Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Rate the Washingtons  (Read 444 times)

Stuje1

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Law School Numbers Profile
    • Email
Rate the Washingtons
« on: April 25, 2006, 01:21:41 PM »
So there are five schools with "Washington" in their name.  I applied to 4 of them, and only got into one (waitlisted at the other three).  I saw the idea for this thread over on autoadmit (I was bored and shamefully ventured over there one night).  I decided to start it up here because the thread was several years old over there, and I thought there would be more intelligent responses here.

So, there are five Washington schools: University of Washington (Seattle), Washington University (St. Louis), George Washington, Washington and Lee and American University (Washington College of Law).   If asked just to rate them, most would probably follow the USNEWS rankings.  So, let's rank order them on different categories: 1) National Reputation 2) Location 3) Job Prospects 4) Student Atmosphere 5) Facilities 6) Overall

I'm curious as to what people think.  Feel free to add your own categories as well!
8) Boston College
;D Colorado $, Wisconsin, OSU $, Indiana $, Case $$, Tulane $$$, Davis, Iowa, Hastings, UWashington
:-\ GW, WUSTL, Emory, WashLee, BostonU, Ariz, Minnesota
>:( Gtown, Mich, Nwestern, UIUC, Berk

Westcoast1

• View Profile
Re: Rate the Washingtons
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2006, 10:01:17 PM »
I agree with the National Rep rankings and the location rankings by halfie. 

I would put UW and WUSTL on top for job prospects if you want to work near where you attended school.  They just dominate Seattle and St. Louis respectively.  Obviously GW does well, but you are competing with a lot of other schools for its market.  Considering atmosphere, obviously this is quite subjective.   I would pick UW because of its humane environment.  They have a kind curve, no listed GPA, and no quartiles.  All of this seems to lead to a rather uncompetitive atmosphere.  I mean it is still law school, but it could be a lot worse.

In terms of facilities I really like American and UW.  UW has a really nice new building thanks to Bill Gates.  Maybe the only draw back is it seems that undergrads use their library.  Good luck with your decision.  I would make a choice based largely on where you want to live.