0 (0%)
Elliot Smith
 4 (6.6%)
Stevie Ray Vaughn
 3 (4.9%)
Sid Vicious
 1 (1.6%)

Total Members Voted: 46

Author Topic: Most Tragic Death  (Read 3973 times)

140am

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Most Tragic Death
« Reply #50 on: April 26, 2006, 05:46:20 PM »
Yes, he OD'd as well.  He and his band were criminally underrated, mainly because they actually scored a major hit, but they were a ridiculous band.

pass36

• Sr. Citizen
  • But it looks good on you!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #51 on: April 26, 2006, 11:28:39 PM »
Lennon seems to be the clear people's choice.

Would Cobain get more votes if his death was determined not to be a suicide?  Both passings mark the end of eras, but Lennon personified a longer era with more historical resonance than the debris and residue of the grunge years.

For those commenting on the "Judas" version of Rolling Stone, I suggest the version of Thin Man that precedes it is the superior track, especially the version from the film with remastered vocals.  Dylan hits higher highs and lower lows in concert than anyone except maybe the Dead, the Allman Brothers and Guns and Roses.

140am

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 27, 2006, 10:29:22 AM »
Would Cobain get more votes if his death was determined not to be a suicide? 

Possibly, but my guess is it has more to do with the fact that he was talentless. Dave Groll is a far superior guitarist, singer, songwriter and musician than Kurt Cobain ever could have hoped to be.

I'm actually shocked anyone voted for him.

How old were you in 1992?

cyberrev

« Reply #53 on: April 27, 2006, 10:34:05 AM »
Would Cobain get more votes if his death was determined not to be a suicide? 

Possibly, but my guess is it has more to do with the fact that he was talentless. Dave Groll is a far superior guitarist, singer, songwriter and musician than Kurt Cobain ever could have hoped to be.

I'm actually shocked anyone voted for him.

How old were you in 1992?

32  >:(

140am

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 27, 2006, 11:56:11 AM »
Not as old as Rev here, but older than most people on this board were.

A better question (if you are a Cobain fan) is do you actually play guitar? (or take yourself semi-seriously as a musician).

Well, I don't play guitar or record music.  However, I am a rabid music fan.  I agree that Grohl has an often times strong voice, and is undoubtedly a better musician than Cobain was.  However, I think the thing about Cobain is that he perfectly embodied a sense of destructive ennui, and was really at the epicenter of the most prominent aesthetic in pop culture at that particular moment.  So as a pop culture figure, and as a recording artist, he transcends his actual musical abilities. 

Now as far as saying who of the two is a better songwriter, I would say Cobain, and I would say that his lyrics are far more scathing and insightful than they may come across.  He was a mess of a person, but as a songwriter, he was razor-sharp most of the time.

More than anything I'll submit that it's purely subjective, of course.

Sooner

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 27, 2006, 12:02:32 PM »
And how about the most prestigious death?
The University of Chicago
The Law School

Dunson II

« Reply #56 on: April 27, 2006, 03:07:01 PM »
Dunson's death was rather tragic. 

140am

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 27, 2006, 03:32:47 PM »
I respect that, I really do and I would never claim Grohl to be a better lyricist. He doesn't take himself seriously as such anyway. But for me at least (and hence my own subjective judgement), lyrics are mostly irrelevant. I think you tell a story with your music and while your lyrics can be a vehicle for that I find they more often impede the message (again, that's just my opinion). So in regards to the point Lily was making about better songs, I believe the Cobain songs may have a broader appeal, possibly because the songs are simplistic, while Groll's music tends to be far more complex and at least from a technical perspective superior. As a teen I loved Nirvana. As I became more musically involved the music and Cobain began to bug me all that much more.

I can see all of your points.  I think that Grohl is a great drummer and a very good guitar player.  More than anything, he's good at coming up with riffs, which is imporant in pop music and in guitar music.  If you look back at Nirvana, the majority of the riffs were actually bass riffs, so a lot of the songs signature sounds came from Novaselic.

This is now becoming a sort of Lennon/McCartney.  I guess I'm a Cobain guy, but I like Grohl and his attitude and I think his output with the Foo Fighters has been a lot stronger than it's been credited for.  Plus his work on 'songs for the deaf' with Josh Homme/QOTSA was really great stuff.  It was like Nirvana +10 years.

cyberrev

« Reply #58 on: April 27, 2006, 05:33:54 PM »
Dunson's death was rather tragic. 

but he came back.

magnumalv

« Reply #59 on: April 27, 2006, 06:24:20 PM »
Gosh, y'all are so civilized during your musical debates.

Where's scott? We need some expletives to liven it up a bit.  :D