Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Should I not write about this?  (Read 877 times)

1L2005

• View Profile
Should I not write about this?
« on: August 07, 2004, 02:39:39 PM »
So basically, while in my second year of college, the company my dad worked for went backrupt.  There was a big law suit and criminal investigation of the events that lead to the company failing and a lot of people have ended up going to prison because of it, including my father.  During the time between the company going under and leaving for prison, my father became an alcoholic, my parents went bankrupt and then got divorced. 

Needless to say, this has been the toughest challenge I and my family have had to face, and it's what I will be basing my PS on.  My question is, should I leave my father's prison sentence out of it, and just talk about the bankruptcy/divorce/alcoholism?  It did have an impact on my decision for law school, but I'm afraid it may reflect poorly on me if I mention it....thoughts?

foxnewssucks

Re: Should I not write about this?
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2004, 03:11:46 PM »
sounds too negative in my opinion.

1L2005

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2004, 03:22:18 PM »
I can see that.  We're all actually doing pretty well now, and have come through reasonably well (which I would also include) but yeah the circumstances were negative.

foxnewssucks

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2004, 03:25:15 PM »
Maybe focus on one aspect of it... divorce.. or bankruptcy... but I would not do all of the above.. write about how you continued to flourish even with the additional stress and chaos of your family life.

1L2005

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2004, 03:27:14 PM »
Ok, cool.  That's kind of what I was thinking, just focusing on part of it and not getting into all those details.