0 (0%)
Elliot Smith
 4 (6.6%)
Stevie Ray Vaughn
 3 (4.9%)
Sid Vicious
 1 (1.6%)

Total Members Voted: 46

Author Topic: Most Tragic Death  (Read 3785 times)

140am

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Most Tragic Death
« Reply #60 on: April 27, 2006, 10:39:47 PM »
Would Cobain get more votes if his death was determined not to be a suicide? 

Possibly, but my guess is it has more to do with the fact that he was talentless. Dave Groll is a far superior guitarist, singer, songwriter and musician than Kurt Cobain ever could have hoped to be.

I'm actually shocked anyone voted for him.

How old were you in 1992?

Not as old as Rev here, but older than most people on this board were.

A better question (if you are a Cobain fan) is do you actually play guitar? (or take yourself semi-seriously as a musician).

I hate when people try to make the argument that music that is simple to play is inferior to more difficult music.

I would much rather listen to early Blink-182 (very very simple, musically) than Yngwie Malmsteen.  If you say something, who cares how many words or chords you use to say it?

credited.

pass36

• Sr. Citizen
  • But it looks good on you!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #61 on: April 28, 2006, 12:34:37 AM »
I respect that, I really do and I would never claim Grohl to be a better lyricist. He doesn't take himself seriously as such anyway. But for me at least (and hence my own subjective judgement), lyrics are mostly irrelevant. I think you tell a story with your music and while your lyrics can be a vehicle for that I find they more often impede the message (again, that's just my opinion). So in regards to the point Lily was making about better songs, I believe the Cobain songs may have a broader appeal, possibly because the songs are simplistic, while Groll's music tends to be far more complex and at least from a technical perspective superior. As a teen I loved Nirvana. As I became more musically involved the music and Cobain began to bug me all that much more.

I can see all of your points.  I think that Grohl is a great drummer and a very good guitar player.  More than anything, he's good at coming up with riffs, which is imporant in pop music and in guitar music.  If you look back at Nirvana, the majority of the riffs were actually bass riffs, so a lot of the songs signature sounds came from Novaselic.

This is now becoming a sort of Lennon/McCartney.  I guess I'm a Cobain guy, but I like Grohl and his attitude and I think his output with the Foo Fighters has been a lot stronger than it's been credited for.  Plus his work on 'songs for the deaf' with Josh Homme/QOTSA was really great stuff.  It was like Nirvana +10 years.

Trivia question: on what Nirvana song(s) does Dave Grohl play bass?

ivywhore

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 28, 2006, 08:37:48 AM »
cobain is almost there....come on folks!

pass36

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #63 on: April 28, 2006, 09:53:21 PM »
cobain is almost there....come on folks!

Kurt Cobain's death was certainly tragic, and as much as I loved Nirvana growing up, I gotta say he brought it largely upon himself.

Please kids, just say no to Courtney Love.

Donnie my man, even though I have to give you partial credit for the Dave on bass question (Jesus Don't Want Me for a Sunbeam from Unplugged, and I think one of the Meat Puppets songs (Oh me?) and also a "bonus version" of Endless Nameless with Kurt on drums and Kris on guitar), I gotta ask what the heck you are talking about here????

If he did kill himself, then he brought it entirely on himself.  If somebody else pulled the trigger, it is not on his head just because he was a junkie.  I think it is all or nothing here - 100% him or 100% somebody willing to kill for Courtney's money.  If the police had developed the photos of the scene then the blood splatter patterns could be analyzed and possibly provide hard evidence.

FossilJ

• LSD Obsessed
  • Carbon-date THIS, biznitch!
    • View Profile
    • Cricket Rules!
    • Email
« Reply #64 on: April 28, 2006, 11:38:47 PM »
Either way, no big whoop.

*FLAME*

Pish, J only wants to waste YOUR time.  Get wise.

cyberrev

« Reply #65 on: April 29, 2006, 09:36:00 AM »
It's all based on the false assumption that drug addicts can't be high-functioning members of society. 

and that is a very false assumption.

i wonder how many recovering addicts are on this board.  i know of three at least.

140am

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: April 29, 2006, 12:53:46 PM »
It's all based on the false assumption that drug addicts can't be high-functioning members of society.

I can't believe nobody else picked up on this!  Classic!

(just posting this observation to bring some lightness back to the thread)

pass36

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #67 on: April 29, 2006, 03:47:57 PM »
Because the police failed to take seriously the collection and processing of physical evidence from the Cobain residence we will never know. 

Presumably there are every year some number of murder attempts that are disguised as suicides.  It is an open question how many are successful, but I would suggest that having a junkie for a victim would certainly not be a disadvantage because people are predisposed to attribute a suicidal mindset to a junkie.