back.  It's a great city.  I've been reading a lot on the boards about how UMD doesn't place well in terms of jobs.  Is that true?  I know it's a top 50 school, so it sort of seems unlikely to me.

Any thoughts?

I know two recent grads who were unable to find jobs in DC.  Neither of them got the jobs that they wanted.  One stayed in Baltimore and the other went to Bethesda to be near DC.

kmatt

• AOL Instant Messenger - kebbo16
    • View Profile
    • Maryland Law Discussion Board
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2006, 04:56:19 PM »

Any thoughts?

Don't forget, it's also going to MAJORLY depend on how well you do in law school. Yes, if you do poorly at Maryland, you'll have trouble finding the job you really want, but if you do well, you'll be fine. Maryland wouldn't be ranked as high as it is if their career numbers were as low as people make them out to be. Just going to X law school does not mean you either are screwed or set up for life. Maryland is a quality school, and from the 3L I talked to on my visit, the problem with Career Services is that they don't simply do it for you. You have to actively search for your summer and career placement, which I guess is different than some other schools. But he said he didn't find that they placed any worse than anywhere else, just that you may have to be more active in the search for a job. People give Maryland crap about being in the "ghetto" too, and if you've visited, you'd know that that's not entirely accurate either. So don't believe everything you read or hear.
LSAT: 164, GPA: 3.5, UG: UNC-CH

In: Maryland, Emory, American, Wake
Out: Boston College
WL: Boston U., GW, Fordham, W&M, UNC

Attending: Maryland Law - Class of '09...FEAR THE TURTLE!!

bruinbro

• Sr. Citizen
  • B-Blitz
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2006, 12:07:53 PM »

Any thoughts?

My cousin went to Maryland and got job offers from Skadden in New York and Jenner and Block in DC, but she was top 10% of her class and went to Harvard undergrad. From what she says, the schools reputation has soared in the last five years: Placement is great in Baltimore BIGLAW, pretty good in DC, and okay in Philadelphia/NYC. Like some posters have said, a lot of it seems to depend on class rank.
In: Case Western ($$), IU-B ($$), USD ($$), Pitt ($$), Iowa, Wisconsin , George Mason ($), Loyola-LA ($$), UC-Davis, UIUC ($), American, Tulane ($$),GW
Out: Notre Dame,BC,WUSTL,Cornell,W&L