Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: The official William and Mary Class of 2009 Thread (W&M)  (Read 13900 times)

philibusters

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: The official William and Mary Class of 2009 Thread (W&M)
« Reply #30 on: May 02, 2006, 12:59:31 PM »
I am sure rising 2L's would sell you their used books, but different profs assign different books, so you would need to make sure you are buying the right book for that class.  Lots of people do sell them back, but I am sure some keep them and would be willing to sell.  Even if you can't find rising 2L's to buy from I definitely recommend buying them online as first semester you will literally save hundreds (probably around 200 or 300 dollars just on the textbooks) that way and possibley more.  But if you do make sure you get the right edition, I bought my criminal law book online for $4 and got the 4th instead of the 5th edition, it turns out out of 90ish cases covered, the 4th edition was only missing two and I looked up the two missing cases on lexisnexus so it actually wasn't that bad.  Usually you can find a used version of the current edition of the textbook (match isbn numbers) for about $30 to $40 compared to the $120 the bookstore charges.  If you see it for four dollars or something like that be suscipious its the wrong edition, the one I bought online that was the wrong edition didn't specify the edition, year, or isbn, so I took my chances and lost, but like I said even that wasn't a big deal.
2008 graduate of William and Mary Law School

crainjd

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #31 on: May 02, 2006, 01:19:45 PM »
yea, I'm planning on looking around for places on the 14th.  Seems cheaper to live in James City County than to live in Williamsburg if you don't mind a 10 minute drive to campus.  Newport News is also a nother option but is a bit further away.
W&M Class of 2009

In: W&M, GWU, George Mason
Out: Georgetown, Dook
Waitlisted: UVA

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=crainjd

aerynn

• Sr. Citizen
  • Wait, what?
    • View Profile
    • http://lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=aerynn
    • Email
« Reply #32 on: May 02, 2006, 01:35:37 PM »
Yay I am officially done with undergrad!!! I was a communications major at Florida State and only decided a couple years ago that I wanted to go to law school. Am I the only one that hasn't decided what type of law to practice? I feel like whenever I say I'm going to law school but don't know what type of law I want to go into people look at me like I'm nuts. Aerynn, I also grew up in Orlando and then moved to Atlanta. I lived in Lake Mary growing up and then moved to Atlanta for HS and I just graduated from FSU. Virginia is "up north" to me, so I know the winter time is going to be rough. I'm not too worried about the humidity, I'm more worried about the pollen up there. I am seriously hoping that my earliest class will be at ten o'clock... I did my best during UG to never take a class before 11:00. Does anyone know when we are supposed to get our student ID numbers or schedules? I hope soon! Also, I didn't see anything about a second deposit due, was the seat deposit due yesterday the only one we have to turn in? Philibusters... do you know if any of the current 1Ls would want to sell their books, or do they usually just sell them back at the book store?

I went to UF and was an English major.  If you lived in Atlanta, I think the pollen count here is worse and is complicated by smog from the cars.  Atlanta has extremely poor air quality and has lost federal funding for highways as a result.

I think I want to do litigation or criminal prosecution.  So much of law practice depends on how you do in school.  Different people have different opportunities upon graduation, so I think if you don't know it is not that big a deal. :)  What areas generally are you interested in?

Last time I wrote admissions, they said the Student ID numbers were coming shortly after the May 1 seat deposit and they were happy to see I was so eager to use their website. I'm such a nerd.  :-[

My finance and I are looking to buy a 3 or 4 bedroom house in Newport News, about 15 minutes from school.  We might be looking to rent an extra room out, if anyone wants to live with two whippets, two cats, and a big screen TV. :-P
Here's how it went for me for Fall 2006 admission:
168/3.67
In: Emory($$), UGA ($), W&M ($$), GW($)
Waitlisted:American(W), UVA (W)
http://lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=aerynn

Tulip7

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 02, 2006, 11:39:19 PM »
Aerynn-- I guess we are rivals then! I am a born and raised gator hater (my dad is a Miami fan) yuck! I'm not really sure what I'm interested in, at first I thought maybe Intellectual Property but I have since changed my mind about that. I'm also thinking litigating would be neat, or maybe doing some sort of human rights law. I am sure I'll change my mind twenty more times, just like I did with my major in UG.
"What lies before us and what lies behind us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us" -Ralph Waldo Emerson

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=lwil8984

aerynn

• Sr. Citizen
  • Wait, what?
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #34 on: May 02, 2006, 11:54:02 PM »
First week of school, you and me, grudge match in the Courtroom 21 where we can teleconference it out and sell tickets.  ;) :D ;D ;) :D ;D

I have a feeling we'll end up being one of the few Florida-raised in our class and we'll end up being friends because our UGs were rival schools!  At least we will have something to talk about.

'Noles suck.  :P
168/3.67

Who dat?

« Reply #35 on: May 03, 2006, 10:56:14 AM »
I will be attending william & mary this fall   :)

Tulip7

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 03, 2006, 11:59:20 AM »
First week of school, you and me, grudge match in the Courtroom 21 where we can teleconference it out and sell tickets.  ;) :D ;D ;) :D ;D

I have a feeling we'll end up being one of the few Florida-raised in our class and we'll end up being friends because our UGs were rival schools!  At least we will have something to talk about.

'Noles suck.  :P

Do you think any of the games will be broadcast up in VA? Maybe we can find a good sportsbar with PPV

GOOOO NOLES!!! Gators Suck!
"What lies before us and what lies behind us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us" -Ralph Waldo Emerson

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=lwil8984

philibusters

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #37 on: May 03, 2006, 12:09:42 PM »
VA,especially with VT in the conference is ACC country, so probably 5 or 6 FSU games will be covered, maybe more. ESPN picks up a decent amount of ACC games, ABC has the bigger ones on it, and Jefferson/Pilot does an ACC game of the week, which usually isn't a good game cause ESPN AND ABC get first picks, but they would have a game like FSU V. Wake or something, in fact Jefferson Pilot did have that exact game this past year.
 CBS does SEC games and Flordia is probably the best known SEC football team right now, so my guess is that between CBS and ESPN maybe 5 or 6 gator games will be on tv.

Thats sweet Triumph, Good choice.
2008 graduate of William and Mary Law School

aerynn

• Sr. Citizen
  • Wait, what?
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #38 on: May 03, 2006, 12:33:13 PM »
I will be attending william & mary this fall   :)

Are you going to keep hanging on the waitlists, Triumph?  I took myself off UVA's waitlist.  I don't think I would switch even if they offered me a spot, so no point in giving myself fits turning down what was my first pick once upon a time.
168/3.67

CamJansen

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 03, 2006, 03:34:44 PM »
I'm late to the thread, but I'll be there in Fall. Looking forward to it. Holla.